Grumble, grumble, moan, argh, AHH!!!!

Di_in_AZ

I am home from my show and it SUCKED!! The show was slow. I made $96.00!!!!! I paid $25.00 (split my space with another vendor) and so I guess that was good. She only made $12.00. The two vendors across from us made zip.

They placed me next to a Partylite vendor!!! I was so pissed. When the show organizer came in I loudly expressed my discontent at being placed next to another candle vendor and also I told her that I thought it was in very bad taste for a crafts show to be accomodating a COMPANY for crying out loud. This is a big pet peeve of mine, these companies are in direct competition with the handcraft market and shows like this allow them--nothing at that table was handmade. I said this loud enough for Partylite lady to hear, I have had a run-in with her before and she always runs on about "her" candles. So, I always say, "Oh did you make them" and she usually looks at me dumbfounded.

Oh well, sorry just needed to vent.

:( I'm sorry the show went so poorly. Hopefully the organizer will think twice about letting that sort of vendor in at future shows.

They won't--and that brings me to another thing that annoyed me (I am on a roll here). It is a military spouse's club show. It has traditionally been a good show. Last year it wasn't so great and this year worse. So then they say that they think it is because last year and this year they had in on a weekend that wasn't a payday weekend--doh you think?

That was also the reason behind why they say they let Partylite and others in because they feel military wives do those things so they should accomodate them. The Partylite lady is not military, HELLO! I know that from meeting her before. Her husband has a successful business in town. Several of the other companies represented weren't military either. Who knows? I won't be doing the show again so I guess it should be Who cares? LOL

Edit to say: I think having these type of companies there detracts from the show and I think it probably has something to do with their low attendance. Realistically I hate having to go to those type of home parties when friends invite me. I wouldn't want to go to a show that consisted of them. I like crafts shows to see handmade, unique things, not crap I can buy at Kmart.

I agree with you. My show was okay, but there were TWO Home Interior people there. I was so mad. THe lady selling them looked like she took no pride in herself, but her display was set up nice. I kept thinking "of course it is, she has someone telling her where to put everything and doing everything for her." The only thing that she has to do is sit there. It takes no brains, no creativity.

I am sorry that happened. That is one of the reasons I decided to give up shows for good. I tried 2 last year - one was good but only $50 the other was $575 and it listed in bold no commercial items and I asked if I could group warmers in baskets with my handcrafted candles and was told it was a violation.....well about 8 booths down a tart lady was there (I say tart lady cause that is all she had) but she had tart warmer/burners displays that took up more room than the tarts....talk about angry. That was her 3rd show with the promotors. I spoke to them about it and they claimed they didn't know she was going to bring it. yeah right.

I was at a show yesterday that had a horrible turnout, maybe 50 people all day long (which included children in strollers)! The description of the show was that there would be heavy promotion, etc. There was NONE! An hour before the show the doors weren't even open, no signs were out, etc. It was a "family" day event and it could have been great. Booth fee was small $20.00, walked away with $200. I do enjoy meeting the other people at the shows, which is why I keep doing it.

As for the "home party" business, it would be nice if they didn't come to the shows, but one bonus you can point out is that people walk away with your product that day, not in 4 weeks and have to pay shipping. Last year there was a Home Interior person directly across from me, the dimwit said to her husband, we haven't sold one candle yet. He said, "Honey, it's because the lady across from you has nicer candles." That was worth it all!!!

I don't know why some shows even have rules. I done one last year, and will be doing it again this year, that stated clearly in the rules that all items must be handmade. We even had to submit a photo of our items to the committee for approval.

When I got there there was a lady who set up beside me with purses, hundreds of them. From a distance they could have passed for the quilted purses that people actually make, until you got up close and saw the vivary tags hanging off them. I didn't take anything that wasn't handmade, but this year I'm taking my tart warmers and a few gift baskets. I'm not even going to ask if it's ok.

I done another show a few weekends ago, they also requested that all items be handmade, but there was a table a few down from me that looked like a huge yardsale. I think they just cleaned out their garage and basement and brought everything they didn't use anymore. I wouldn't mind so much if the rules didn't state that all items must either be handmade or directly related to your handmade items. But it's really bothersome when you put so much time and work into your items and then you see somebody else with Wal-mart items on their table.

tell me about been to two shows this year that way. The last one i had actually beg and fuss to get in cause my hubby works with me he restores and rebuilds old radios he finds like 1900 types and they fussed about it. then when i got their i seen a booth had china made pitcher and bowls that pissed me off. so i know how ya feel Dia.They fussed with me over my hubby work for 2 weeks before they let me in and i consider his craft just as important as mine my goodness he takes a old radio and makes them brand new and beautiful no differnt then us taking our supplies and making beautiful candles know what i mean ugh. i'm gonna hush and get off my soapbox LOL

but i do understand where your coming from Dia. Thats why shows are suckie people just not interested in stuff they can get at flea makets and walmart and places.

Well at least we can know and say that our products have thought, care and quality behind them. At the end of the day, that's what I'll cling to, although clinging to a stack of Jacksons would be nice as well! I do two shows right now -- it'll be my third year doing each of them. One is really small, under 30 vendors but it's called the Santa Shop and everything is $8 or less -- doesn't sound like much, I know, but it's geared for kids to come in and shop for their parents, teachers, etc.... The booth fee is really low ($18) and I made out pretty well last year. Some items are completely handmade, some aren't. When I've only done candles in the past everything was handmade, but with delving into B&B stuff, I'll have some accessories that aren't. I'm okay with that and I'm not even going to ask the show organizer about it ..... because if someone can sell Crayola learning kits, I can sell bath poufs and scrubbers!

Stick to your guns, Di, and don't go back!

(BTW -- I am still in love with your Linden Green Tea soap from the summer swap :yay: )

Well at least we can know and say that our products have thought, care and quality behind them. At the end of the day, that's what I'll cling to, although clinging to a stack of Jacksons would be nice as well! I do two shows right now -- it'll be my third year doing each of them. One is really small, under 30 vendors but it's called the Santa Shop and everything is $8 or less -- doesn't sound like much, I know, but it's geared for kids to come in and shop for their parents, teachers, etc.... The booth fee is really low ($18) and I made out pretty well last year. Some items are completely handmade, some aren't. When I've only done candles in the past everything was handmade, but with delving into B&B stuff, I'll have some accessories that aren't. I'm okay with that and I'm not even going to ask the show organizer about it ..... because if someone can sell Crayola learning kits, I can sell bath poufs and scrubbers!

Stick to your guns, Di, and don't go back!

(BTW -- I am still in love with your Linden Green Tea soap from the summer swap :yay: )

Thanks :) Hubby loves that so I have had to make more--that was SW by the way so you can find it and the ingredients were on the label :).

I actually stopped by a candle store in town on the way home from the show. I discussed wholesaling. It may be the way for me to go and avoid the hassles. I just don't want to let down my repeat customers. I already bowed out of one show this year and some of my customers showed up yesterday asking why. I did do another show to replace it, but they never thought to go to my site and see where my shows were this year (I do tell them to check, but I don't think they ever do!).

I have three shows left so I will see how I do. Surprisingly, they are traditionally my smallest shows, and last year I sold the most at those shows. Weird.

:angry2: This also makes me so mad. Why call it a craft show if you are going to let all the other crap in? I checked one out this spring I was thinking of doing & out of the 30 vendors, only 2 were crafters! One had painted items, the other soap-I only bought from those 2! Needless to say that I didn't do their shows!

I have been doing this one big show now for years, they have changed the name of it to craft fair & marketplace to cover items not hand made. This year was horrible, low turnout & people weren't buying, not even stopping to sniff:confused:

I guess if they don't get enough crafters for the show they let anyone in so they can sell spaces. I wish the ones who run the shows would tell the ones that bring in items not made by them, to take it out of the show. I know it would never happen but I can keep on dreamin!!

IMO, there are simply too many shows. It seems as if every church and school is hosting a "craft fair" these days, and when they only find 3 people signing up, they fill it with whatever they can. Then when the crafts people don't do well, they are unlikely to return. It is a vicious circle. Lots of the people hosting the shows are only in it for the money, which of course is nice, but they should be interested in putting on a quality show as well.

At this point, other than home shows, we just don't have another outlet for selling other than the craft shows - but it is ALOT of work for very little sales this year...very, very disappointing!

We have two more home shows scheduled and one more holiday craft fair. I am so hoping we at least make enough money to buy supplies - forget anything extra...like that silicone grubby votive mold I have been eyeing.........lol

I hesitate to even contemplate wholesale at this point. Since we both work full-time and have no intention of quitting our jobs, I don't know if we would be able to handle that.

Can you tell I am just totally confused as to where we are going with this? LOL

Sorry your shows didn't do well - I truly feel your disappointment and frustration - especially those of you who had to deal with all the other people selling items that were NOT hand-crafted!!

I am glad that my first show coming up this weekend (nov 3) the firebarn won't allow anything but homemade stuff. I went to a local farmer's market in my area and an avon rep was there complaining about this show not letting her in...Well a craft show is a craft show, made for people who make crafts and such...not for the ones buying all of their goods and selling it. So I was rather happy about that.

wendi

I'm sorry that your show turned out like that. I had a TERRIBLE show this weekend too. I only sold 4 candles all weekend, about 10 air fresheners ALL weekend. As we were leaving for the show my husband threw some baskets in that he makes just for the heck of it. He sold he sold a bunch of them or we wouldn't have made our booth fee. We weren't the only ones not selling. Almost every vendor there hardly sold anything at all and I've heard of a couple of other shows that also didn't turn out very good this weekend. I guess thats just the way it goes sometimes.

Sorry your show was a dud but at least you went home with some money. I did a car show two weeks ago and it was a dud too. Made my booth fee and that was it!

As far as Party Lite and such, I don't care for it either but they will somehow always be at the shows. I don't mind because I've gone up against all of the big names and come out ahead every time! They generally pack up early and go home because they won't make money when I'm there. I make a better product and I can prove it. My prices are reasonable and I stay professonal no matter what. Last year they set me up next to golden Canyon Rep. The show started at 9.00am and she packed up and went home at noon! She complained to the woman running the show that she wouldn't be back!:confused: .

No, it's not fair to those who have a handmade product but the only shows that don't allow are the juried shows. So maybe look for juried shows only

Fire

• 3 months later...

We were at a show last year advertised as a home based business show. Turns out there were more "commercial" vendors than anything else. There was a Partylite vendor across the aisle from us as well as a Mia Bella vendor down the row from us. The thing that ticked me off was that the Mia Bella guy came to our table 3 times trying to get us to join his group. I finally asked him how much $ he made last year and when I told him I made more than he I asked "Why would I join you...have to share my income with others in my group when I made more than you doing this alone?" Not sure if his income he stated was accurate and really none of my business...the point being WHY SHOULD I join something that shares percentages of profits when we're doing fine on our own?? Not to mention we hand pour our candles as opposed to being poured via machines mass produced. The Mia Bella factory is close by...less than 20 minutes awayd from us......but our customers buy from us BECAUSE we hand pour! Just venting...thanks! Thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. :rolleyes2