Help Reformulating Spray Lotion!

countrysoaper

Hi Everyone! I need some expert advice here. I purchased 5 gallons of a Spray lotion base because it was on sale, I can't pass up a good buy! LOL The problem is I really don't care much for the base, is there anything that I can do to maybe thicken it up to make a thicker lotion or cream? i just don't know where to start. I thought I would come here for some advice from the experts before I go messing up this lotion. TIA! Branda

Here are the ingredients:

purified water

canola oil

stearic acid

peg-75

lanolin

sodium isostearyl lactylate

glycerin

cetyl alcohol

corbomer 934

DMDM hydantoin

lethyl parabens

propyl papbens

jojoba oil

I purchased 5 gallons of a Spray lotion base because it was on sale, I can't pass up a good buy! LOL The problem is I really don't care much for the base, is there anything that I can do to maybe thicken it up to make a thicker lotion or cream?

First, can I ask why you'd buy a SPRAY lotion base (it has to be thin to be sprayable) only to want to thicken it to a regular lotion consistency (or more)? Sorry, I'm just not seeing the logic in that at all... :confused:

However, it CAN be done, but you're going to mess up the preservative system, and it's not going to be a simple fix. If you're really wanting it a normal lotion or cream consistency, simply adding some butter isn't going to thicken it up much. And if you add enough that it does thicken, you're probably going to need more emulsifier, & definitely need more preservative. But unless the manufacturer is willing to tell you the usage rate they used for the preservative, you won't know how much you'll need to add to have it covered.

Also, if you add a butter, you'll need to melt the butter, you'll also need to warm the lotion base, otherwise, you'll end up with a gritty lotion because the butter will solidify when it's poured into the cold base. If you heat the base, you also run the risk of compromising the current preservative system.

So, yes, it CAN be done, but probably shouldn't be. Not unless you know quite a bit about making lotion. And I'm guessing if you did, you probably would be making your own, and not buying a base. Sorry for being 'negative' about it. Just being realistic. It's MUCH easier to make a thick lotion thinner than to thicken a thin lotion. There are some thickening products out there that you could try, but you'll still have the preservative issues.