Grainy Lip Butter???

AkainePSP

What would cause this recipe to go grainy after a few days? It still melts into your lips but its somewhat grainy when it goes on. Did I do something wrong when I created the recipe? When I first made it it melted right into your lips with a nice smooth creamy feel. I thought at first it was the sweetener I added perhaps not getting it mixed all the way but its happening to some of the ones I didn't add sweetener to as well.

37.5% Mango Butter

25% Sweet Almond Butter

25% Avocado Oil

12.5% Beeswax

Flavor Oil

Sweetener is optional

Thanks

I think it's probably your percentage of mango butter... it's crystalizing on you? My lip balms usually stay very smooth and creamy, but I played with my last batch and really upped the amount of mango butter.... and now it's a little bit gritty as well, but it still melts on contact. You can try decreasing the mango and increasing the beeswax - that may work.

Mango will go grainy if you do not temper it...by this I mean once it's melted continue heating on lowest temp for 5 or so more minutes...I do this in my micro...

melt my butters in 1 minute increments (at a 7 setting) until liquified...then switch to low and continue heating

I'm not sure I've never done it...also don't know how the FO and other ingredients would react...special concern about the FO depending on it's flash point and how high you re-heat...guess you could try it on low all the way through and keep a close eye on it.