Hurricane-Yea

Well - just made my first hurricane today :yay: and can't wait for it to cool. A couple who are dear friends of mine just got married. They are older and there is nothing they don't have. Was trying to come up with something and then I thought about the hurricane with a picture of them embedded. So, I did it. Had to improvise since I didn't have a hurricane mold but used my 4x6 and plugged wick hole. Just hope my picture isn't crooked! Then did the water bath thing and just had to stand there and hold the mold down cause I didn't have nothing to weigh it down with! Wax left over made tea lights & scented very lightly-cause friend doesn't like to much scent, allergies - with CS Rain Water. So now just waiting. If it turns out good will post picture. Will try a tea light in it before giving it and be sure it doesn't melt. Tried to be sure the walls were thick, just hope picture shows up good.

Will it be better to put a little tea light cup in bottom or just use the tea light in tin thing it is poured in?

I use a glass tealight holder with tealight in the tin cup. The tealights get very warm on the bottom as they burn down and can embed themselves in the bottom of the 'cane, or if the 'cane is setting on something hollow underneath (like a curved bowl), the tealight can melt all the way through the bottom (don't ask me how I know this - twice! :embarasse).

Can hardly wait to see a photo! I LOVE 'canes!:)

You'll definitely want to get a glass tea light holder. Don't know if one of those heavier ones will fit in your 'cane but that would be a good choice. Also put a small ceramic tile or piece of cork under the glass. Or some folks have poured sand in the bottom of their 'cane for protection. Be sure to post a picture when you take it out of the mold.

Thanks you'all. I had to pick up granddaughters from school so stopped by dolllar store. They had the real heavy ones so got 2 of them. It felt cool and just tried to get out of mold but no luck. Wait till later tonight and if won't come out guess I will stick it in freezer.

I have the worst kind of feelin that it ain't gonna come out:( Think I will go ahead and stick in freezer while I am grilling steaks for supper. Let you know later - be thinking what I can do to get it out if freezin it don't work:angry2:

my biggest problem with canes is being impatient. The longer you leave them in the mold the better they will slide out. I have trouble waiting because I always want to see how they turned out! Be patient! And good luck!

Not bad for your first. Sharyl helped me learn when I first started. I would never never never put it in the freezer. That is a sure way to crack it. I put mine in the refrigerator turned upside down for 15 minutes. Most of the time gravity helps it unmold and I take it out carefully so it doesn't drop out of the mold. The trick with hurricanes is not to unmold them to quickly. I get impatient too but in the long run it doesn't pay off if you ruin your candle. I have ruined a lot.....impatience is my middle name. Every so often I spray silicone in my molds too. One trick that helps if you have problems with certain molds it to drill a hole in the bottom....yes....a hole in a hurricane mold. I use little rubber plugs in the hole and then pour my candle. When the candle is cool you take out the rubber plug and it releases the pressure and the candle comes out much easier. I have some acrylic molds that I am going to drill. When they make a tin mold there is a slight difference from the diameter at the top and bottom....so it comes out easier. That can't be done with aluminum because they extrude it. Also with the acrylic. Wax really sticks in my acrylic molds. Especially when I mix it with beeswax.....so next batch will be done with holes in the bottom. I also recently switched to little fuel cells instead of tea lights or votives. They don't get hot. But if you do want to make your own or use ready made be sure to put a little tile under the tea light and be sure it stays centered. If I do a 4" diameter, then I pour a few inches of wax in the bottom to raise the flame closer to the top. It doesn't get as good of a glow through effect, but it is so much safer. Also, if you use tin tea light cups, you diminish the light coming off of the flame whereas using plastic or glass lets the light shine through. Hope this helps. Donita

Thanks Donita - Your canes are beautiful. What is the trick to getting your picture to stay straight? That was the hardest thing for me. Yea - I don't like to put any pillars in freezer but I took it out after 10 and tried and then did 5 more. My mold had the wick hole in the bottom and I thought that would help when I took plug out. Just got impatient I think! I wondered about pouring a little extra wax in the bottom, now I know I can. I got the thick tea light holder and it fit perfectly in bottom. Kept checking it while tea light was burning and it just got slightly warm on the bottom. No warmth on the side.

Might try another one. When my friend sees that one she will probably want one done with her 4 legged baby - Austie.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

If you look closely at my photos you can see that I print a 1/4" black border around the photo and then cut it 1/4" around that. I set it in the bottom of the mold and that gives me a 1/2" border up from the bottom of the mold for the picture to sit. They come out straight this way....no guessing. If you just cut it without a border, the white paper stands out. This way it looks "on purpose"....Donita

I burn my soy plastic cup tealights straight on the floor of my hurricanes until they burn out (about 4 hours) on purpose to see what happens. They just barely stick to the bottom, and i just give a tug to the side and they pop right out. I've found that when I use a tealight holder the glass acts as a magnifier for the heat, and then I actually damage the hurricane. I like the sand idea though.

Yeah - I like the sand also. I think I probably made the walls of my hurricane thicker than they said, sorta on purpose to be sure the sides didn't get hot. The bottom after several hours was barely warm. If I make more I might make the walls a little thinner. May try one for Christmas of my grandchildren for their mother & daddy. Think my son would really like that.