GW464 and Votives: why not? :)

Other than of course that it's not _meant_ to be a votive wax :)

464 seems to work dandy for tarts and votives are nothing more than container candles without the included containers - you don't burn votives without a votive holder anyway. Obviously the melt point is a little lower than we'd normally like for a votive but I don't know that it's a total show-stopper.

I haven't made votives for a long time since the molds were a PITA but I've been considering trying the votive clamshell molds - for some reason I get LOTS of requests for votives, mostly from wholesale accounts. Apparently customers want to try a cheap version before they commit to a larger container candle :)

Anyway, I'm looking for pitfalls of doing this. I don't really want to carry another wax just to make votives but it may come down to that I'm afraid.

Guest Candelishis

DON'T DO IT!!!! - LOL...

I use 464 for my tarts (in clamshells) and my containers. I thought "hmm, I bet this would work for votives too!"...it doesn't...

I don't know about the clamshell molds, but it definitely doesn't agree with metal molds. I put mold release on them, poured, and they wouldn't come out. I stuck them in the freezer for 5 minutes - nothing. 10 minutes - nothing. Now, some of them would come out, but I actually ended up throwing away molds and wick pins because I couldn't get it out of the molds and I got mad (I have a bit of a temper...Polish & Irish....). the biggest aggravation would be when I got the votive out, but the wick pin would get so stuck in there that I would end up banging on it with a hammer, and then the candle would break in half and I'd have to throw it out too.

I got some 474 and it works well.

I didn't want to carry two waxes either, but trust me - it's better than having all the problems I had with it. 464 was just not meant for votives.

lol! You sound like me :) Once I get to "that point" in my frustration meter, all bets are off and hell hath no fury like a ticked off candlemaker ;)

But if the 464 releases fine from the plastic tart clamshells, I can't think of a reason they wouldn't release from the same plastic votive clamshells, can you? I mean, same stuff both ways right?

Guest Candelishis

Yeah, you would think/hope that it would release from the votive clamshell. Can you use wick pins with those? Or how would you wick it? I've never used them. I've always done the metal molds with the wick pins. I vote for you trying it out and letting me know :) LOL. I can't handle any more disappointment with votives - I'm thinking of discontinuing them altogether.

My anger fuse gets shorter the longer I make candles.

I have a pretty long fuse, but don't let it burn to the end!!!!!! When I get really fired up I cry...it's weird. I don't cry if I'm sad or you hurt my feelings, but if you piss me off I'll start bawling....lol....there have been many tears shed over candle testing.

Lol .. ok, I'll be the guinea pig on this one :) Next order I place for FO's I'll pick up a couple and some of the self-centering pre-tabbed wicks (LX16 yay!) and I'll give them a shot :) Stay tuned to this station .. further bulletins as events warrant ;)

Guest Candelishis

teehee....self-centered wicks....:)

Yay! We talked you into it. Do let us know. If it doesn't work, I'm going to say screw you to votives and never make them again!!! If it does...I'll still make them, but only at Christmas time...

I would like to not make them ... thought I had left them behind when I quit using paraffin and my old metal votive molds. But I've got wholesale accounts that want them badly and I feel myself getting sucked down into the depths already..

BUT I won't do them if they're a PITA again, which is why I'm looking at using my same wax and those clamshell thingies. We'll see how it goes :)

I sell them for $2.50 each or 5/$10. They go FAST at Christmas time! I'm using an HTP-41 for most scents and get a 10 hour burn time even with the 6 mm wick tabs. So it's very similar to a votive, but people really like the look of it. They have a decent scent throw too- good enough for a small room and I even can smell them in my kitchen (pretty big).

-Kristi

I haven't checked in for a few days, but wanted to offer that I've always used container wax for my votives. Although, you'll need additives to make the wax hard enough to withstand handling & raise the mp. I sell a ton of votives, but wouldn't make another one, if I had to work w/ metal molds. I use Dixie Cups & pop them out by the dozens.

Good luck -- Susan.

Nope. Dixie Cup votives are 3oz & tapered -- metal mold votives are (generally) 2oz & straight sided. The large flower pot or oyster cup holders fit perfectly. I sell the holders & label the votives as too large to fit into a standard straight sided holder. Maybe it's a Texas thing, but everyone says they like the larger size better. I have no problem getting $3. each, so I don't mind making them at all!

Susan.

Well, as promised I ordered some of the clamshell molds and the LX16 self-centering tabbed wicks with my last FO order.

I used my normal GW464 process except that I let them cool down to about 130F before I poured them into the plastic clamshells. Let them cool overnite and the next morning, guess what? They won't come out of the molds. Tried the freezer for a few minutes, still no-go. I did finally get them out but it was a PITA and they didn't look good at all by the time I manhandled them out of the molds.

So the verdict is: don't do it.

Now for the votives I did NOT add any coconut oil, since I don't really care about frosting in a votive. Whether that would have made a difference I don't know. Definitely need something harder to contract and come out of the mold easily and to withstand handling.

Sucks because was really hoping to not have to carry another kind of was :( Now I have to decide if I want to get another wax or to just pass on being able to provide votives.