2" palm pillar

OK, I think I have some viable options for the 3" palm pillar, but now I'm bending my efforts toward the 2" and tearing my hair out.

First, is a 2" even viable? I mean, with the shell being left and all, is there enough melt pool to get a good hot throw? (don't ask ME what I think, I have almost no sense of smell - honestly, and so once I get a good & safe burn going I have friends test for the throw). Or do I even want a shell with a 2" pillar...

Anyway, any wick recos for this?

CareBear, you must be psychic! I am test burning a 2" vanilla palm pillar as we speak! I have tried a CD 6 and am testing a 7 right now... The 6 was close, but not quite enough, so I am trying a CD 7 and praying it doesn't blow out. I tried a CDN 8 with one a month or so ago and it was too much wick. These 2 inchers are tough to get just right! I am trying to wick it for no shell, but we'll just have to see... such a fine line...

Good luck to us both! :)

I've not done palm but the 2" in paraffin is a real PITA to wick. Dont' know if this applies to palm wax but here's something I learned. I wicked a 2" with and LX16, it was too big and almost breached...wicked up to the next size and it worked!! Reason being is that the larger wick consumed the wax quicker - sounds wierd huh? There was a thread a few weeks back about wicking 2" that Top responded to with more detailed explanation.

And NO, I don't think the throw of a 2" is worth the hair loss:laugh2: ...but do make them once in a while as part of a set.

I've not done palm but the 2" in paraffin is a real PITA to wick. Dont' know if this applies to palm wax but here's something I learned. I wicked a 2" with and LX16, it was too big and almost breached...wicked up to the next size and it worked!! Reason being is that the larger wick consumed the wax quicker - sounds wierd huh? There was a thread a few weeks back about wicking 2" that Top responded to with more detailed explanation.

And NO, I don't think the throw of a 2" is worth the hair loss:laugh2: ...but do make them once in a while as part of a set.

Well, my 18 also bust a gut, so I'm trying the 20. If that doesn't cut it I try a different kind of wick.

One of these day when I feel the need to torture myself, I'll try palm:laugh2:

I tried soy and so far, I like palm pillars better, just to let ya know ;) . But I haven't tried a 2 inch one yet... I have a pillar mold that is crinolated and probably the width of your standard votive... IDK if I'd try it with palm... I tried it with soy (along with my 3" ones and flower pot 3 wick ons) and could not wick them for the life of me... had wax everywhere... lol.

Maybe now that I've been at soy for a year and a half, I'll give the soy pillars a wack. who knows...

I like my 3 inch palm pillar, though. It's been slow going but wicked with a CD 14 (after 16 was too much for it)... it's on its 3rd burn right now and still holding... we'll see if the sides hold up!

:)

we'll see if the sides hold up!

Violet, don't forget to keep turning it every 15-20 minutes so one side doesn't burn away more than the others - very important with self-trimming, curling wicks like Stabilos (CDs & CDNs). I love burning out palm pillars. I have a big ol' 16 point tin star mold that I poured with pale blue-grey palm wax (ocean), wicked with a CDN 22. I burn it every few nights, for 4-6 hours at a session :tongue2:... They are so pretty when they are hollowed out with a tea light inside. :)

I have an order for one that I'll try to remember to grab a photo of before I send it out the door. ;)

I have a pillar mold that is crinolated

Ummm, I dunno what crinolated is exactly... Is it like ruffled? :embarasse

There is a spiral pillar mold I haven't had the nerve to try yet... Has anyone done one of those in palm wax?:drool:

Violet, don't forget to keep turning it every 15-20 minutes so one side doesn't burn away more than the others - very important with self-trimming, curling wicks like Stabilos (CDs & CDNs).]

Ummm, I dunno what crinolated is exactly... Is it like ruffled? :embarasse

There is a spiral pillar mold I haven't had the nerve to try yet... Has anyone done one of those in palm wax?:drool:

Stella- I didn't know that about turning the pillars! Thanks! I do turn them just cuz I like to see the glow from the wick, though... but probably not as often as that. I will do so and see if it makes a difference. I'm really having fun with the 3" ones... hehe.

It's ridged, kinda cool really... I don't know what to call it really... can't think of what the ebayer called the mold when I bought it last fall. ugh... but I won't be making it into a sex candle, I swear ;)(for those who saw the thread about my "sexotic candles..." haha). It has these ridges that go in and out in triangular shapes? I am probably having a brain fart... la la la...

:yay::laugh2: Gotta love those!

Violet