can some oils get stronger as they age ?

firstlady

Hi everyone its been a while since i had a chance to get on here... lastnight i made up some tarts for a lady out of the last 1/2 ounce oil i had of island mango, and it smells so strong even tho it is at least over a year old, i'm thinking about melting the tarts again and adding more wax, maybe this would make them not as strong. i don't want to buy a new bottle of this scent because i didn't get a lot of orders for it . it still has a good smell just seems like to me stronger :confused:

Are you saying that you don't like them strong? That's contrary to what most people want out of a tart.;) Or are you worried somehow about strength = too much FO?

I think that as long as you follow the recommendations for your wax, it doesn't matter how effective the oil is, it's still only that amt of oil. If that makes any sense. :)

Sometimes when an fragrance oil goes 'bad' it will 'turn' as opposed to just loosing it's scent or becoming weaker. Often this results in a fermented/vinegar/wine type smell depending on the ingredients of the oil. Could that be what you are noticing? When poured and burned it will add a different character to the scent and you might not really notice it as 'bad'... just different, more pungent, etc. But it's all about how the tart smells in the end right? Unless 'Strong' means bad, I don't think i'd remelt and add wax. Hopefully she isn't in a hurry for them and you can let them cure for at least a few days to get a truer sense of what they will smell like when melted. Good luck.

thanks Blaze.. i think you hit the nail on the head...sort of speaking.. its not a bad smell just or different , other than stronger to me, the one i test hubby didn't say anything so it might just been me..lol i called and told her to use only one tart and in a big room ( mine was in my small room) and if they were to strong for her to just trash them.. this was the last bit of oil and i'm not buying more because i didn't sell a lot of tarts in this scent and have now just about stop making tarts other than for family and and my self plus a few people i know that buys faithful off me, i found i just didn't have time to give it my full attention to really push for the sales, nor web site or craft shows, this small place i live at.. that would be the only way to sell lot of tarts. i 've been so busy all summer remodeling and doing repairs around the house i haven't make but a few batches up, i still enjoy doing them and i will do more this winter but not as to make money from it. just a hobby thing.