2nd time someone has hacked my cc # from paypal...

Michi

UGH I'm sooooo pissed right now!

I go into our bank to check balances and such and see that my cc (through our bank) has been used to make 2 different purchases supposedly through PP. I obviously did NOT make these pmts. and there is no record through PP, yet the info. on my statement shows they are PP accts. that the money went to! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

One for over $60 and one for almost $200. GRRRRRRR

This happened once before and I guess our bank caught it somehow before I even reported and removed it, not sure how they know for sure it's fraudulent, but I'm am sooo livid, I think I'm going to cancel my PP account, or at least take all my cc info. and bank acct. info off it.

I'm going to call PP right now and find out what the deal is-how is it so easy to get my info off of there?

OMG I'm soooo done with using my cc on PP!

I decided to go through the cc. statement history, and there are like 8-10 times this has happened since August!! WTF?

It seems that somehow someway, my bank realizes they are unauthorized, and my acct. get credited back, so hopefully these others will as well. But still, this is absolutely ridiculous!

What if my bank didn't catch them (how they do it I do not know??) and didn't believe me or whatever? I'd be screwed, blued and tattooed for sure! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I'll definitely let you all know, if they can tell me (either the bank or PP).

I haven't been able to call them as of yet, cuz DH has this particular card on his person, and he's in a meeting. You KNOW the bank AND PP are gonna ask me for the #!!

I do not like being F---ed with and will not tolerate it, if that means I have to close down my PP account, so be it. If they cannot protect their customers/bread & butter more than this, than they shouldn't be asking people to give their acct. #'s to them either!!!!! :mad:

Can you tell I'm a little miffed? LOL

Guest Candelishis

If there's no record through YOUR paypal account, somebody has got your credit card info and has opened a separate paypal account with that card.

This has been going on since AUGUST? And the bank never called or sent a notify?

OMG! Did you change your password and user name after it happened the first time? WOW! I've never had a bad experience so far. But I never, ever- open any emails from Paypal. Not even the ones I know are legit. I just got my new Paypal "key", I wanted to try it for more security.

Something is very wrong here, IMO.

Yep, something is definitely rotten in Denmark!

The other 2 times this happened they were on the same day and I caught them and reported them, but when I did the statement history search today I found another from the 13th of this month that the bank hasn't taken care of and 2 others that were in Aug. That they credited back the very same day they were charged.

Nope, the bank never did notify us, which to me is wierd also, how could they know they were not done by one of us??

I have never ever opened or clicked on any PP email either. I've been using PP since '99 so I knew all about those scams and such!

That leaves me to believe that someone has gotten my cc #s from me using them on PP. How I do not know but you can believe I'm going to do everything to find out!

Unfortunately I have to wait for DH to get home from work and call the bank cuz the card is in his name.

Tight security for the wife who has all the proper security info AND a card with my name on it, but not on the actual account-yet somehow someone's using this cc#-go figure!

My uncle had his card numbers stolen from him by a waitress at a nice resturaunt. The person who stole it needed a computer we guess, they purchased a 2,000 dollar one. He was pretty livid. It has taken him two months to get it all fixed. Definitely get the PP Key. It is free if you are registered as a business account. Another tip, A credit card can only be registered on one paypal account so, if you have them all listed on your one account then there is no way that they are using your card on another account. Hope all work out.

Someone else mentioned this, but change your password... frequently. This sounds to me as a really odd case and there's something fishy about it. Especially that your bank knows that it's fraudulent...I'd be talking to my bank first about how they know and if they've got inside info on how it could happen to help you better figure out what options to take. But, definately change your password. Use uppercase and numbers for better security. Sorry this has happened, I'd be soooooo mad!

I would be seriously upset with my bank! Do you have a PayPal Debit card? I believe you can set the card (which you can use as a CC) to draw directly out of your checking acct, that sounds like what is happening here! I am so sorry! I hope you get it all straight and that your bank will be better in the future about notifying you of suspicious activities!!

Oh Lord what a friggin' mess this was!

Ok, first I talked with the bank, and they said they had nothing to do with it, that Paypal was processing the original charge AND the credit back to my account.

So, talked with a guy at PP just a few minutes ago and basically what he told me is that, whomever is using this cc did NOT get the info. from them. The creep was trying to use it through them (4 charges total all on the same day-over $300), but that pp somehow knew they were unauthorized charges and credited my card back and red flagged the number, so they will not be able to use it through them again.

He couldn't tell me how they know this- He said that they have tools and resources but that it's private b/c if he told everyone then the bad guys would know how to get around those securities, which obviously makes sense.

I needed my primary cc # that I use through PP to call them, so when I checked my account this morning, I realized that particular cc is not even on this account anymore, hasn't been for some time, duhhh on me.

Therefore, the reason I was never contacted about these fraudulent charges etc. is that no one from PP could, b/c all the info. they had there was the card # and a name, no PP account attached to it, etc.

He also assured me that any info I provide PP with is completely secure, etc.

Anyway, the cc is NOW cancelled and I'm just a freakin' mess, b/c I keep thinking how anywhere I use ANY of my cc's, like a restaurant for instance, someone could take my cc info and then use it. Obviously no one has this actual cc cuz it's in my husband's wallet, but somehow someway they got the info. needed to be able to use it!

SCARY!

So in a not so small nutshell, the card was being used THROUGH pp, but none of the info. CAME from pp!

Like I said, an utter and complete mess which is resolved now, but I'm still paranoid I guess, b/c I still do not no HOW or WHERE this creep got my cc info.

I do have to say I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions about it being PP's fault, although it sure seemed like it at the time, since the charges were coming THROUGH PP. Everyone who has a PP account can rest assured that their account is safe, according to Brian that is. ;)

Michi, I'm glad you got it resolved and don't have to pay any of the unauthorized charges. I think using credit cards comes with a bit of risk, because each time you eat at a restaurant or pump gas, you never know if an unscrupulous employee might copy down the information for their own personal use later. I guess we just have to be careful and check our statements regularly.

That sucks! I was hesitant to put my cc info on Paypal but they wouldn't let me open the account without it...now I'm wondering if they will let me take it off, now that the bank acct is verified? It's a shame that these hackers can't ever be found and prosecuted. Identity thiefs as well. Even though you said it's not their fault, I don't like it being there.

That sucks! I was hesitant to put my cc info on Paypal but they wouldn't let me open the account without it...now I'm wondering if they will let me take it off, now that the bank acct is verified? It's a shame that these hackers can't ever be found and prosecuted. Identity thiefs as well. Even though you said it's not their fault, I don't like it being there.

Yes, they can take it off. I just had my debit card number stolen last week and since I had to cancel it I also had to take it off ebay, paypal, etc. I had no trouble taking it off paypal, they have my bank account info, so I'll use that from now on. If you keep large amounts of money in your bank account they will still be able to use it. I'm now going to keep small amount of money in our checking account and just transfer money from savings to checking several times a month. That way I won't have a large amount in the checking so it would be hard for anyone to make a large purchase through my banking info on ebay or paypal. I'm still trying to figure out how they got my dc number, cause I'm very careful. I found it myself by checking my statement on line which I do at least once a week. I had hoped the company would have been able to tell me where the item that was purchased was shipped, but it was an e-book purchase so all they could give me was a email addy, which isn't doing me any good. I'd like to know where the email addy comes from, cause if it comes from my home town then I know someone got my info right here in town, as opposed to the internet. It sure can be a headache, and it sure did piss me off. Lazy bums that don't have anything better to do with their time than steal from the rest of us:angry2:

I had PP virtual account and when you try to process a card through it....if the address or something is wrong, like the CVV number on the back or address, it rejects it, but the person who owns the card sees it as a charge and then within 24 hours, it credits back.

That is the one thing I don't like about PP, virtual account. Customers sometimes will tell you, Oh I gave you the wrong exp date, here, do it again and then it rejects again and then you find out that the CVV number was wrong or the address it bills to is wrong. Each time you try to process that card, it will show up as a charge and then within 24 hours it will come down

MICHI, I think that is what PP did to you. Someone was trying to process your credit card through a paypal virtual terminal but probably got declined being they didn't have your address or if they did was trying to guess the CVV number or something to that effect but they didn't have all the info.

But PP still processed a correct cc number to your account and then it declined and it took the 24 hours or less to void off.

I have since left paypal Virtual terminal for a cc process company that is also a bank. They told me that this happens with paypal cause they can not control the credit cards process, they are not a bank, they use a gateway to process through a third party bank and they can't control the charges.

I once had asked PP to reverse the charges that were on a customers account 7 times and all they could say is, they can't do that but they will go away in 24 hours but it did put holds on the amount for all 7, needless to say, my customer was not happy. Now my new cc process company can reverse them the minute I call and give authorization to reverse them.

WOW Dejae thanks for the enlightenment, that sounds like what probably happened.

It just pisses me off that it would even go through-shit I can't even buy anything online unless I have all the necessary security info. yet theives can? What's up with that? :rolleyes: Not fair!

Mind sharing what cc processing bank you're using now? I'm getting ready to put my website up and already have enough headaches with my daily life, don't want to be messin' with PP for processing, if that's their MO.

That is exactly why I have a PREPAID CC only on my paypal account.. I put what I am going to spend on the cc and when it is gone .. aint nobody gonna get nothing else off that card!LOL.. I just re add money each month when I want to purchase something as it only takes 1 hour to apply to the card and then I am good to go! lol..

its a thought and sure beats having theives get ahold of your personal information!!

Why did your uncle pay? Cardholder is not required to make payments on a disputed charge until a decision is made on the disputed charges.

Did your uncle follow correct procedures for disputing the charge?

I am glad that they are refunding the money. My uncle, the one who's card number got stolen from resturaunt, has been trying to get his back for two months now. He finally decided to pay it so the interest would quite compounding on him.