Are Heat Guns Safe???

Hello! I have been thinking about getting a heat gun to help smooth out the tops of my candles. My husband (who happens to be the absolute most supportive and fantastic guy in the WIDE WORLD :whoohoo: great lookin too!:shocked2: ) is a bit concerned that they are a very dangerous fire hazard and is afraid to get one. I thought I would get a general consensous for us to look at so that we can make the best possible choice. Can you please tell us what you know about heat guns and heat gun safety? TIA!

Mary <><

I guess you could look at it that everything pretty much to do with making candles could be a fire hazzard. My heat gun has several settings and I use it on the lowest to smooth out my tops, shrink wrapping, etc. and have never had a problem in the many years I've been doing this. It's like many other tools or appliances that could pose a problem, you need to read the instructions and take the necessary precautions to use it safely!! :cool2:

My heat gun has 2 settings as well and I really like it. I am really picky about the whole candle making process - which carries on to my heat gun. I make sure as soon as I am finished using the heat gun I unplug it. It stays laying flat on a heat resistant surface and it is not put away until it is completely cool. (Usually it is the last thing I put away after I clean up my work area and by then it is cool.) I agree with the post above that everything in the candlemaking process is indeed a fire hazard but if you treat it as you would the entire process of making your candles it should not be a problem. I have been making candles for about 4 years now and I have only had the heat gun for the past year. I don't know how I got by without it!! HTH

Kimmi:)

I usually put whatever I am "heat gunning" onto a cookie sheet (gift baskets, etc.) I also lay the heat gun on that cookie sheet when I am not using it.

Never, ever lay the heat gun on anything that could melt, ya' know, like a plastic tablecloth or something....ask ME how I know........lol

Heat guns, in use daily in thousands of businesses and locations, are as safe as the person operating them. For starters, read the instructions that come with them. They caution folks about how very hot the end becomes! After reading that, I put a kitchen spoon holder nearby when I am using mine. A plate will also work well. If you make and follow good safety habits when you first get a heat gun, you will not be as likely to have accidents. A healthy respect for tools is a good thing, but one shouldn't be too frightened to use them - just use common sense and follow the instructions. :)

If you don't want to use a full blown heat gun (I find them heavy), try using an embossing gun that you can get at Michaels or some such craft store. They don't have quite as much force and are a bit coolor. Hot enough to melt wax and do shrink wrap, though.

This is what I use. It only has 1 setting... but I wonder how I ever did without it and I am only a hobbyist:wink2:

I do as another person here suggested and place it on a cookie when I am finished using it to allow it to cool.

I use an embosser too! I had one before I started making candles because I made greetings cards, I always wondered if this was what everyone else was using when you spoke of heatguns :laugh2: My embosser is annoying at times because it really 'blows' the melted wax, do heat guns have a powerful blast on them?? Or is it heat without the blow? IYKWIM??

Anjie,x.

Guest Candelishis
I've found that if you put the heat gun on the highest setting and point it them, many things can be made to burst into flames.

I love that.

Teehee....Paper towels...Kleenexes...paper cups...LOL :yay: Fire! Fire!

Fun for melting plastic spoons and straws too...

LMAO...I used to be a firefighter...I like fire...

I love my heat gun, can't do without it. I use it mainly to clean my metal tart molds -- on high setting. Completely safe if you follow all the precautions stated by these lovely candlers. I plug all my electric gadgets that I use for candle and soapmaking in a high quality power strip then I just turn off the power strip when I'm done. Fire safety is a must as we all know.

I couldn't live without my heat gun. However the first time I used it I melted the dang cord and had to replace it! I didn't look and laid it down on it. I've made the wick smoke before but haven't lit it...yet...hee hee. I've also burned the crap out of my hand. What can I say...its a love/hate thing...lol.

When I first started making candles many years ago I used an embossing tool because that is what I had on hand. I made so many candles that I burned it up in a couple of weeks. When you are embossing you don't use it all day long. So I bought a heat gun. I have used one for years and rarely burned myself or anything else. I have "reducers" for my guns. It produces a smaller air flow which is much easier to control. I had holsters in my old studio, but now since I am not making candles 24/7 I found that one of my square 3 x 6 tin molds work well as a holder for the heat gun. It hasn't tipped over yet. I was afraid when I first got mine too. I made my daughter use it first. (smile)..... I am sure that heating an iron to the cotton/linen setting is as dangerous as a heat gun. Just common sense when it comes to heat and fire. Always error on the side of caution. Donita

ps....

I have scars on my arms from pulling cookie sheets out of the oven when I was baking for my children. That was the most dangerous thing I have encountered (smile).....

as long as you do not set a heat gun that has just been turned off onto your bare thighs, it is fairly safe.............:rolleyes:

cheryl

Oh dear....do I dare ask how you might know this? LOL I think any seasoned candle maker has been burnt a time or two on their heat gun. Then we learn to be more careful. Hope it didnt leave scars. I picked mine up by the barrel one day. :embarasse :eek: I've not done it since.