Editing PDF Files

DebbieTX

My sister made some labels when she was a graphic artist and no longer does it. These were for my candles but now that I have changed jar sizes, I need to get a new label and she doesn't do it anymore. Can you recommend a program that will let me edit PDF labels? I need to change the writing and resize some of them. UGGHHH! I need to learn to create this crap myself!

The purpose of a pdf is to have your document in a format that is print ready. In general they're not editable.

There are some tools for Adobe Acrobat that will allow you to make simple edits to a pdf, but unless you have the full version of Acrobat (not just the reader) they're useless to you.

If you can get the native files from your sister you can take them to a print shop or graphic designer and they can modify them for you. Otherwise you'll have to start from scratch.

Ok, just tested on Photoshop & Illustrator to be sure.

You can't edit text from a .pdf file, but you can definitely import the file into Photoshop to edit as an image. It'll be treated like a photo instead of a text file. Same with Illustrator.

Yup, Illustrator has the option of saving as a pdf file. If it wasn't created in Illustrator, it'll be tougher to edit because it doesn't have the complete information on everything, but it gives you as start. One thing you can do on non complex labels is use your pdf as a background layer, and redesign over the top of it.