Has anyone done this type of open house?

hometowncandles

Forgive me if this has already been discussed. I did a search but didn't come up with anything specifically geared to what I am wanting to do.

I live in a rural area of our county where there's not much traffic except for the people who live here. I just don't think an open house at my home would do very well.

I was thinking of renting a room at our local Convention Center, right in the middle of town, for a few hours and host an open house there. I would have to purchase a retail business license from the city for $51.00, but it would be good for 12 months and I could do as many of these as I would like or even open up a little shop if I had the opportunity. And the cost of renting a room that holds 40 people would be $70.00 for 4 hours of actual use time, I would have 2 hours to set up and 1 hour for clean up(7 hours total) They set up the tables and chairs for me all I have to do is set up my stuff and make it look pretty.

Has anyone done this type of open house and was it productive? I have picked up several customers from doing shows, and I think if I can get the word out I could do pretty well. What are everyone's thoughts? And what do I need to consider if I do go through with it?

TIA

Jennifer

Thanks,

I had one at my house last year, mostly family and close friends. Like I mentioned I'm in a really rural part of our area, so I didn't expect a huge turnout, but I still done pretty good. We ate, played games, and had a really good time. And sold quite a bit of stuff. :yay:

I have done a couple of craft shows and picked up a few repeat customers from them. So I'm hoping that by making myself a little more accessable(sp?) then I can do even more. I'll let ya know how it goes if I decide to do it.

Good Luck with your open house also, just have lots of fun with it and it'll be worthwhile even if you don't sell a ton of stuff.

Jennifer

You might want to check with your local government officials. Most states and towns have a "hawkers/vendors License" and in almost ALL cases, you are exempt from these permits if you are selling items that you have made yourself, or grown on your property. If that is in fact the case where you live, you might want to hold off on the permit fees until you see how your first one goes. Just a suggestion...........

Hope it goes well for you:smiley2:

I think that sounds like a good idea. In fact I had never thought of it but I am in a small town and even though I have been making candles for a long time I see people in town that tell me they didn't know about it. Gives me an idea for maybe a spring open house. I do a Christmas open house at the gift shop in town. The owner & friend lets me set up and sell during her open house. Usually it turns out pretty good.

Thanks DonC, I'll have to check that out before I buy a permit.

I would love to do more of these if this one goes well, but I hate to pay so much for a business permit if this one bombs and I don't do anymore.

I'm trying to co-ordinate it with the local tree lighting event on the courthouse square the first part of December. The convention center is a few blocks down, but many of the merchants stay open late because of the tree lighting. So I figure this would be a good time.

If you know another crafter in the area (who makes something different), you may want to consider having them display with you. It might attract more people, even if it's not a crafter but something like Tastefully Simple that others may have heard of and will stop in for then see your goodies and fall in love. :D