Square votives

Okay, normally it takes me one pound of wax to make eight 15-hour votives. I got these really cute square seamless votive molds and they clearly take more wax. I'm not one for melting more than I need. Anyone have any idea about how many pounds (ounces) it takes to fill 8 square votives? I could have sworn I saw a site that said they were 3.2 ounces or maybe it was 2.3 ounces each. 3.2 sounds right, but not sure... would love someone who's worked with these to help out. I've tried searching and all I can find are people selling the darn things! haha Thanks in advance!

i have some square votive moulds which i bought off very nice lady off here on this particular thread the shame of the thing is i havent yet had chance to make any:(

We dont have these kind of moulds over here in uk, which is pity as i think they are lovely and a great alternative to the "norm"

I can validate the difficulty getting those little buggers out of the mold. The octagons are tough, too. The problem is mold vacuum. Since there is no hole in the bottom of them, and they are very small, the top part of the candle tends to seal off the area between the mold and the casting (candle). Sometimes, alternating hot and cold water helps. I ALWAYS use wickpins in mine and when they stick (like nearly every time), I grab the pin with pliers and PULL!! Folks are AMAZED at how much MUSCLE it takes sometimes to get those buggers to release - with a resounding "pop" (which is how I KNOW it's mold vacuum, BTW). My husband was giving me a hard time about it, calling me a wimp and stuff, so I handed it to him, "Here ya go, Ace. Let's see you flex those manly muscles!" Sure was fun to see him get all red-faced over pulling a little bitty ol' candle outta the mold! He never made fun of me again and doesn't even come in the room if he hears me grunting and straining and cussing one that's stuck!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

A simpler thing would be to drill a small hole (like really small) in the bottom of the mold. If the candle hangs up, you can blow into the hole to release the vacuum. ;)

I really hate when my arms are tired and I can't get one all the way out and when I let go of the wick pin, the vacuum just sucks the candle right back into the mold! *faint*

• 2 weeks later...

Try warming slightly in warm water, then pulling on the wickpin with pliers. You may have to loosen the wax at the very top (bottom) of the candle to allow air to get inside and hopefully reduce the mold vacuum. If the top area of the mold is dented, it ain't gonna come out. If all else fails, put the stuck votive in the oven on warm and melt it and allow it to cool slowly. Remove the candle when the votive is still slightly warm. HTH:)

Or you can put them in the freezer for about 3 minutes. If you leave them for too long, they crack! Eep! I actually don't have any problems getting my square ones to come out. I had a heck of a time getting the 15 hour ones out. I used a paraffin blend on those. Palm has been a cinch to remove from the molds.

As for containers to burn the sq votives -- I was just at hobby lobby and they're stocking the square glass containers by Libby. They're a little more pricier, but they sure do look nice! I'll have to take pics when I get a chance and post.

I had the same probelm with the square votive molds that I got from candlewic and peaks. I then got some from connies candles and they slide out a lot easier then the other molds. I usually use a pair of pliers and just pull and they come right out, no problem, but not the other molds, I have to pull, and pull and wait for some air to get in.