Question about MP soaping

Meg_10

I have searched, but not quite sure what to really search for.

I make MP soap but was wondering if there's an additive that would make MP soap last longer? rather than it enlarging and soften up fast when in contact with water.

Did that make sense? anyhow was hoping someone here can tell me.

Thanks much.

Meg

there are things you can add, but most compromise the lather, so then you have to decide whether you want to add yet more stuff and play around till you get good lather back, or just stick with what you originally had.

I messed up a batch one time so found out by mistake that Palm Oil creates a rock hard MP soap! It alone will basically wipe out the later though, so again it just depends on what's most important to you.

Thank you for answering.

I was wondering, Would Castor oil work? or is there other kind of oil to add?

I add brown sugar and ground oatmeal to my MP soap.

It lather great, but would like it to last longer than just few hand wash.

Meg

I don't recall if castor hardened or not. I do remember reading it helped with lather though, so I wouldn't really expect it to harden.

I don't add extra stuff to mine since I make novelty soaps, but several people on here make bar soaps, so may chime in with additive advice :)

Bees Wax as in wax. You can buy it from Michaels or Hobby Lobby I think.. just a tiny bit to try... If you like it you can buy it online cheaper. It makes a nice hard bar of soap. If your soap is disappearing in a few hand washes it sounds like you have other issues though.. what type of MP base are you using? A good quality base would last much longer than that with nothing added to it unless of course it were left under running water or IN water for hours and hours.

Cocoa Butter adds firmness. And is available in regular which smells like chocolate or deodorized. Coconut oil adds lather. I thought I also read firmness, but I can't find it now, only lather. Also for firmness you can try a hint of Beeswax. Seriously... just a hint! It really does work but can alter the color of your soap. For a small batch (lb or so) I shave just a bit off of a block of my beeswax. It probably amounts to a teaspoon full of shavings. And I do beleive that with a bit of looking around, you can find it bleached and in pastilles (small beads that are easier to work with).

Castor oil is often used to add lather as well. I always add SOME kind of oil or butter-be it Castor, Olive, an infusion made with OO, SAO, shea...etc etc- to my M&P because of it's general reputation for being 'drying'.

I have also used sugar- but that was kind of disaster because I didn't let it melt I guess and it sank to the bottom of the bar. While it was a great exfoliating bar, lol... which I love btw, it wasn't the look I wanted in that bar. Now I just do like PA and sprinkle it in here or there... just because. I think it all helps. You can add a hardner ALONG WITH a lather helper if needed to counteract the hardner. Just half each amt as a start and go from there.

Thank you both!! so informational. I am going to try this.

I use regular white soap from Columbus foods

I am looking for good Goat Milk soap or If I can add goat milk to soap?

See!! I have so much I need to learn yet! LOL

Thank you again.

Meg

Buy a can of powdered goat milk or even concentrated liquid goat's milk.. or fresh goat's milk is best if you can get it. Add it to your soap! Seriously.. this is WAY better than using a goat milk base.. but even a goat milk base is good! When all I had was a goat's milk base to use I even added fresh goat milk to it lol! Goat's milk makes the BEST soap! I use it in every bar I make. I have a source for fresh.. but when I can't get it I use either the liquid concentrate or powder.. both work beautifully. For a 4 pound batch of soap I generally add 1/2 cup or even more of milk. I try to balance out liquid and soft oils with butters and hardeners to keep my soap from being too soft. I use more bees wax than most people too but I learned by accident that it doesn't do anything but make my soap hard.. and the other stuff I add keeps the lather.. I make most of my soap's all natural in color so the discoloration doesn't bother me too much. I add extra glycerine for ultra lather, and Mango or Shea butter to every batch! Have fun with it :)

I use a Presto Pot to melt my soap. I add the bees wax to the batch and let it melt. It takes way longer than the soap base to melt so I just have to keep an eye on it and stir it a lot. Shredding it helps, but it's hard as heck and it's much easier to use pellets.. just takes longer than you would think to melt the stuff.

I can get canned liquid concentrate goat milk and powdered goat milk at our Super Walmart.. in the baking section. When I use powdered I don't use the directions on the can.. I make it pretty concentrated. I don't dilute the liquid concentrate.. I just use it as it is.

It is easy :) And lots of fun.

Although no one believes this but I add Olive oil to my opaque soaps and they last longer because it makes it harder. I also add jojoba oil to clear mp and it becomes harder considerably because jojoba oil is a wax. I honestly don't know why olive oil works but it does. I've been making/experimenting with mp for three years. I haven't had any complaints from customers at all. I do not add a lot 1tbs per pound but no more. And yes it still lathers like crazy.

Although no one believes this but I add Olive oil to my opaque soaps and they last longer because it makes it harder. I also add jojoba oil to clear mp and it becomes harder considerably because jojoba oil is a wax. I honestly don't know why olive oil works but it does. I've been making/experimenting with mp for three years. I haven't had any complaints from customers at all. I do not add a lot 1tbs per pound but no more. And yes it still lathers like crazy.

Pepperi, I took your advice :cheesy2: (plus the advice and suggestions of others on the board) and added OO along w/a lot of other stuff to my bar and finally have it where I want it.

I don't worry too much about the bar not lasting too long because mine are novelty bars also - they look good and smell good and ya can't get them in the store. As long as they don't melt away in the first few showerings, I don't think folks notice that much, honestly.

Good luck! MP is fun to do - I know that I really enjoy it.

I also use SFIC base - you might want to look around at different bases.