Who to contact for a fundraiser at local school district?

I am considering proposing a fundraiser for my local school district. I'm on their site right now, but am unsure who to contact other than the PTA. I'm gearing for middle schoolers, as the primary and elem. goes up to 5th grade only. I can't see 5th graders being able to sell the way a middle schooler might? Maybe I'm wrong.

What do you think?

Violet

I just emailed the leader of the PTA of the primary and elementary schools.

Funny, I went to college with the AVP at the High School. I wonder if I should contact him? We might get stuck talking about my teenage son who has gotten 'lippy' with his spanish teacher a lot lately, though. Ugh. LOL.:laugh2:

Thanks!

I got the fundraising forms off of Cajun's website.. but I have a question?

Would I need a catalog of some sorts as well as the order sheets? I know that most people have the internet and could access my website, but some may not.

I've already thought of samples, as well. And maybe 8 scents to offer. I'm thinking of just jars for the moment... if I sold votives, tarts and tealights, it may be too much to offer.

Interested in what others think.

Hi Scented:

Yes I thought of that belatedly... I was a brownie and sold tons of cookies in 4th grade. Sold candy bars too (ate some too lol).

I called the primary and was told the PTA handles all their fundraising activities. So I guess I did right by emailing the PTA.

We'll see!

Thanks guys!

Violet

Your request will be sent to the VP of Ways and Means. That is what I am. Now, I am not sure about other districts but I know here our kids can only be in ONE major fundraiser a year that they actually do the selling. And we pick the ones that offer a 50% return. So, if you can't offer that much you pretty much won't get accepted for a school wide fundraiser. Also, many many schools have already chosen their fundraiser last year for this year. Meaning, we will be getting together in the Spring to chose which fundraiser we want for the school year 2008/2009.

However, you can always ask for your information to be delivered to individual class levels, like 3rd grade, 4th grade etc. And also for Middle Schools you can have it forwarded to the clubs, band, etc. They don't mind taking a bit of a lower percentage however, not much from the 50% mark.

That is the kicker when you propose fundraisers to schools. You normally won't even get looked at if you can't offer at least 50%

Good Luck!!

Angi

Hi Angi,

My retail prices are set to give 50% for that very reason. They aren't unreasonable prices, cheaper than Yankme... :)

I left a message for the high school AVP. He's an old classmate of mine from Grad School. Maybe he can get someone in the high school interested, or I can find out who to contact in the middle school, if the PTA isn't interested.

I wanted to say, sorry I haven't written yet. Things have been hectic. But I have your card right by my pc. :D I will write soon.

Violet :)

I get that a lot, and when I got my business license, I really didn't realize how it would look on a website.... then I did my website and yes, that's how it ran together. But I don't mind it anymore. Most people think the fact that there's sex in it is kinda cool... lol :rolleyes2

Okay, Violet, I can't stand it anymore. When I see your ID I immediately think Violent Sex ...otic candles. What? Then my mind reads it right. Hope your web site doesn't say the same thing! :P

oops, sorry....LOL

In my area and I am sure in most areas schools send out a little newsletter where people can advertise. I think high school students operate it and these newsletters come out quarterly and it only costs me $25.00 quarterly and gets handed out by students or delivered via snail mail. You might want to get a hold of the school and find out if you have one in your area.

Yes individual clubs, grades, bands and what not do not have to have the approval for their fundraising because they are not the entire school selling. Also, the way we get around having extra things to sell is we offer it to the parents and don't advertise it as a fundraiser where kids have to do the selling. We have already done our major fundraiser this year but we are also going to do Poinsetta Sales strictly to the families, no selling required so those are ok to do schoolwide as well. I think you have a very good chance at getting a school wide fundraiser with your percentage being 50% and I would rather have my children sell candles than those stinky catalog items lol!

Advertising in the newsletters is a very good idea as well!!

Good luck!

LOL, before I even got to this post I was thinking I needed to drop you a line!! I will be writing you soon :)

Angi

I get that a lot, and when I got my business license, I really didn't realize how it would look on a website.... then I did my website and yes, that's how it ran together. But I don't mind it anymore. Most people think the fact that there's sex in it is kinda cool... lol :rolleyes2

LOL! Well, get the high school crowd selling your sexotic candles and you'll have it made. :)

Candle Maker Traumatizes Local High School Students and Families

Violet, of Sexotic Candles peddled her wares to local Jefferson High School as a fundraiser for the high school and its students to sell, not quite understanding the drama that would unfold.

"I am just beside myself!", Bobby Ann, a local resident and mother of a sophmore and senior at Jefferson High School. "Here I am trying to teach morals to my kids and this tart comes along with these sexotic candles, wanting our pride, our high school kids to sell these things. It is an outrage!"

Bobby Ann's elderly mother, Bobby Jo, was rushed to St. Joe's ER after suffering what they are calling Traumatic Shock over this event. She heard about sex candles and just keeled over. No word yet on her current status in the hospital.

What are we to do! Calls to the 12th District PTA and Cocum County School Board have gone unanswered. Jefferson High School has shut their phone lines down on a temporary basis due to the influx of calls disrupting their day to day job. Luckily we were able to contact Violet about this issue.

"They are by no means sex candles! The name of my business is Violet's Exotic Candles. I am an expert chandler with quality products that would net the high school funds, much needed funds." explains Violet of Sexotic Candles. We are not buying it Violet! No matter how you paint it, Violet is peddling sex candles to our kids and needs to be stopped!

Send us your comments about our headline story!!

Jerry Ann Bishop

reporter

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Angi

That was pretty good Angi!

Violet, I thought about the company name instantly when you started talking about fundraisers, I hope your company name doesn't give them the wrong impression!! I know here in the "bible belt" all of our School Board members and PTA go to the First Baptist together and wouldn't consider it... they also don't consider it if you don't attend church with them either... stuffy old goats..

I don't think, in New York, people would turn their noses up because the words ran together wrong... Besides, they all know me or of me... I have a MS in Education Administration and was taught by the former superintendent, and know the AVP as well as the business administrator from classwork.

That was pretty good Angi!

Violet, I thought about the company name instantly when you started talking about fundraisers, I hope your company name doesn't give them the wrong impression!! I know here in the "bible belt" all of our School Board members and PTA go to the First Baptist together and wouldn't consider it... they also don't consider it if you don't attend church with them either... stuffy old goats..

glad to hear! I hope you do well with the fundraiser, sounds like you will surely get it!!

BTW... up till this thread I was reading your name Violet SEXOTIC Candles.... Now I realize you are Violets Exotic Candles... Don't ask me what I thought Sexotic was... cause I haven't a clue...

glad to hear! I hope you do well with the fundraiser, sounds like you will surely get it!!

BTW... up till this thread I was reading your name Violet SEXOTIC Candles.... Now I realize you are Violets Exotic Candles... Don't ask me what I thought Sexotic was... cause I haven't a clue...

Sad to hear people see sex in everything... lol. It was one of my struggles when making my web name- to use the name or not (something my web reseller promptly pointed out). I said, you know what, my DBA is that name and I'll be damned if I'm gonna change it.

I've got a good customer base...

I am hoping to hear from the high school soon... if not, I'll call again. Maybe I won't get notice this year, but perhaps next year. Hmm... maybe I should stop by the office and give out samples... wish I didn't work during their hours!

But next Friday I'm doing a vendor event at an ex-coworker's workplace. Only cost me $25 for a spot at a local insurance company... could be promising... And I took the day off, so I'm done before school gets out... hehe...

Thanks all... :)

Sometimes seeing sex in everything is a good thing...especially if you're not getting any :laugh2: !!

I picture all of us looking like Beavis and Butthead, sitting on the couch saying..

hahahaha - she said sex - hehehehehe :laugh2:

I think it's just something the eyes automatically focus to, or at least my eyes sure did. That was the first word that I even saw out of the name then I had to read the entire name a couple of times before it made any sense to me rofl! But I did keep saying..what on earth is sexotic? Sex with the ear, OH MY!! :laugh2:

:tiptoe:

Angi

LOL... Yes I think people want to see sex in everything... lol.

Sometimes seeing sex in everything is a good thing...especially if you're not getting any :laugh2: !!

I picture all of us looking like Beavis and Butthead, sitting on the couch saying..

hahahaha - she said sex - hehehehehe :laugh2:

I think it's just something the eyes automatically focus to, or at least my eyes sure did. That was the first word that I even saw out of the name then I had to read the entire name a couple of times before it made any sense to me rofl! But I did keep saying..what on earth is sexotic? Sex with the ear, OH MY!! :laugh2:

:tiptoe:

Angi