HOLY COW!!! Heating Up!!!

CareBear

Tonight I threw together a quick CP batch with evaporated milk for half the liquid and with Solas Pumpkin Spice at 0.7oz PPO.

Did I say Holy Cow yet? I wasn't surprised to see it thicken in the bowl with just a few stirs (both my oils and my lye were pre-done and at room temp) since it's a very spicy FO, OMG...

About 20 minutes later I look at the mold on my counter (log) and I see it's heating up fast so I tossed it into the fridge. 20 minutes later it's DARK BROWN so I tossed it into the freezer. AND BURNED MY FINGER ON THE BOTTOM OF THE MOLD in the process.

WARNING: HOT HOT HOT! Don't know if it'll survive all this - think I'll use the rest of the FO in candles...

Yes, a very nice soaper told me to make up my lye water ahead of time and let it cool completely, to freeze my milk and to refrigerate my pumpkin. I also soaped cooler than normal (about 90-95) and I finally didn't have a volcanoed, spicy-smelling mess! :yay: I ruined two pumpkin batches that were heaters! Hey, I've been looking for a nice Pumpkin scent now that BCN's closeout one is gone! :sad2: Good luck on that batch, hope it chilled out for you okay.

Edited to add: I just re-read your post and realized you didn't mention using pumpkin--well when you do, keep it cold! LOL

I cut it today cause it was rock hard but believe it or not it's still a bit harsh (and the recipe itself is NOT harsh). It passed the zap test - at first, but a minute later (I don't rinse) I could feel a bit of a burn that I don't normally get. So I'll give it a couple of weeks and try again.

It did turn a lovely burnt orange-red color though. Don't know how much of that is from the FO and how much from the evap milk - but it's just lovely. If only my camera wasn't mia.