Going to crochet my first sweater, any tips?

dirtybirdsoaps

All I can say is I wish you luck with it.

I've been crocheting afghans for years but I totally suck at reducing, dropping and adding stitches etc. All the things required for making clothing. :(

You should look around for a beginners pattern.

Good luck and hope the sweater doesn't end up looking like pants! :D

LOL Same here, I swear I have closets full with afghans, a million wash cloths and scarfs but thats been my limit really. I found a pattern from lions brand....didnt care for it much but I figure I can try to alter it a little bit but its almost IMPOSSIBLE to find a pattern for mens sweaters :(

I find crocheted sweaters tend to look very heavy and bulky, and any thing crocheted will use up a ton of yarn (as opposed to a similar item knitted). Do you knit? Also, knittingpatterncentral.com, which has a ton of knitting patterns and tips, has, I believe, a sister site called crochetpatterncentral or something like that. Go to the knittingpatterncentral main page, and I think there's a link. if it's anything like the knit site, there would be tons of tips and patterns.

Nope, dont knit :sad2: My mom taught me to crochet as a child, and I havent stopped but have never even attempted a sweater. Over the years i've learned different stitches but my main problem is for some reason I cant read directions I have to see it done......thus the reason ive never attempted knitting (no one in my family knits) Ive been thinking about trying one of those knitting dvds. But as to the bulkyness, Im not to worried about that. I dont expect it to come out good enough for him to actually wear, not to mention we live in florida. I just figure he's been bothering me about it since we met (13 years) and its driving me CRAZY its just a joke but at least that way he cant say it any more :D