ISO Sore Muscle, Stiffness cream/gel recipe

ladysj

I'm looking for a simple recipe that is good for sore, stiff, achey muscles. So far the ones I've found calls for alot of different essential oils which I don't have. I'm going to be getting some menthol crystals which it calls for. The recipe I found is a tiger balm type recipe I was just wondering if I could elimanate the eo's in this and the menthol crystals be enough. This is what it calls for as far as eo's:

2 ozs Camphor Essential Oil

1 oz of each Clove, Cajeput and Cinnamon or Cassia Essential Oils

I have peppermint, eucalyptus, & rosemary eo's. Do you think just these eo's would make a good balm? I would prefer a gel, cream or massage oil though. Sorry just throwing things out there for my benefit and any one else's input LOL

Any help/ input/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I sure could use some of it today ROFLMAO I messed up my back really bad.

Sorry to hear about your back, Sandra :(

Menthol! That's pretty awesome stuff. I have this gel-cream that has eucalyptus and niaouli eos as well as menthol. Works like a charm, especially on stiff, sore muscles.

Maybe some palmarosa, just dug this little nugget up (http://www.essentialoils.co.za/essential-oils/palmarosa.htm):

This particular essential oil is fast becoming a firm favorite in essential oil therapy and aromatherapy, as it has excellent skin care properties and is also used to relieve stiff and sore muscles, while calming the mind and uplifting and invigorating the spirits and clearing muddled thinking.

Another site recommends black pepper, basil, marjoram, birch, wintergreen, and peppermint. http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/pain_relief_with_essential_oils

I'd stay away from the wintergreen, but maybe black pepper? I remember seeing that in a lot of sore muscle blends.

I've found some references to rosemary oil being good for sore muscles too.

I think some people recommend emu oil as well. Helps with sore muscles and active ingredient penetration.

You could probably use just the EOs you have for a simple balm, then later on if you want something stronger, maybe add some black pepper, palmarosa, menthol, ginger (for circulation) and emu oil?

Hope this helps and hope you get well soon!

How about just adding 1/2 tsp msm powder (used by atheletes for sore muscles) and 1/2 tsp emu oil to a body butter base or thick lotion base?

I have made this before and it helps with sprains, sore muscles and even arthritis pain.

Walgreens sells a product called Blue Emu and looking at the ingredients, that is basically what they have done to that product as well.

http://www.blue-emu.com/

Thank you all for the replies and help. I did find an essential oil blend for the eo's I have on hand. I mixed them in some lotion yesterday and am giving them time to absorb in it.

I would definitely love to try the MSM, menthol crystals and get some of the other eo's. Does anyone have a good place to get all of these in one place? These shipping charges are OUT Frickin Rageous!!! lol

How about just adding 1/2 tsp msm powder (used by atheletes for sore muscles) and 1/2 tsp emu oil to a body butter base or thick lotion base?

Would you have to use emu oil? I have MSM powders for my horses, and a husband who has a chronic sore back.

I give MSM to my horses and buy in bulk if you would like I'd be happy to send you a couple spoonfuls to to try out before buying a large quantity. I haven't tried this yet, but have been thinking about it for months. It is fairly cheap and shipping very inexpensive to prder this at horse.com also http://www.horse.com/products/product.aspx?sku=BWA56

I give MSM to my horses and buy in bulk

I just started feeding my two horses MSM last week. I mixed some in the KY Soy Whip base last night and used it on DH's back. He didn't notice any difference at all. Maybe I didn't use enough. It did NOT dissolve in water though. But it didn't feel gritty in the lotion either.

Has anyone noticed any difference between horse MSM and the MSM you get from b&b supply stores/Walmart, etc? I can't imagine there would be much, if any, difference.

I don't think there is a difference. I have had a rub before, but I didn't really feel anything working I think it just kinda helps a little with soreness long term. I do however notice it helps my horses, but that is of course in their feed.

In my part of the country there is an "old wives tale" regarding taking MSM

same as you get at the tack store

Just mix it up in something-do a search on google or somewhere

Maybe internally would help the back??

I LOVE Tiger's balm

can sniff it all day-if I had the time

I knd of wonder if t isn't dissolved and is still in granular form if it does any good. You probably have to get it to dissolve so it mixes into the lotion. Otherwise the granules would just sit on the skin and fall off (I would think). Kind of like that darn citric acid trying to melt that stuff is always fun.

When mixing the MSM in lotion or cream, you have to let it sit for at least 24 hours to dissolve. I mix 1/2 tsp MSM with 1/2 tsp EMU oil then add it to 4 oz of body butter mixing thoroughly. I have also read that castor oil helps with sprains, bruises, fractures and arthritis so that might be another option to blend.

The texture of MSM reminds me of salt but takes longer to dissolve. By letting it sit in the lotion/cream for a day or 2 will help it all blend properly. I feel no grittiness in mine.

I bought my MSM powder at my local Tractor Supply Company. I paid $6 for a 16 oz jar. I compared the mg's of what is sold online vs. what I bought for 1/2 tsp. They are the same product and same ingredients, 100% MSM (methylsulfonylmethane).

Does anyone have a good place to get all of these in one place? These shipping charges are OUT Frickin Rageous!!! lol

www.texasnaturalsupply.com has both. I have ordered twice in the past month and both times my orders were shipped the next day after placing the order at night. They are becoming my one shop stop because they have so many ingredients for BB products.

• 2 weeks later...

The following oils work well when it comes to pain:

St. Johns Wort Oil Infusion

Emu Oil

Arnica Oil Infusion

Black Pepper EO

Rosemary EO

Lavender EO

Peppermint EO

Thank you for this info. I also seem to remember when I was reading about MSM that you could dissolve it in a little water then add to the lotion base. I think I'll try adding some to a little lotion base and see what happens with out dissolving it in water and then try with dissolving in a bit of water.

MSM does not dissolve well in aloe vera juice. Make sure you warm it a bit first it helps to dissolve, however I myself have found that it dissolves better in water, I do a 1/2 & 1/2 of water & aloe vera juice. When I did the aloe vera juice alone it turned a bit gritty. Still worked well just wasn't as smooth as I like it.