bean pot jars difficulty wicking HELP PLS

Hey there,

I posted yesterday on this subject, it looks like people have looked over the post but nobody has commented. Come on people I know a lot of you are way more expereinced than I am. I would really and truly appreciate any suggestions on wicking this 3.25" bean pot . I know you are all busy too, but isn't this where you come to get help when you need?. I have tried cd14/16 ,htp105, cd10 rrd40/47/65

TIA

Suz:confused:

Suzie,

is that measurement the widest point of the jar? Which jar is it...the 9 oz? I can't remember the exact sizes of those jars.

Can you give us a little more to go on? maybe that is why no one had any ideas to offer...what wax, how much FO and what scent, how many burns did you do with those wicks? I can tell you that you cannot expect to get a full melt pool on your first few burns or you will be WAY overwicked as you get down to the narrow bottom of that jar. Did you burn at least halfway with any of those wicks? If so, did you try a larger CD?

Hi jenny, I have burned the first few at-least four hours the first burn. second burn I relight and burn for atlest an hour if after an hour to hour and half if it hasn't moved out towards the edge, and has just burned down tunneling i blow out, and go back to the drawing board. I dont know maybe i am doing the testing all wrong. Ya think?

suz

Sorry Suz, but since I don't use that wax, that amount of FO or that size shape jar, I didn't think I had much to contribute there. I use CDNs and would have started with a 14 and possibly moved to a 16.

Standardizing the amount of time for test burns is important. Set a timer! When I am testing, I go by the 1 hour per inch of diameter standard. It's not so much that that is the law, it's just an easy number to remember to use EACH time I burn a tester. With the shape of your container, you would need to burn the candle all the way down (unless the wick drowns or the flame is too large) to know whether a wick is too small... Wick for the bottom third of the container. HTH :)

Thanks Stella,

I hve been wicking for the widest point of the jar which is 3.25" I have now tried cd18 and a RRD 65. The cd18 burned almost completely out to the edge of the jr in 3hrs, however I tht the flme was a little big. if I would have let it go1/2 hr longer it would have been a cmplt meltpool and clean. The 65 ws to big a flm and a little smoke. I think I am going to repour and wick down the cd18 to a cd16. I think this might work. I do keep track of the starting time of the test burn and allow them to burn for 3 hours. If they didn't burn all the way FMP out the frst burn or they only tunneled down then I adjust the wick. Should I do this or try burning a second time. It seem like if they tunnel more than .25 " I should wick up to get a better MP. Is this right?

TIA

Suz

I do keep track of the starting time of the test burn and allow them to burn for 3 hours.

Suz, I based my comment on what you said to Jenny...

Hi jenny, I have burned the first few at-least four hours the first burn. second burn I relight and burn for atlest an hour if after an hour to hour and half if it hasn't moved out towards the edge, and has just burned down tunneling i blow out, and go back to the drawing board.
If they didn't burn all the way FMP out the frst burn or they only tunneled down then I adjust the wick.

Part of wicking any container is the tendency for the jar and contents to heat up on subsequent burns and as the wax level goes down.

If the largest part of the jar is 3¼", how large are the top and bottom portions of the jar? Since more of the jar is LESS than that, I think I would base my testing on a smaller measurement or average...

I personally think you need to be more standardized in your testing (3 hour each test burn) and see if the wick will catch up with the hangup on the jar. My containers often don't catch up until the last half of the candle! ;) I think far too much emphasis is placed on reaching a full melt pool on the first burn and not on how the candle burns during the last half of its life. :)

Stella I totally agree with your statement of

"I think far too much emphasis is placed on reaching a full melt pool on the first burn and not on how the candle burns during the last half of its life."

I was gulity in the begining to not totally let the candle burn all the way down cause I was trying to acheive that FP up front with the 1st couple of burns.

Usally 1/2 down it all catches up so I have learned to be patient and let it go. I don't use bean pot jars though either but do use soy

It's so HARD to wait!! Wait to temper, wait to cool, wait to cure, wait until the bitter end before the test is over. Wait, wait wait... All I can say is that it is worth the patience and waiting, although that doesn't make me feel one dang bit better when it's ME tappin' my toe... :waiting: