flickering wick

Usually a flickering wick is caused from some impurities in the wax. I had that issue when I was using unfiltered beeswax in my sox. The wick gets clogged and causes the wick to flicker. Maybe the jars was dusty? I know buy only filtered beeswax, as I couldn't successfully filter it myself. Hope this helps!

Mama:)

a small amount of flickering will happen just from air circulation as you move through the room or even slight drafts hit the flame from vents and/or windows/doors open. You should be concerned if it is bouncy and doesn't seem to stop at all, which may indicate other problems...make sense?

You may get a small amount of flickering, but shouldn't have an excessive amount. The flame should be pretty steady and consistent throughout the test.

It also depends on your wax- I have palm containers I lit the other night to test. The flame was really high (no flickering, really, just high) for the first few seconds, then as the wax began to be consumed by the flame, it mellowed out to a nice small (not too small, though) flame that was satisfactory to me. Oh and it smelled up the house really nice, too. :yay:

I think the issue could be a too large wick, plus possibly a high FO concentration. I read about this a long time ago but forget where? Could be on Cajun's site, but not sure.

A LOT has been written on the subject of wick flickering. A candle flame should burn true with no flickering, bouncing, sputtering or popping. If a test candle is burned correctly in a draft-free location, there should be no flickering.

Misty, you have not given us anything much to go on to help you. We need to know what kind of wax, what FOs and additives were used, what wick size and type you are using, size and shape of container, length of burn times, etc. Otherwise, it's all just well it could be dis or it could be dat... ;)

I am using CB Advanced Soy, with CD wicks and essential oils. I've also tried the 700 premier series wicks and find that they might burn a little more steady, but still some flickering. Maybe it's the essential oils that make it flicker, but that doesn't seem logical to me.

I am using 11 oz. tumblers and burn for 3 hours each test.

A LOT has been written on the subject of wick flickering. A candle flame should burn true with no flickering, bouncing, sputtering or popping. If a test candle is burned correctly in a draft-free location, there should be no flickering.

Stella, what about as the wax level (and the flame) go down deeper inside the container? Do the air currents then not sometimes cause flickering?

Stella, what about as the wax level (and the flame) go down deeper inside the container? Do the air currents then not sometimes cause flickering?

Deep containers, particularly narrow deep containers, are inherently problematic to wicks. So, sure, the depth and air currents created could cause flickering, which is why folks should test all the way to the bottom of a container. But a well-wicked container shouldn't have a flickering flame. You simply have to find one that doesn't flicker.

Maybe it's the essential oils that make it flicker, but that doesn't seem logical to me.

Why not? Depending on how the EOs were made, how much is in the candle, etc., sure, the EOs could cause flickering, same as some FOs can. The wax itself can cause flickering, depending on the wick. To see what's causing your problem, make a test candle with no EO. If the problem diminishes or disappears, then you can be relatively sure that the EO was causing the problem.:)

I will test one without essential oils. I also read that water in the wax can cause flickering. There's a chance I got some water in the wax while melting it. I hope to figure this problem out, it's driving me nuts. Thanks for your help! :smiley2:

AHA!!! You get the "Who Guessed It" prize 'cause that's what you suspected all along!! Good for you! :bliss:

Sometimes veggie waxes can give ya fits, so when you can check ONE problem off the list, it truly feels good!!:yay:

May I suggest you complete this victory by awarding yourself a Presto Kitchen Kettle from WalMart ~$20? You'll never look back and you won't miss the steam! ;)

*...Misty's wax was too misty...*