testing cdn wicks

Thought I would go ahead and make three candles CDN 10, 12 & 14. GF 435 with 1.5 FO and red color in square mason. Started burning the CDN 10 first and it looks way too hot. Making another just in case I got the wick mixed up. I use a CD 14 now and I wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference. Going to test the one I made again with what the bag says is a CDN 10 and will report tomorrow. I like how much tighter the weave seems on this wick. The CD's I have now will fray a little when clipped.

Well the CDN 10 is just too large/hot for the square mason. Now I have to order another sample of maybe 8. I wonder if the wick got labeled wrong. And I wouldn't think a CDN 8 would be big enough. The size 10 has a 1" melt pool,(too big for me) large mushroom but burned clean, no soot on the jar even with a marathon 24 hr burn. I used GF435, liquid and red chips and 1.5 Christmas Splendor from NG. :confused:

If you don't mind my asking, where do you get your CDN wicks? I ordered a single sample pack from JBN and it cost me $9.00 for shipping*faint* . I see CC has some also but they don't have the smaller sizes(under cdn 12). I'm not sure but I think to get them from wick-it it's a 10,000 min (not positive though). A little too many for me. Just thought I'd see if you have a better place to get them from.

Thanks

Rebecca

If you don't mind my asking, where do you get your CDN wicks? I ordered a single sample pack from JBN and it cost me $9.00 for shipping*faint* . I see CC has some also but they don't have the smaller sizes(under cdn 12). I'm not sure but I think to get them from wick-it it's a 10,000 min (not positive though). A little too many for me. Just thought I'd see if you have a better place to get them from.

Thanks

Rebecca

I got my samples from Wicks Unlimited. They sent the 3 sizes I wanted but now I wish I had asked for a few smaller ones. Also asked Wick it but haven't received them as of today. Going to call and talk to Wicks Unlimited to see if more can be sent. When I get them tested then I'll see who they sell to and order smaller amounts from them. Unless I can get a co-op

going. Just called and they are sending smaller sizes. They said because of the make-up of the CDN that it would burn hotter. And they did not think the wrong wick got in the bag. Well see.... Also if anyone else wants to test these wicks and decides on the same size I use we can get a very good deal for 5000 each size. Let me know and give them a call for samples. I talked to the lady and can not remember her name but she said they would be glad to send out samples. 1-631-472-2010

I just called and they are going to send the 7,6,5 & 4 samples to me. Hopefully they are not too small. I am double wicking a 4 in jar. I tried to single wick this jar with a 22 (the biggest I had) and it didn't work. Got a huge mushroom on top of it. If these work and You end up using any of the same sizes I would definately be interested in going together to order some( would be nice if others got in too). I hope we need some of the same sizes!LOL

Thanks

Rebecca

Rebecca....wick-it sells their wicks by the 1.000. You can order samples from them and just pay the shipping.....or you can order 10,000 of em:)

Mike

Oh cool. See ,I guess I was wrong! That is nice to know.That makes it do- able for me. I did request some samples from them but haven't heard if they are going to send them or not. Thanks for the info

Rebecca

If I were wicking a square mason, I would try a CDN 12 first. I use 14s in my 8 oz. widemouth canning jars, so it seems like a 12 oughta work, but that's with the wax formula I use also - might be different from yours.

Shipping costs can be tough! It's hard to get under a certain amount... I always order other stuff to make it worthwhile!

Guess that works out both ways, eh? ;):laugh2:

I need samples of the smaller and larger sizes... I have a couple of molds that could use a larger wick than a 22 and MANY products that need less than an 8... I am dying to see how the 2s & 3s work in tealights.

My only gripe about them is that they curl (self-trimming) and burn slightly off-center if one does not straighten them (by pushing on the base of the wick, away from the direction it is burning) or turn the candle. I figure if thats the ONLY thing bad I can say about 'em, that's a pretty small issue with an easy solution. ;)

I have found that they not only work great with NatureWax soy waxes, but also with palm wax. It will be interesting to see how others find they work for their soy wax formulas. :)

Stupid question! lol

Are the CDN wicks different than the CD wicks? I have been using the CD wicks from candles and supplies and those seem to be working out pretty good.

I got a free sample of WI-_ _ _ wicks from wick it, (the blanks are for the various numbers) but I haven't tried them yet........

Are the CDN wicks different than the CD wicks?

Yes. They are the same except CDNs (Stabilo KSTs) are treated with a patented process which makes them more resistant to the corrsive nature of acidic vegetable waxes. The descriptions of the wicks at suppliers, etc. state this.

Well I got some more sizes from Wicks Unlimited and tried the CDN 10 again. It still is burning with a deep melt pool 3/4 to 1". Going to try 8 tomorrow. This wick is about the same as the CD 14 burns. Strange... Waiting for same size from Wick-it to see if they are the same.

... tried the CDN 10 again. It still is burning with a deep melt pool 3/4 to 1". ... This wick is about the same as the CD 14 burns. Strange... Waiting for same size from Wick-it to see if they are the same.

I'm seeing the same thing. Just started with the CD's and liked using the 12. Wanted to try the CDN's and thought since they burned a little hotter I would go to the CDN-10. Still too big - waiting on 8's to come in from JBN.

Looks like the conversion is CD# minus 4 equals the CDN#.

JBN (lowest size CDN-8) and CC (lowest size CDN-12). Don't need 1,000 just yet. Any other small quantity suppliers?