new website

NattyCat

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Can whoever was having a problem with the whysoy take another look? I think that's fixed now...

also....

if you click on the colour drop down box for any candle, do you see different colours? I mean, the background of baby pink should be baby pink for example....

Thanks!

Nat

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Can whoever was having a problem with the whysoy take another look? I think that's fixed now...

also....

if you click on the colour drop down box for any candle, do you see different colours? I mean, the background of baby pink should be baby pink for example....

Thanks!

Nat

Hi Nat, in the colours drop down list I see a white line with the name of the colour, then a secon line with the coloured background only. So, two lines for one entry. Did you think it like that or is this a browser issue? (Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Windows XP here).

Absolutely Beautiful!! You must be very proud of yourself. I am trying to learn to do the same thing, but I am about ready to give up. But, I want all the profit that I make to go to my favorite charity, so I don't want to spend much on a web site. I would appreciate any hints that you are willing to share.

I'm not really sure what hints I can give, the whole process is so involved it will age you drastically. I can only suggest that for photos you use a lightbox and paintshop pro, and if you wanted to use "stock" photos on your website - NEVER take them from anyone else's website, you must purchase them for your own use.

Even if it doesn't look like they are watermarked - Getty have invisible watermarks and an automatic web robot that scours the web looking for illegally used pictures. If they catch you with a photo you've not paid for, they WILL slap you with a $10,000 lawsuit from Getty Images - take it from someone who knows, I have my own lovely lawsuit sitting right here because I used a photo I found on a "free" photo website on my old site and apparently it wasn't free at all!

I can't really suggest a shopping cart or payment system to you - as both the ones I have used are specific to the UK only.

If you have Frontpage you might want to start with a web template - these can be found all over the internet for quite low amounts of money - under $50, and some are free. You then at least can find a design you like and then modify it from there.

Oh wow Natty! It seems almost sad that these places put up "free" photos so they can make money off ad hits, then the end user is stuck with the legal crap.

Hope it goes well for you!

Mauimom, I personally use Vodahost, yeah it's a few bucks more than some of the other homegrown places here, but I prefer the bigger support system and more transfer space.

You can get a domain and host through them, all in one. (Whereever you go, never get the domain separately. Almost every single host offers a free domain for a year when you sign up.)

As for the store, I use OsCommerce. It's free, there's support and there are easy install modules to integrate whatever you want. It took me about 10 minutes to install the modules needed for FedEx, USPS, Paypal IPN, discount coupons, gift codes, etc. It also holds my shopping cart, all in one. Most gateways, should you ever decide to process credit cards without Paypal or something of the sort, work within OsCommerce and are also very easy to install.

You get can free templates to start with for this as well. So you could essentially get it done in a very short amount of time. It may not be customized completely, but you'd be in operation with a good looking site. I don't know of any place that starts out of the box with full easy customizing.

• 2 weeks later...
ok, now i'm really crapping my pants. This is my baby and i'm scared my customers are gonna hate it.

Hope you like it. I'm no web designer so this has taken me 3 months of hard work to build it from scratch, doing the photos, descriptions, teaching myself flash etc etc.

I must say, I feel TOTALLY liberated at being able to get rid of paypal. I created a totally integrated basket and checkout that accepts debit/credit cards so no more paypal - yay!

anyway, I only just uploaded it, so i'm still proof-reading...but here it is:

www.scentifique.co.uk

be gentle!

did you use that open source zen shopping cart sys? You learned how do actionscript (search) and flash in 3 months! That's awesome.

no, it's not zen - it's roman cart (in the UK) for the shopping cart and everything else was coded in html or wysiwyg - i didn't use any of the oscommerce or zen type products as they were not flexible enough for my requirements.

The whole website from start to finish took a lot longer than 3 months - I started it back in february but all the hard work, ie photos, descriptions, cart, flash etc were all done in the last 3 or 4 months. Oh and the search doesn't work yet as I can't get the actionscript to work properly.