I've discovered the recipe for chalk

Batch #8! Perfect for writing on the blackboard!

The two new things I wanted to try for this batch were lard and essential oil (Anise).

However, in addition to that I concocted kind of a screwy recipe. It's half lard, plus coconut and PKO, plus cocoa butter, and only 15% soft oil. The idea was to get something pretty hard and have the white parts be pretty white. To that end, I also left the loaf uncovered in a cool basement after pouring.

Lesson 1, if you make a recipe anything like that it's probably a good idea to gel it. I think the inside did warm up enough and came out kinda normal. The outside is indeed snow white, but also very dry and brittle. I tried to plane off some of the outer layer and it made a scraping noise, plus the edges were breaking off.

This batch almost got pitched, but it's been redeeming itself!

I used a bar at the workshop sink. It had a great lather and left my skin feeling good, just a week out of the mold. Not only that, but for reasons unknown it soothed my poison ivy itch! Any other soap I've used lately only made it worse, but this one let me put aside the antihistamine cream. That's a really random and interesting result.

So I thought it got a new lease on life as my workshop soap. Then I showed the soap to my GF and she said, "Oh, pretty!". She put it up to her nose and went "Mmmmmmmm, can I use this?". So now it's headed for the shower.

I won't make it again exactly this way, but it wasn't a waste of time.

post-710-139458436144_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention, I used 1/3 oz ppo anise essential oil. The fragrance is great and seems plenty strong. Believe it or not it's from Candlewic. I was placing a candle related order and saw they had some EOs in the soap section. Since I knew I'd be needing it, figured I'd add the anise to the order and save a few bucks on shipping. It worked fine.

I think perhaps it might have suffered a wild case of ash?

I hate ash, I know others soapers "embrace" the ash, but I surely can't stand it on my soap. Especially on the darker colored bars. It can add interesting effects to swirlies, so I will presume it does have actual purpose. LOL!

Anise EO sticks like the devil, and is strong enough to gag a maggot.

My Nonnie used to put it in cookies, it reeked like hell. Definitely no worries there of it fading. EOU has an interesting read on what each essential oil is used for in the field of natural apothecary. Might be worth a peek.

I think the swirlies turned out great!

I don't think you can make "bad" soap, you seem to be a natural.

Though it's a mystery. It might not have been the anise. The vegetable oils could have healing properties as well. Anise is used as an expectorant for cough or colds or a breath freshener. Actually it is more of a skin irritant than anything so use it wisely. That particual EO in general is for either aromatherapy purposes or consumption not for topical treatments.

But they look good to me Top!

Though it's a mystery. It might not have been the anise. The vegetable oils could have healing properties as well. Anise is used as an expectorant for cough or colds or a breath freshener. Actually it is more of a skin irritant than anything so use it wisely. That particual EO in general is for either aromatherapy purposes or consumption not for topical treatments.

I wouldn't say there's any healing going on, but I was surprised to notice the soap helps with the itching. Do you think aniseed is safe to use for fragrance in this quantity, or should I have maybe used star anise instead?