C3 and ugly tops after burn

Someone posted about this a couple weeks ago and I couldn't find the post. In testing out some new scents decided to go back to adding some USA to C3 and the result after the burn is a much smoother top on the candle. Even the fo's that always created an ugly top seemed to smooth out. Worth a try for whoever it was having the problem.

I get that sometimes, then sometimes, I don't... I think it depends on the temps when poured as well as the speed with which the wax is poured. I pour as slowly as possible after having experienced just that.

I've also noticed that darker colors will sometimes look crappy after burning... like gray, dark red, brown... I use color blocks.

How hot are you pouring and how slow? Are you using dye?

Violet, I don't think that pouring temps or the speed of pouring have anything to do with whether the top becomes smooth after burning. While these techniques may improved the INITIAL look of the tops after pouring, they have no bearing on the top once the candle has been burned. Using additives, such as USA (JBN) help this situation tremendously.

The environmental conditionsl present after a burning candle is extinguished have a lot to do with how the top looks later on. If the candle is in a location where the temperature is excessively cold or hot, the newly formed top will be affected. Sometimes, a candle which has a rough top after burning, if moved to a different location, will have a babybutt smooth top the next time. In short, the same rules of cooling candles apply after each burn as they do after pouring. If the candle cools too rapidly, the tops will suffer. If someone puts a top on the container when the candle is still cooling, the top will suffer. But none of those conditions have anything to do with the initial pour - they happen anew each time the candle is burned and the wax cools. If the wax itself has been improved by use of an additive, it will hold that same tendency on subsequent melting/cooling cycles and be more forgiving of the environmental conditions.

I get that sometimes, then sometimes, I don't... I think it depends on the temps when poured as well as the speed with which the wax is poured. I pour as slowly as possible after having experienced just that.

I've also noticed that darker colors will sometimes look crappy after burning... like gray, dark red, brown... I use color blocks.

How hot are you pouring and how slow? Are you using dye?

Yes, Stella is right. After burn has nothing to do with pour temp. I've tried all different temps and yes it affects the tops before burn, but not after. I don't use dye at all in soy, but I have noticed it happens more frequently with the heavier and darker oils, so maybe that's where you're noticing the difference? It does have to do with the tops cooling much too quickly after the burn, and the addition of USA has made a big difference in smoothing out the tops, even if they do cool too quickly.

• 4 weeks later...