Essential Oil question

I am thinking about adding some aromatherapy scents to my scent list. I would like to experiment with EO's. I have never used EO's in my candles before and have a couple of question that maybe some of you can help me with. First, I am not sure where to purchase them. I did a google search and of course there are thousands of places to buy them. I don't want to waste my money buying an inferior product. All the places claim to be 100% pure and the best quality available. I don't really want to just pick a name. Maybe some of you that use EO's could tell me your opinion of the best place to purchase them. Second, I know that EO's are more concentrated than FO's. How do you know what percentage of EO your wax can hold. Any EO knowledge or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tammy

I see that you haven't received any feedback.....so here's what I know....which isn't a lot....(smile)...but ...I have been buying essential oils for years from Liberty Natural. I like them. I like their products. As far as how you use them is up to you. I normally use a small amount. Much less then for regular scents....but I do tend to under scent my candles. I prefer to use high quality scents that don't need so much. The last lavender candles that I made had only a tiny percentage but the entire house was scented before I gave the candles to my friend. Watch out for citrus because some smell like fuel when you light them....especially lime. As far as how much the wax can hold that isn't a problem. You won't be adding a lot so I don't see any problem. I have noticed that the candles have a much better scent throw if you let them cure for a few days or a week. I have old EO candles that still smell wonderful. Don't over do the scent. Make it subtle. I think that people that appreciate essential oils understand that it doesn't have to "run you out of the room choking".......a little dab will do you. Donita

Just my opinion here. I love Essential oils. But not in candles.

First, I love EOs for the fact that they are, well, the real thing. FOs are synthetic and recreate a small number of the actual oderant particles of any particular scent. They may give off a pleasing scent that reminds you in some ways of the scent they are trying to duplicate. But seem, to me rather flat and one dimensional.

Whereas EOs do naturally contain the entire range of oderant particles of the scent because they are the original and true scent. EOs contain hundreds if not thousands of different oderants.

Its like the difference between a trained chicken pecking on a 6 key toy piano and a 60 piece orchestra playing a symphony. But then I am one of those who doesnt buy candles for the scent but for the flame.

Now EOs being as volatile as they are are likely to evaporate a lot as you are heating your wax to pouring temp. If you are using soy at a lower temp you wont lose as much.

Also as far as getting quality EOs that are not cut with carrier oils you are going to be paying a dear price which will naturally increase the cost of your candle. A price, I think that few people will be willing to pay unless they really know what they are getting.

I pay 12 to 20 dollars for a half ounce, depending on the oil itself and I buy locally in Canada. I think it too is cut with carrier oils but that makes the scent no less wonderful. The actual process for extracting carrier oils, steam or cold pressed is second to the fact that it takes a lot of flowers/bark/leaves etc to get even small amounts of EOs.

EOs are more subtle but, I think, more noticeable because they are the real thing. The nose knows. As for how well they bind with the wax, I cant comment on that.

The candle flame itself will do things to the EOs which you may or may not like. And a wickless candle just wouldnt last as long due to the high volatility of EOs.

As far as a scent line, perhaps EOs would be better suited to B & B. Just be sure that you are using skin safe EOs, which depend not on the manufacturer but on the specific EO itself.

There is a whole other world of learning in EOs. As far as finding a good supplier, I would be looking for web sites that display openly their passion and respect for the oils themselves. And their understanding of what they are providing.

I only use a couple EO's straight in my candles (patchouli, lavender, eucalyptus & spearmint together). I do also add many different EO's to kick up my FO's because many do not stand up very well by themselves. I've gotten all my Eo's from http://essentialoils.org/ as I've found the quality to be the best from all other suppliers I've tried. In my experience most citrus and mint EO's I've tried alone fade within a 3 to 4 week period or just give off a terrible fuel smell. I have found using 1/2 to 1 oz./lb is about the norm to get a good scent throw........not cheap by any means. You can get the same affect for aromatherpy in candles by using FO's mixed with EO's as you can with EO's straight, with a better scent throw. Of course the actual benefits of using an EO are best suited for B & B products. Just make sure you read all the information for each EO, so you know about any dangers/side effects they can cause. A good site for that is www.fromnaturewithlove.com

click on 'skin care ingredients' on the top left of the home page and then 'essential oils'. They have a ton of essential oils and their properties. Only by testing, though, can you know for sure what works or doesn't work in your wax. :cool2:

Nice presentation on the subject, Oh-MYo.

Seems to me FOs are often valued for the quantity rather than quality of fragrance, Peak being a handy example among many. Good products for performance in candles, but unless you have a leaden nose it's just a step above your average air freshener.

It's worth noting though that a skilled perfumist can incorporate essential oils into a fragrance oil formulation. A lot of good products have them. I guess they know which ones to use and how to formulate them so that they're stable and perform well. So EO vs. FO isn't a mutually exclusive topic.

People are also interested in scents that can't be produced with essential oils.