How it turned out / Rustic from 1260

I didn't take a picture of it yet, but it didn't turn out that bad. It is not so much rustic as it is textured. I do like the way it turned out, but it is not what I trying for. It is kind of cool looking but I don't think I will make another one. It was hard to do because the wax kept shrinking away from the side of the mold while I was reheating the next color. Anyway I am going to try using 1343 for my everlasting rustics. I didn't think it would work, but I see some of you have been doing it and it works fine. Thanks for the input on this.

Tammy

Tammy, I have been trying to use 4045H for a rustic everlasting with limited success. The wax around the glass tea light holder gets too hot and has melted a little. I am still playing with additives to increase the melt pt of the wax. I was going to try 1260 next. LOL Sounds like you aren't happy with your results. How long did you go between pouring layers with the 1260.

sharyl, to be perfectly honest, I didn't watch the clock. It was a non-stop process. I used one of my presto pots for the initial melt, then laddled out the desired amount into three pouring pots, added steric, then dyed 2 pots. I poured at about 160 (it was almost to the point of getting slushy). I already had my next color on the double boiler reheating. Before it got up to temp I noticed that the first layer was starting to pull away from the sides of the mold. I took that color out of the double boiler and put the next color in. Again, before the next color was up to temp, it was starting to pull away. I was pouring cool enough so there was no overpour, but at the time I wasn't sure, so I continued to rush through the process. I was so worried about how fast it was cooling and trying to get the next pour in that I never looked at the clock. About an hour after I did the final pour, the candle slipped right out of the mold. It was like a candle making marathon. Now, that I am not so worried about the overpour factor, maybe I will make another one. I do like the way it turned out; it was sort of a nice surprise. At the time I was trying for a nice frosted rustic like judyvegas. What I got was texture surprise. Hopefully I will get a picture tomorrow and post it. I have been so busy lately, between my son and his activities and getting winterized. I woke up this morning to a blanket of white and I still didn't have my pool picked up. It was drained, but not taken care of yet. I managed to get that done today after the frost burned off, along with stacking a tier of wood in the woodshed. Tomorrow I have to move the rabbit cages under cover. It's not fair that the busiest season for candle makers is also the busiest time of year for everything else.