Marketing tactic

barncat

I was at the grocery store and the check out clerk says...I smell cotton candy...well it was mulberry,i think, but anyway it got me thinking. She asked me lots of questions and all, yet how do I get her to buy? So I thought....I'm going to make a few 1oz sample jar candles with my name website and phone and give to anyone who mentions that I "smell". Think i'll throw a few in the car, since the weather has cooled and maybe 2-3 in my purse. Cost for these is under .25 so I dont have too much to loose...but a lot to gain! I think this a better business card than anything else!

1oz sample jar candles...Cost for these is under .25

That's a great idea! Could I ask where you buy such small jars at such a good price as to be able to make them for under 25¢ each? I would love to be able to purchase some as containers are my biggest expense! TIA :)

I hand out ornies here and there, also. Um, like I gave some out at our vet's office since we are always freaking there w/one of our six animals it seems. I handed out five, and I have gotten several candle orders from them, w/more for Christmas on the way. Also hairstylist, servers at restaurants along w/their tip (if they seem to not be a ditzy college kid who I wouldn't trust w/an actual candle lol), things like that. Just another idea to throw out there along w/Barncat's (sorry, not trying to hijack your thread) :)

Well, one of my most succesfull attempts at promotion was giving a free candle to my bank. I told them that I was giving it to them as long as they would burn it in the bank. They sat it right there on the counter and burned that sucker for several until there was little left and I ended up getting SEVERAL orders from that one candle.

When I go into the post office to ship order, they all play "Guess what the candle lady has been making today" based on the aroma cloud I am surrounded by. I ALWAYS carry cards. I am seriously thinking of getting work tshirts made up that say "All these stains on my shirt are from making candles, but I smell good!"

I was Target the other night and I had been making Hillbilly Homebrew during the day. I had spilled a tad bit on my tshirt so I was throwing out some major HH stench. So this man is like following me. :confused: At first I thought it was just my imagination, but nope, there he was again. He comes up to me and finally said "I am so sorry, this may sound weird, but you smell good. Not like a perfume good, but like a food good." I just started laughing because it was so abserd and the look on his face was priceless. I explained, gave him a card and his wife emailed me lastnight and bought four of the candles. Her subject line read "My husband smelled you at Target." I flipping busted a gut!!!!!!!

I have been known to dab pink sugar on my wrist before I go to my Weight Watchers meeting. I network in line for the scale and have been pretty darn successful. You can imagine what Pink Sugar does to a line full of very hungry people who have been fasting most of the day because they have to weigh in! :laugh2:

That is funny! :laugh2: :laugh2: I get that all the time people asking what is that smell.. It smells like ???? They always get it wrong. Yesterday when I was shipping some orders out the counter person said you smell like apples. I said no I have been making gingerbread and cinnamon scented candles. I thought I packed the orders really good but they still smelled or what it me???. I even started wearing an apron because I tend to wipe wax and FO all over me....

One of the librarians, remembers when I was checking out soap making books by the dozens! LOL

She asked me last week if I was still making soap, this has been a couple of years now.

Today I'm taking in a little bag of samples for the librarians!:yay:

Barncat, I would also love to know where you find 1-oz jars for under $0.25 each. I love the idea of giving out sample candles but have only found 1.5-oz jars for less then $0.50--with the cost of of filling them, the price gets closer to $1.00. I know that's a small investment, but much more than $0.25

TIA,

Jane

Well, one of my most succesfull attempts at promotion was giving a free candle to my bank. I told them that I was giving it to them as long as they would burn it in the bank. They sat it right there on the counter and burned that sucker for several until there was little left and I ended up getting SEVERAL orders from that one candle.

Well, had to stop in the drive-thru this afternoon so I put the question to the teller; they're not allowed to burn candles...

Guest Candelishis

I keep a tart warmer on the front counter at work (insurance agency), and people always come in and say "ok...today's scent is..." and they're either way off or right on the money. I gave the girls at the front desk some of my business cards and if someone asks "mm what smells so good?" they give the person my card :) They have fun playing "what flavor do we want to smell today?" when they get in the big bag of tarts in their filing cabinet. Also, this was a good way to get rid of "ugly" tarts. I had a bunch frost on me once and just dumped them into the bag at work. Same with broken ones. It's a pretty high-traffic office, and I get lots of orders just from people who come to pay their insurance bill or get a quote.