Tea Light in Plastic Cup Mess...

A friend of mine brought her tart warmer into work to show me what happened last night when she lit the tealight for it...thank God I didn't make the tealight! Anyway, she said that in a matter of a few minutes, the wick melted straight down the center of the tealight, and the hot wax made a blow out in the side of the plastic cup it was in, and hot wax poured out all over her stove...:shocked2:

On inspection, the plastic cup that held the tealight is GONE! I asked her if she was SURE it was there to begin with, she said she was certain, as she had mentally noted at the time she lit it that she wasn't sure where she had gotten one w/ a plastic cup instead of metal...

What the heck could've happened? I know wicks will tunnel if they're too small, but she said this was a torch and smoked all over the place too.... :confused:

I have tart burners here that I will never us again. There were not enough holes in the top of it to let out the heat. I shoved the tea light to the back of the burner not knowing that I would also end up with a mess. The tart burner was black and cracked. I thought tart burners were safe and left the room for a short while only to come back and find a mess. I don't think it was because of the plastic contain your friend used but possibly the tart burner.

Janet

Was the tealight in an enclosed space within the tart warmer? As well as it sounds over wicked and acrylic tealight holders can vary, some are not the greatest quality. We purchased a huge amount some three yrs. ago thinking what a great deal, had nothing but issues with them using our normal wax and wicking formulas. The company did take them back and we returned to paying slightly more for ones we had used in the past that met our needs and safety considerations.

Wendy

I have tart burners here that I will never us again. There were not enough holes in the top of it to let out the heat. I shoved the tea light to the back of the burner not knowing that I would also end up with a mess. The tart burner was black and cracked. I thought tart burners were safe and left the room for a short while only to come back and find a mess. I don't think it was because of the plastic contain your friend used but possibly the tart burner.

Janet

Ya know, now that you mentioned that, this particular burner is small-ish, w/ TINY holes in the top...hmmmm, and yes, majorly sooted up in there now...but if she's used this warmer in the past w/ the metal cup teas, I wonder what the difference was???

And yes, Country Crafter, since that cup is GONE, I'd think it'd have to have been a poor match for the wax/ wick combo, don't you think? Besides, scary thought, but how much of the mass produced teas ARE adequately tested?? No one even knows where they come after they are taken from their package and are used... :rolleyes2

I say she is full of crap and it was not in a plastic container. She probable thought the wax, because it was hard, was a container. There would have to be something left, cause the wax spilled all over and the wick burned straight down. So it could not have been burning for long, if it got that hot enough to melt the plastic all gone it would have left a real mess or broke the whole thing. And I have never seen a telight sold as one only, tell her to show you the rest. It must have fell out of the tin and she didn't notice. JMHO

I'm with Sharon on this one.

If it was in a plastic container, to melt away plastic to vapor would take HOURS if not days burning. There would be some kind of hard chunk left at the very least. Some sort of melted plastic. If the wick tunneled down, and it blew out the side, then there's no way that the plastic melted where it didn't blow out.

I say she is full of crap and it was not in a plastic container. She probable thought the wax, because it was hard, was a container. There would have to be something left, cause the wax spilled all over and the wick burned straight down. So it could not have been burning for long, if it got that hot enough to melt the plastic all gone it would have left a real mess or broke the whole thing. And I have never seen a telight sold as one only, tell her to show you the rest. It must have fell out of the tin and she didn't notice. JMHO

Ya know what guys, i am leaning toward what you guys are thinking....it seemed so weird to have that thing evaporate like that so fast... who knows....she may have sat it down for a quick minute and didn't realize when she picked it back up that she left the cup behind... :tiptoe:

HenryK, thanks for posting that useful (scary!) information!

She should take it back to the store she purchased it from and let them be aware of a potential problem. Another thing is you mentioned she had the tealight warmer on the stove. Was the oven on or was the stove on when she placed the warmer on there. There are alot of things that could have happened..