Now look what you've started lol

honebun

Well Scented and JV you now have me determined to crack this rustic pillar thing. I've had a few attempts at the rustics, here are the latest efforts. The brown one had no vybar in it, really didn't like it has nasty snowflake looking clumps through it and had to pratically dig it out of the mold. The two mauve and white ones have vybar in them no snowflakes but not very rusticky :( Also got me a measuring spoon so I now get proper tbsp too. Should I try and stick with not using the vybar and up the temp for adding the stearic :confused: so want to get these nailed

post-7695-139458436097_thumb.jpg

Sarah, I'm a rustic newbie but I think we are suppose to add stearic and pour cool (150 - 155 F) for the rustic effect. The hotter you pour the more likely to get snowflakes. At least that is what my notes say. I have 3 T of stearic/lb of wax in my notes. Don't know if that is for all rustics or just those made with 4045H.

It can be so confusing. Keep playing. You are getting some great layers.

sarah

they look brilliant

next time i order something from you via ebay please dont be afraid to slip one of the mauve ones in the parcel, purely so i can test one for you :cheesy2: :cheesy2:

will look brill in my bedroom, sorry did im say a great independant candle tester!!!:cheesy2: :cheesy2:

well done

andrea

Yep I'm pouring at 150 I just added the stearic at 180 thought it might help to make mix better. Adding 3 tbsp of stearic as well and its very chilly in here weatherman just said it was going to drop to 0 degs tonight so its certainly not too warm in here lol. I seem to be doing what everyone else is, maybe its the wax :smiley2: I shall keep trying, thanks everyone

Hi ya Andrea didn't realise it was you :) think I've got to let my mum test one of those lol she's been after a berry one for about 6 months but will slip something into your next order :). Have to add a bigger house to my list of things to buy lol not enough rooms to test burn in

Well Scented and JV you now have me determined to crack this rustic pillar thing. I've had a few attempts at the rustics, here are the latest efforts. The brown one had no vybar in it, really didn't like it has nasty snowflake looking clumps through it and had to pratically dig it out of the mold. The two mauve and white ones have vybar in them no snowflakes but not very rusticky :( Also got me a measuring spoon so I now get proper tbsp too. Should I try and stick with not using the vybar and up the temp for adding the stearic :confused: so want to get these nailed

Whistling at your candles (you know the way men whistle at babes lol)

I found I don't really like the vybar in the mix and I did give that a try this last time. I would say stick with the steric (JMHO). I still got some rustic crust on the vybar ones, but they just appeal to me more with only steric.

And DON'T hate mottling ... (the snowflake crap lol). A rustic mottle is just as pretty as a rustic.

I agree w/that. In fact, I think they look better w/mottle. But I'm always odd man out most of the time lol.

Practice makes perfect, you're coming right along! I'm going downstairs to my shop right now to play :D

Oh, and if you're having to practically dig it out of the mold, it doesn't sound like you're waiting long enough to unmold? You aren't trying to rush it, are you?

Thanks for the encouragement folks :) I realised the mold I'd used had a slight dent in it (wondered why it was at the back of the cupboard lol) Had left it overnight and its getting pretty darned cold here just now. Have been playing with the wax again this evening, now using a proper tbsp measure and it seems just to have a pretty snowflaky pattern rather than big clumps of white going through it, so fingers crossed this one will come out ok. Can't wait to get my wick pins it is a bit of a nightmare keeping the wick straight, but still having fun playing with these.

Thanks for the encouragement folks :) I realised the mold I'd used had a slight dent in it (wondered why it was at the back of the cupboard lol) Had left it overnight and its getting pretty darned cold here just now. Have been playing with the wax again this evening, now using a proper tbsp measure and it seems just to have a pretty snowflaky pattern rather than big clumps of white going through it, so fingers crossed this one will come out ok. Can't wait to get my wick pins it is a bit of a nightmare keeping the wick straight, but still having fun playing with these.

Oh yeah, the dent would make it very difficult to remove - I had a dented mold once, it really sucked. Can't wait to see this new one :)