Flat vs Concave Molds?

I'm a pillar newbie. For Sunday's class I made a 3 x 3 1/2", and 3 x 6 1/2" using a concave aluminum mold and a 3 x 6 1/2" pillar using a flat top mold. All 3 were wicked with FB 24 twisted. The pillar made with the flat top mold seems to have a bigger flame than the 2 pillars made using the concave molds.

I expected to have to change wicking due to FO or dye but not due to whether or not the mold had a flat or concave top. Is this occurring because I'm a clueless newbie or is this normal?

Living in a state of pillar wicking confusion. :confused:

That's normal. The shape of the mold can affect the first several burns.

Another way to think of it is that the shape of the top of the pillar affects any burn, whether it's from the mold or just from how it was burned previously. That's the basis of so-called candle memory.

With a flat top the flame will grow more (often much more) during the course of the first burn. Any wax above the level of the wick (as with a concave top) will tend to slow down the burn, or in more extreme cases can drown the wick.

Must admit I prefer the concave molds it does seem to give me a better burn, haven't made pillars in ages so its been fun going back to them since I've tried out these rustics. Sharyl have noticed you said you used a FB 24 twisted wick, have I been doing something wrong I've never twisted a wick before. Forgive my ignorance, but how is this done, have seen a couple of messages quoting twisting the wick. I soak my wick in the melted wax before the additives are added and then lay it out flat to dry for a few minutes before threading it through the mold. Is this wrong lol.

Thanks Top. I need to order more pillar molds and didn't know which style to order. Think I'll go with the concave top. That big flame on the 1st burn is kind of scary.

Sarah, There were posts some time ago on twisting FB wicks so they don't curl to one side. I don't think that is as big an issue with SB. Here is a link to one thread on twisting the wick.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16019&page=2&highlight=twist+wicks

I prime the wicking, insert thru the pillar mold hole, secure and as recommended in the above post, twist the dickens out of it. It is a little harder to do when using wick pins. I had to pre-twist the wick and it was hard to thread thru the hole up the pillar. Understand that I am a pillar newbie. But I have been reading posts and making notes on how to make pillars for a couple of years.

Thanks Sharyl, just read that, thought I was doing something totally wrong lol. I already have SB, in fact I've got so many different wicks here and rather ugly looking rustics that I've made in the past few days I'm testing anything that will burn lol. Got some pillar wick pins on their way so will see how I get on with them. Definitely need more molds and more pouring jugs, can see this rustic layer thing is going to be quite addictive.