Presto Pot question...

Hello! I have recently ordered a presto pot and would like to know the techniques you use for it. Do you melt the wax and then pour it into separate pouring pots, color, scent then pour? If so, how do you know how much to put in your pouring pots? Do you weigh it? Or do you color & scent in the Presto pot and pour it right in to the containers? I hope this question makes sense, TIA!:D

Mary <><

It makes perfect sense but the answer is: it depends ;)

My personal method is to put raw wax in the Presto for melting. When I'm ready to make a particular candle, I draw the amount of melted wax I need from the Presto (via spigot in my case) into a pour pot. I weigh the pour pot while I'm drawing the wax from the presto, so I know I have the right amount I need. I then add FO, Color, UV, and anything else I'm putting in the candle into the pour pot. I do my mixing and stirring in the pour pot and then when it gets to the right temperature, I pour it into my containers.

Does that help at all?

Guest Candelishis

I do the same as racolvin. Melt in presto, put in pour pot, weigh, add color and FO, when it get to the right temp, pour it.

Thanks to all! That helps a lot! Actually, when I was posting that question, I heard the FedEx truck pull up. He brought my Prest Pot! :yay: I am off of work for the next 3 days, so I guess I know what I will be doing! :laugh2: Thanks again!

Mary <><

Do you melt the wax and then pour it into separate pouring pots, color, scent then pour?

Yes.

If so, how do you know how much to put in your pouring pots? Do you weigh it?

Yes.

Or do you color & scent in the Presto pot and pour it right in to the containers?

Yes.

It depends on whether you are making a big batch of all the same color and scent or whether you are melting a quantity of wax to be subdivided into different FO/dye combinations.

Guest Candelishis
You'd have to clean out the Presto thoroughly. Whether that's worth the work involved (and the paper towels) is up to you :) That's precisely why I don't add FO or color, etc in my presto, since I don't want to have to clean it out :)

Ditto again. I can't imagine trying to make sure I had all that FO and dye out of the spigot!!! I would only do that if I were making A TON (and I mean like hundreds) of the same candle at a time. Sounds like more trouble that it's worth IMO.

I keep my presto pots full of wax - they will hold 8 lbs good. If I am pouring a large batch I mix everything up in pot, if small amount I use my coffee pot, it holds 3 lbs to rim, measure 4 is 1 lb, 8 is 2 lbs, and rim 3 lbs. I do not mix fo and color in it though, I pour into pour pitcher for that. I haven't had a problem getting the wax out of spigot. I just wipe it good on the inside, if strong scent, I will put some wax remover on paper towel and wipe real good and it's good to go again.:P Just got a turkey cooker yesterday for the really big jobs, can't wait to give it a try.

I keep my presto pots full of wax - they will hold 8 lbs good. If I am pouring a large batch I mix everything up in pot, if small amount I use my coffee pot, it holds 3 lbs to rim, measure 4 is 1 lb, 8 is 2 lbs, and rim 3 lbs. I do not mix fo and color in it though, I pour into pour pitcher for that. I haven't had a problem getting the wax out of spigot. I just wipe it good on the inside, if strong scent, I will put some wax remover on paper towel and wipe real good and it's good to go again.:P Just got a turkey cooker yesterday for the really big jobs, can't wait to give it a try.

I love love love my turkey fryer! I do soy things in my presto pots, the same way as others, melt wax then take some out and put into pitcher, but my turkey fryer has my 4630 in it. Speaking of which, it looked kind of low the other day, I think I need to get busy getting more lol

I don't mix any dye in my presto pot for my tarts or wickless candles. I have done some of my scented wax bears in my presto pot :sad2: . But then I just wipe it clean. Actually this payday I am looking to buy a second one just for my tarts/wickless, one that will never have dye or fo in it for any project. The pour pots are easy to clean in oven. When I use dye I use a pour pot only, so no color in the presto pot ever. I got all the stuff to do a spigot but haven't yet. That might be another project for this weekend :smiley2: Also I order 4 pour pots for the price of 3 through Cierra. Thought that was a good deal worth mentioning. Seeing I havn't seen one locally for less than $15-20. These ended up being around $25 for 4 of those.(2lb wax holders-4lb wax holders were like $30 for 4) Plus they had free shipping for orders over $99. Which is easy to do with supplies. Wax however didn't get free shipping, but did count toward $99 for free shipping on all other stuff.

wendi

sorry I was a little long-winded tonight:cheesy2:

one more thing, I know haven't I wrote enough:tiptoe: ... but does anyone know if the presto pot we all buy at Wally world is the largest we can get? (without going say, the commercial/industrial route?) Just curious, I haven't seen them any larger but maybe someone else has.:smiley2:

wendi

I melt my wax, add color, additives and FO in the presto pot and pour directly into my pour pot and pour my candles. I don't do the spigot thingy......not necessary for me!

I wipe out the presto pot with (cheap!) papertowels and good to go to the next scent.

Been doing it this way for years!

I've never come across a bigger presto pot than what Wally World has.

Maybe I'm being dense, but I was wondering........ How do you all heat the wax to the right temperature to pour once you've mixed it with color and dye in the pour pot? Do you use something to heat the pour pot? I do not have a spigot on my kitchen kettle, I just tip the kettle to pour the wax into my pour pot. I add the color and scent in the kettle. I would like to melt a big bunch of wax and do several smaller batches from that by mixing the dye and scent in the pour pot, but am worried it would be too cool to pour after mixing it. I hope this makes sense!

Maybe I'm being dense, but I was wondering........ How do you all heat the wax to the right temperature to pour once you've mixed it with color and dye in the pour pot? Do you use something to heat the pour pot? I do not have a spigot on my kitchen kettle, I just tip the kettle to pour the wax into my pour pot. I add the color and scent in the kettle. I would like to melt a big bunch of wax and do several smaller batches from that by mixing the dye and scent in the pour pot, but am worried it would be too cool to pour after mixing it. I hope this makes sense!

I generally heat my wax to a bit hotter than I pour, that way by the time I have it all mixed well it is pouring temp

I turn on my presto griddle when I turn my presto pot on and keep my "coffee pot" and pour pots on this to keep the pots hot then you don't have to worry about a drop a temp. Always keep thermometer -spelled wrong?- on my presto pot I am heating wax in just to be sure of temp.

"I melt my wax, add color, additives and FO in the presto pot and pour directly into my pour pot and pour my candles. I don't do the spigot thingy......not necessary for me!

I wipe out the presto pot with (cheap!) papertowels and good to go to the next scent.

Been doing it this way for years!"

This is how we do it also. When we make votives and melts, we use 5 lbs of wax for each scent and that fills the pot pretty well. When we make jars, we use 2 1/2 to 3 pounds for each scent. We then use a metal measuring cup to get it to the pour pot. When it starts to get down there, we just pour directly from the Presto to the pour pot.

If we use red dye, I may run a baby wipe around to pick up any residual color - but usually, just wiping it down with the paper towel takes care of it.

Now, when I get brave enough to use my Masterbuilt melter, I am going to have to change my ways! But until then, this works for us.