Which jars to use?

I am trying to decide what jars to use for the fall- I need to make a decision by the end of November. I had been using the bulb jars and some jellies/masons, but the bulbs weren't as good with regards to sales as the mason and jelly jars (8 oz only, the 4 and 12 didn't sell well at all). The original reason I switched to the bulbs is the fact that it's nearly impossible to find any canning jars at this time of year around here and I'd like to have a supplier I can obtain them from consistently.

I've tried the 8 oz metro, it was okay, but the glass was so thick that it didn't show the crystals as well in my palm wax... and wicking was another issue (see my other thread on that adventure in the veggie section... I can kinda laugh about it but the bruises are still on my leg)...

I do like the bulb jars personally, but it seems that others prefer either the country look of the masons or the classy look of straight sided jars.

I like the madison and morgan jars, but I have no idea how hard they would be to wick with my wax (soy c3).

My only wholesale customer likes the bean pot jars. I think they'd be a B&tch to wick, even though they are similar in size to the bulb jars (at least, the 5 oz ones are). But she wants palm, at any rate, which I can't get from CS for another month and I won't be able to reach her deadline, at any rate. She's been picky from the get-go, too... that's another story. But should I base what I order on what customer may or may not want, or should I try to find those jars that are best sellers for a lot of people on here?

I did a poll not too long ago on here and the 8 oz jellies were by far the most favorite and best sellers of the people who voted. I like them, I know how to wick them. It's just finding a supplier who will not charge me an arm and a leg for shipping them, as it's touch and go if I can get them locally. The upside is that they look great with both soy and palm and I've been working with them for quite some time.

Another factor to consider for me is suppliers who sell in dozens rather than cases. For instance, the jar store, where I got my bulb jars from, sells their jars in cases of 24, 36, 48, depending on the size of the jar. I'd like to order less. I have found a site (forget which one but have it saved somewhere) that sells by the dozen. Is it better to buy by the case (which I did with the bulbs last April and I have most of them left- I made most of them for a craft fair but didn't sell all of them, have most of them left, in fact, hence why I'm trying to find another jar to use). I'd almost rather buy a dozen at a time, see if they sell, then try to get more in bulk if they're successful.

One thing about the jelly jars is that they aren't exactly 'original.' So many people sell them on Ebay and sell for so cheap that if I lowered my prices that much, I'd be losing money...

I'd like a unique looking jar that everyone else doesn't have- also the reason I tried the bulbs.

SO... other than the mason and jelly jars, what would you recommend?

A straight sided jar would be best, which is why I liked the metro, but it's so thick and also broke on me during my first test run.

I hope this makes sense!

What would you do?

Have you tried tins? I know, they wouldn't be the best for crystalizing palm since you can't see the sides, but they're great for soy. They're also cheaper for shipping since they don't weigh as much and are easier to pack.

At the moment I'm using 1.5 oz oval hex jars (great for the holidays, people buy tons of them!), 4 oz tins, 8 oz tins, 8 oz tureens, 8 oz square masons, 8 oz hourglass (selling out of these and won't be replacing), and 20 oz tureens. I'm considering 5 oz ginger jars from Aztec also- they're an awesome price and I may replace my 4 oz tins with them.

I just find a supplier near me and see what they have. Even if I don't pick them up, it's in the same UPS shipping zone.

-Kristi

Tins- Yes, I have the 4 oz flats... Some of my customers like the tins, but most like the way you can see the wax melting through the glass.

Are the 1.5 oz oval hex jars hard to wick?

Where's Aztec?

Thanks!

Have you tried tins? I know, they wouldn't be the best for crystalizing palm since you can't see the sides, but they're great for soy. They're also cheaper for shipping since they don't weigh as much and are easier to pack.

At the moment I'm using 1.5 oz oval hex jars (great for the holidays, people buy tons of them!), 4 oz tins, 8 oz tins, 8 oz tureens, 8 oz square masons, 8 oz hourglass (selling out of these and won't be replacing), and 20 oz tureens. I'm considering 5 oz ginger jars from Aztec also- they're an awesome price and I may replace my 4 oz tins with them.

I just find a supplier near me and see what they have. Even if I don't pick them up, it's in the same UPS shipping zone.

-Kristi

Aztec is in Knoxville, not too far from me. It's still cheaper for me to pay shipping than to pay for gas though :shocked2:, so I ship it to me. The 1.5 oz can be tricky. They've taken me 2-3 guesses to figure out about every time. When I used C-3 I had to use a HTP-52 with them. I'm using GW 464 now (way easier to wick) and I almost always use an HTP-41, and occasionally that's too much. I have those listed as burn 2 hours at a time since they're so small. Burn time with a safety wick (6mm) is 10 hours, and it's about double for a 3 mm wick tab. They're very cute jars and take almost no wax to fill. Here most people prefer them to melts or tarts, and it's the same amount of wax pretty much. I think last year they were $2.50 each, or 5 for $10 and I sold boatloads of them. Lots of other people carry that jar if Knoxville is too far for you.

-Kristi

peace,

i don't know what size bean pot jars your are using. but these 16 oz jars http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/StoreCategory.aspx?CatalogID=3&GroupID=588&CategoryID=1383&CategoryName=++Surplus+%26+Limited+Editions are super cheap and with freight to me ( i'm in michigan) the total for 1080 pieces is only $321.91. :shocked2: i almost bought a pallet on impulse yesterday..but then i remember how folks were complaining about how hard is was to wick these..but dang these suckers are dirt cheap.

peace,

i don't know what size bean pot jars your are using. but these 16 oz jars http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/StoreCategory.aspx?CatalogID=3&GroupID=588&CategoryID=1383&CategoryName=++Surplus+%26+Limited+Editions are super cheap and with freight to me ( i'm in michigan) the total for 1080 pieces is only $321.91. :shocked2: i almost bought a pallet on impulse yesterday..but then i remember how folks were complaining about how hard is was to wick these..but dang these suckers are dirt cheap.

Wow, that is cheap, even if you just wanted 24. My luck would be it would be such a hit and since they wont have them any longer once they are gone, I would be up a creek trying to find more lol.

BCN has the 8oz jj for 3.75/dozen and I dont remember shipping being that bad, and I was in Kansas last time I ordered. Lids are seperate but that way you can choose something other than the standard gold lid if you like.

Good luck on your quest for your jars, sometimes that can be the biggest PITA in doing this. If the prim type stuff sold better for you, that's what I would probably stick with, or at least something as close as you can and still get good prices.

" did a poll not too long ago on here and the 8 oz jellies were by far the most favorite and best sellers of the people who voted. I like them, I know how to wick them. It's just finding a supplier who will not charge me an arm and a leg for shipping them, as it's touch and go if I can get them locally. The upside is that they look great with both soy and palm and I've been working with them for quite some time."

Do you have a True Value around you?? Or the place you normally buy your jelly jars may be able to order them for you, even if they are out of season. I know when people really liked a certain Ball jar, they had their local True Value order cases for them - and were not charged shipping since they were sent to the store.

Just a thought...

" did a poll not too long ago on here and the 8 oz jellies were by far the most favorite and best sellers of the people who voted. I like them, I know how to wick them. It's just finding a supplier who will not charge me an arm and a leg for shipping them, as it's touch and go if I can get them locally. The upside is that they look great with both soy and palm and I've been working with them for quite some time."

Do you have a True Value around you?? Or the place you normally buy your jelly jars may be able to order them for you, even if they are out of season. I know when people really liked a certain Ball jar, they had their local True Value order cases for them - and were not charged shipping since they were sent to the store.

Just a thought...

Hi Jane,

Yes I have a True Value... I bought them out last season... lol. It's just not a reliable source, really. They can sell out. And I've called stores around here (sometimes the northeast just isn't really friendly) and have gotten the, are you kidding? We're not even supposed to 'hint' that THOSE are available past season...

I think I may just stick with my bulbs. I do like them... maybe not everyone does, but a lot of my customers who have tried them do... so. It's either a steady supply of jars that are a bit higher priced, or jars that come and go w/the season, unfortunately...:rolleyes2