teddy bear making

7 Pawz

Hi guys:)

I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but in addition to candlemaking & soaps (sometimes), I'm going to attempt to craft teddy bears and cloth dolls:)

I got lucky and purchased yards and yards of fake fur, any color you'd want, for very little money, they just wanted to get rid of it, about 3 XX lg ziplock bags holds most of it, got no room in my closet now :laugh2:

anyway, i saw some gorgeous bears made out of mohair, quiet expensive, but understandably so. That's where I got the idea to try and make them as well; but i'll have to really improve before i get the mohair.

Are there any bearmakers here to?

I did that a few years ago, before candlemaking. One thing to invest in is some good long doll making needles. You also need to be aware of naps in fur. This is very important and can effect the outcome of the bear. There are some bear making books out there at local craft stores. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I started needle felting a bear and I'm almost, almost done with it. I looked into sewing teddy bears as well. I decided to stick to smaller bears that I will hand-stitch since I have extremely minimal experience with a sewing machine. And of course, I don't want to have to buy one and learn how to use it. lol.

I will PM you with more bear talk. :cheesy2:

Thanks for your reply Barncat:)

Luckily I have the long doll needles, but since I've not worked with the fake fur, I had to do a little research in one of my old sewing books and like you mentioned, the nap is of great importance. I dabble in soap as well, but mainly make candles. The only thing that has been of any expense so far is a bear making book, couple of patterns and some animal eyes and noses. Hopefully I can progress with this, I really like the way some of the bears and other plush animals are made.:cheesy2: