Compared to Tocca etc.......

ubure

Two weeks ago a furniture manufacturer contacted me and asked if I could make candles for his company as give aways for his customers. He wanted a very special scent, comparable to one of Tocca's scents, "Cleopatra".

I started with several different scent samples I mixed and sent him. He wasn't fully satisfied, but had 2 scents that had the right tendence. I changed them a bit and sent him about 6 new ones, in the tumbler he wanted to have. Now he likes three of the scents but: he wrote me that he thinks my wax isn't for scented candles, beacuse when he lits a candles by Tocca or other luxury brands they immediately melt to the brim and fill the room with scent. Mine doesn't.

Okay, I answered that he had chosen very light scents and that I used an average amount of fo for the samples but could add a little more if he liked. The I said that I use palm wax which doesn't melt that quickly and therefore has a longer burning time than paraffin candles. In addition I only wanted him to decide on a scent and see the tumbler. Beacuse I had only 2 days to create the different scents (we have to hurry up because time runs and the tumblers he wants take 4-6 weeks to be finished with logo and satinization (is this correct?) I hadn't been able to test the candle accordingly. If he tells me what scent he has chosen I will make a candle that fills his rooms with scent, burns correctly and is ready for sale.

I told him most of these things before, but he obviously didn't listen enough.

I know I'm doing a great job at making candles but this went a bit too quickly and I couldn't work the way I normally do. But I guess sometimes you have to react quickly - I am just gready because he would buy quite large amounts and I wanted to have this account or am I acting stupid?

:undecided

Make sure are are getting paid up front for all your tubblers, supplies time, &testing.

Sounds like he expects a lot quickly and he needs to understand that you need to perfect this scent and jar before you can resell it to him.

You don't want to go thru all this testing and ordering supplies and then have him tell you he does not want it.. :rolleyes2

MAKE SURE YOU GET PAID UP FRONT..:)

Just wanted to give a short update: I talked to my customer today and we decided on two scents (one of which he told me was exactly like the perfume from Tocca he wanted to have for his candles:cheesy2: :cheesy2: ). I could explain my way of working, how palm wax behaves etc..

I'm in and hopefully I can start producing soon (as soon as they have tested the final sample candles) - wish me luck!

Just wanted to give a short update: I talked to my customer today and we decided on two scents (one of which he told me was exactly like the perfume from Tocca he wanted to have for his candles:cheesy2: :cheesy2: ). I could explain my way of working, how palm wax behaves etc..

I'm in and hopefully I can start producing soon (as soon as they have tested the final sample candles) - wish me luck!

best of luck to you Inez, AKA The Nose!

We know you can do it!