Hgtv

This was a bit different, I was watching one of those home improvement shows the other day and saw two ladies making soy candles for a shelf they were putting up. They showed putting the wax flakes in the metal pouring and then in a double boiler. They when it melted they added the color and scent then pouring it in the container(glass) jar and then here is the part which I thought was a bit different. The put the wick in and it was a pretabbed wick, then tied it to a pencil.:confused:

Let it set and put it on the shelf after it set.

They did not glue the wick in place just let it float there:confused:

I've seen candle being made on other home improvement shows too - One day Hilde made some pillars on Trading Spaces - what a joke!!! We have to keep in mind that they are not candlemakers but decorators - big difference.

Darn that Hilde, she's ahead of me lol. I have never even attempted a pillar, the thought almost gives me a panic attack, I'm so afraid I will have wax all over the place :laugh2:

I just read on a 'DIY' type site that you can 'decorate' a dollar store candle by gluing a strip of wall paper border to the middle of it and then dipping the whole thing into melted paraffin a few times.

Now, I don't make candles... but I read a lot! Isn't this a HUGE fire hazard?

I think there are two camps of people... those who think candles are for looks and those who actually use them. It's the ones who think you simply 'decorate' with them that perpetuate how 'easy' it supposedly is. The next time someone says it's easy, I'm going to say 'oh yeah, molding wax? Yeah, that's easy. But I don't plan on making a CANDLE any day soon with out insurance.' Something to that effect. :)

I just read on a 'DIY' type site that you can 'decorate' a dollar store candle by gluing a strip of wall paper border to the middle of it and then dipping the whole thing into melted paraffin a few times.

Maybe they thought they would be safe w/ this suggestion, since those freakin' dollar store candles won't ever burn! <grin> I've seen some of the worst suggestions on DIY sites.

Susan.

lol...Yep a LOT of people use candles JUST for decorating, even JUST for the cold scent throw and might light it once for a hour or so. Then once the wick is black or they choose to redecorate the candle goes in the bin---or my local Sally Ann store.

We have all seen fire hazard candles with bits of flowers or seed heads right in the wax. Some people dont understand that youre supposed to take the raffia off before burning, much less the plastic wrap.

Its a weird world aint it!