Today I Learned About ....

naninkansas

SOAP ON A STICK!!

Being the adventerous person (aka 'sometimes not so bright') I decided to try Pine Tar soap for my sis that has exzema. I've made 4 batches of soap so far and figured I might give this a try.

I also learned that pine tar is not the most pleasant smelling stuff around. I scented it with Eucalyptus and Tea Tree Oil so hopefully it'll smell obnoxious in a 'better' way.

Oh, and pine tar is MESSY.

But, the soap is in the mold so time will tell.

BTW, I want to get my post count up but everytime I have a question I do a search and find my answer....... I'm not a very chatty person, so at this rate I'll never get my post count up!

I didn't check the temps with a thermometer (need to get one). I let them cool, but I know they were warmer than room temp. I added the fragrance to the tar/oil mix before mixing in the lye because I was afraid I wouldn't have time to after. I used my stick blender for less than a minute, then used the whisk, but wow, was it fast!

I'm anxious to see if it turns out. If it does I will give it all to my sis and tell her to MAKE IT LAST! :)

Thank you. I'll look for a thermometer next time I'm in town!:)

Where in this soggy state are you?

You could always mix your oils and let them sit overnight. E might slap my hands for this, but I wait till the containers of my oils are cold to the touch, about 4 hours works for me.

I also add scent before the lye water.

You could always mix your oils and let them sit overnight. E might slap my hands for this, but I wait till the containers of my oils are cold to the touch, about 4 hours works for me.

I also add scent before the lye water.

Not at all. I've done several hours, as long as they are cool. I add the scent to the oils as well, unless I know it will discolor.

e

Hi Scented. I'm between Wichita and Hutchinson, right off 96. Itty bitty place called Mount Hope. Where are you?

I need to learn to be more patient. I fix the lye water, then measure and melt the oils and wait. :waiting: Obviously not long enough though! :rolleyes2

I like the idea of getting the stuff ready the night before though.

For pine tar soaps I recommend using full water, soaping relatively cool and melting your pine tar with some reserved oil from your batch and adding the tar/oil mix at trace.

Don't try to stickblend the tar/oil mixture into the traced soap, it's better to whisk it by hand.

I've noticed that PT soap takes longer to cure, it will feel pretty sticky for a while, especially if you use a large percentage of pine tar.

Nothing will cover that scent, but it does mellow over time to something almost pleasant.

Thank you all for the advise. I'm not sure that I'll ever be making this again, but if I do I will heed your words.

It ended up looking like some of the nastiest, lumpiest, most disgusting stuff I'd ever seen.:( I almost pitched it, but since it was soft I thought why not try to melt it down and do something to salvage it. So I cut it up and threw it into the double boiler, added a little water and beat the crappola out of it when it melted. I put it back into the mold and it now looks like soap. It's been cut and is curing so we'll see.

Thanks again.

glad you rescued it.

yep room temp oils, room temp lye solution. measure your pine tar (I use 20%) into a disposable cup with a plastic spoon. stir - don't let your SB get near it. I don't even have to whisk.

I like the mild wood-fire scent of the brand of pine tar I use, but I know some are stinky. And after a couple of months there is almost no scent of it left. I didn't use any EOs or FOs either.