Dipped Bears

Hi to be quite honest i buy animals from yards sales (usually for .25 to .50) and the local flea markets , ofcourse i make sure there very clean. Just like Victoriaj said the long ones are nicest to work with, But i have dipped short haired animals also and they turned out ok also. Now the beany baby animals they have absolutely no fur to fluff and the beans kind of settled to the bottom and its almost impossible to try to position them (atleast from my experience with them). Check your flea markets and even yard sales you can find the cutest bears for like a quarter to fifty cents to play around with before you order the scragglies bears or any other kind of animals online.

Good luck

THANK YOU! for your replies :cheesy2: I was a bit dubious about using short haired beanies, so I tried one :shocked2: What a disaster, he looked awful. As you said there is no fur to fluff up. I will stick to the long haired ones in future.

Anjie,x.

What I have done many times with the beanie type bears, or for those who want scent without the wax, I inject the animals with FO with syringes you use to give animals medication. You can get them online or at local feed supply type stores. But for sure the longer the hair on the critter the better they fluff.

one girl I know dipped the small Mcdonald's beanies and put them in her car as airfreshners. One day she was showing me something in the backend of her vehicle and there one was. It did still smell, and she dipped it almost a year ago. Of course it was short haired and not fluffy but looked cute as an airfreshner.

wendi

No problem, glad i could help.If you decide to make them let me know what size bears because i have 2 brand new trash cans full of barrettes and ribbons hair peices that you pin on the animals to make them girly. Just let me know whenever you make them and if you decide your going to continue to make them and i will grab a couple handfuls and send them to you.

If you would like:cheesy2:

I tried a few of the long haired ones last year, they turned out ok, but I am too messy to be making those. I had a horrendous(sp?) mess, I tried to be careful and not get wax everywhere when I fluffed them up. But, I'm one of those people who the harder I try not to make a mess, the more mess I make.

Did I mention that I am messy?

That was the end of my dipping experience, so I definately don't have any experience with the short haired ones. But, there was a lady selling the daylights out of them at a show I done a couple of weekends ago. She had all types of bears, dogs, cats, short hair, long hair, you name it and she had it. She done a really great job on them too, they looked really cute. I've had a couple of people tell me it just takes practice to get them the way you want them. I just don't have the patience though, oh yeah, and I am messy.:laugh2:

I just wanted to add that I had used soy wax for all mine I sold last year around the holidays and while they are a little softer, they still turned out fine. A friend of mine still has hers sitting in her bedroom, and even moved this summer and it still smells great. She hasnt even used the hair dryer on it yet to refresh it.

No problem, glad i could help.If you decide to make them let me know what size bears because i have 2 brand new trash cans full of barrettes and ribbons hair peices that you pin on the animals to make them girly. Just let me know whenever you make them and if you decide your going to continue to make them and i will grab a couple handfuls and send them to you.

If you would like:cheesy2:

What a sweet offer. Your an angel! I just have to get the nerve to do it. I know it sounds silly, but I collected bears for yrs and the one's I got to dip from the dollar store, I hate to put in hot wax. :tiptoe: I know, very silly. Maybe someone can encourage me. :yay:

What a sweet offer. Your an angel! I just have to get the nerve to do it. I know it sounds silly, but I collected bears for yrs and the one's I got to dip from the dollar store, I hate to put in hot wax. :tiptoe: I know, very silly. Maybe someone can encourage me. :yay:

I know what you mean but , honestly, they don't scream for that long :laugh2: :laugh2:

I all seriousness, give it a go. I did and made a horrendous mess (i too am a messy cow lol) but I was soo pleased I tried it and the little bear turned out fab. I'd definately start with a long haired bear though, I can't get on with the short haired ones.

Anjie,x.

When the nerve does strike you just let me know.. All the hair barrettes & ribbons are brand new and there is plenty to share. I wish i had the patience to try and post a pic to show you what the finished results are using some barrettes.

But anyway just give me a holler if you want to try them one day:)

Anjie, i dont know if you have looked yet but i am finding it difficult finding a supplier to purchase long haired bears from in the U.K that are suitable for dipping. The ones i am currently using i have to buy retail, which means i dont really make money on them, so i need to find a wholesale supplier of them in the U.K.

Anjie, i dont know if you have looked yet but i am finding it difficult finding a supplier to purchase long haired bears from in the U.K that are suitable for dipping. The ones i am currently using i have to buy retail, which means i dont really make money on them, so i need to find a wholesale supplier of them in the U.K.

I haven't really looked in depth yet because I don't have a need for that many. I found some tiny little long haired bears on ebay, have you tried there?

Anjie,x.

is there anything specific the bears have to be then? I missed out on a brill auction for some on ebay a while back, went to click buy it now and someone beat me to it, within seconds.

I'm assuming it takes a lot of wax, cos the dipping pan has to be as big as the bear, or can you roll him round in it ;)

is there anything specific the bears have to be then? I missed out on a brill auction for some on ebay a while back' date=' went to click buy it now and someone beat me to it, within seconds.

I'm assuming it takes a lot of wax, cos the dipping pan has to be as big as the bear, or can you roll him round in it ;)[/quote']

They have to be stuffed bears, the ones with bean filling dont work. They dont take that much wax, i normally use about a 1lbs to 1 1/2 lbs for a medium size bear. I know there might sometimes be some suitable on ebay, but i want somewhere i can get a regular supply of the same bears. As i am sharting my site soon, it would be easier to have a steady supply of the same ones so i dont have to keep changing the photos. I like the look of some of the ones on US suppliers websites, but i think they would cost too much to ship over.

Theres some really nice bears on first and main, i will have to get a shipping quote and see if its worth it, once i have figured in the cost of shipping compared to the cost i can sell them for, i may have to get the ones from first and main though as the ones i am selling at the moment were end of line product, so once they are gone i cant get any more and i cannot find any more in the U.K that are o.k for wax dipping, did find a few but they are either not cute enough or they are too expensive, saw some that would have been suitable but they were $10 per bear! So will have to keep looking.