Does the 4627 & 6006 smoke like the 4630?

I haven't tried the 4630 so I can't compare.

I just started testing the 4627 and I am really enjoying it. I haven't had a problem with smoking using zinc wicks... even on fo's that I am testing at 9-10%.

Hopefully someone who has been using it for a longer period of time will give you advice....

HTH :smiley2:

I've been using the 4627 for about 20 months now and the only time I've had any smoking issues is with the cd series of wicks. Not sure why, but when I was testing, I just couldn't get them to burn right with the cd's. However, you do need to wick up most of the time with this wax. But, the hot throw and the cold throw are awesome! I wouldn't change for anything. Honestly, it's pretty messy though. Do a search on the 4627 on here and you'll find alot of info.

HTH,

Shari

We use LX's with 4630 and have no smoking issues BUT with other wicks we tried, that was not the case. It took us awhile (QUITE AWHILE :rolleyes2 ) to find the LX's (a wonderful person on this board recommended them), then to wick down low enough - but the LX's have been working great. We have to wick up or down occasionally for different scents.

We love the fact that there are little to no wet spots - which we care about, but alot of other chandlers could care less about.

It is a very soft wax, so I am not sure how well it would ship, since we haven't tried that yet. (I worry about shipping during the summer. I left a small one in my car - a gift for someone - and the darn thing tipped over and totally melted and dripped onto the seat of my car!)

Other than that, we are thrilled with this wax!

We use LX's with 4630 and have no smoking issues BUT with other wicks we tried, that was not the case. It took us awhile (QUITE AWHILE :rolleyes2 ) to find the LX's (a wonderful person on this board recommended them), then to wick down low enough - but the LX's have been working great. We have to wick up or down occasionally for different scents.

Ditto that! Glad I am not the only one that took a while to figure out the LX's work best with this wax. Kept trying to make HTP work as it was so highly recommended. My second choice is Peak's cottons. I love this wax. The throw and appearance are awesome! If you wick down enough it won't smoke. In a small container the challenge is finding a small enough wick. Good luck to you!

Ditto that! Glad I am not the only one that took a while to figure out the LX's work best with this wax. Kept trying to make HTP work as it was so highly recommended. My second choice is Peak's cottons. I love this wax. The throw and appearance are awesome! If you wick down enough it won't smoke. In a small container the challenge is finding a small enough wick. Good luck to you!

Yup, I just sold HTP's on the classies...because we tried them all before we moved to Cotton, Premier's, then FINALLY LX's.

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I've tested a ton of wicks with straight out of the box 4630 (not fragrance, color, etc) and most of them smoke and soot even with the recommended HTP's. I spent another four-hour note-taking testing session. During in one of my breaks, I made up a batch of ECO's and LX wicked candles using the "poke the hole and slide in the wick" method for prefilled containers. I had one prefilled container left so I made another LX-18. I also had some failures using a different wax and figured I try trimming the wick to 1/8" instead of the usual 1/4" since Yankee suggests that on some of their tumbler. I lit old failures and they are burning a little less smokey. I figured I'd light the the extra LX-18. So far it's has a nice flame and no smoke. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I've also just order a sample pack of the cotton core from Peak's.

The 4630 wax I'm testing with right now is close to 3 years old. The box went through the last summer in the garage and the box was badly oil stained from the wax inside since there is no plastic liner with this wax. Someone said on the forum that it should still be good but I still feel a little dubious about the quality of this particular box. I'm going to fill a few more wickless containers and do some retesting. I also have my LX and ECO's ready to test with the old batch which I'm going to start burning tonight. I had an extra wax-filled wickless container so I stuck in an LX-18 and figured I'd burn it. It gave me the best burn I've seen so far with this wax. All the other wick's have hang-ups on one side of the container and this is after the 6th burn. The only one that caught up were there CD's (4/5/6) which are not smoking now but were pretty smokey/sooty in the beginning.

Just to get some input. The LX-18 is in a 12oz status jar and after it's first 3 hour or so burn had a nice centered melt pool with about 1/4 inch hang-up on the side. I read somewhere that you shouldn't expect to get a full melt pool on the first 1 or 2 burns since the trapped heat will cause it to catch up later. Opinions?

Thanks

Neil

I would not try 6006 now. It has more serious problems than just smoking. Carole

I am suddenly having some issues with my candles and I use a mixture of 6006 and 4627. I am having soot deposit in my wax. Can you fill me in on what the problems are with the 6006. I would really appreciate it, as I have used this wax for 3 years and suddenly am having issues. Thank you so much.

I am suddenly having some issues with my candles and I use a mixture of 6006 and 4627. I am having soot deposit in my wax. Can you fill me in on what the problems are with the 6006. I would really appreciate it, as I have used this wax for 3 years and suddenly am having issues. Thank you so much.

This is an old thread from 2006 or 2007, and back then there was a problem with a bad batch of 6006, but that problem was resolved years ago.

I think my issue must be my wicks after reading all of these posts. I have been using Eco 8's in my 8 oz. 3" diameter jars and double wicking Eco 6's in my 18 oz. jars, and as long as I trim the wicks VERY short I don't have too much of a sooting issue unless it burns for more than 5 or 6 hours. The problem is getting your customers to trim their wicks VERY short. I think I may try the LX wicks. Does anyone have recommendations on sizes to start with going by the size jars I use? I would appreciate any help in making my selection. I had gone by CS's suggestion that the Eco's were best in both of these waxes, but that may not be the case. Thank you in advance.