Is a small flame ok with full mp?

What I think will probably happen, even though you've got a full melt pool now, that sooner or later the wick is going to drown out. I'm assuming that at one point you had a larger flame and then it slowly diminished in size...is that right? To keep your candle burning nicely and consuming the appropriate amount wax, in an appropriate amount of time, you want a sustainable flame of about 1/2-3/4"...give or take a smidge.

It's all about the throw. In most cases, people buy candles because they smell good. They come back to buy more if it continues to smell good throughout the life of the candle.

If your small flame and fmp gives you a good throw and doesn't fizzle, you're good to go. Too large a flame will most likely burn off the scent. Too small will most likely drown out toward the bottom of the candle, depending on your container.

Burn it all the way down and if it continues to burn and has good throw, the size of the flame is secondary. (Unless it's a torch and burns your village down.) There's a happy medium in your testing and you have to please yourself.

www.StuffSunshineLikes.com

I'm assuming that at one point you had a larger flame and then it slowly diminished in size...is that right? .

Yes, that is correct. It happens with certain scents regardless of the wick I use and I am afraid the flame will blow out with a small draft or breeze, like someone walking past. It is a small container, 4 oz, so I am thinking if I can get at least a 1/4" flame, it might be ok. Larger than a 1/2" inch and the jar gets too hot. Thanks everyone for your input!

Sometimes too much fragrance oil will drown out your wick as well, so if your overloading your wax with FO, that might be your problem. Just a guess since I don't know what kind of wax your using, or the type of wick and size for your 4 oz container. Perhaps offering a little more info will give you the answer your looking for.