I am NEW please help

I am looking for someone to help me I am new. If there is anyone who is willing to talk to me and help my e-mail is butterfliewind@gmail.com.

I just got some wax soy, wicks, and some fragrance. I have that candle magic machine to heat up my wax. I tried to put some wax in it, threw a bottle of fragrance in it the one pound/ to 1oz, and some color crayons. There is no fragrance when I burn it but I could smell it as it was cooking. The wax looks cloudy too. Also the flame put its self out. I am so lost and want to make these please help.

Ecosoya Container Blend 135 Soy Wax 10 lbs. That is the soy wax I bought.

I used the 6oz tin jars.

I used the fragrance oils from peak that is where I got all my supplies

and I am not sure what wick I used it was zinc core.

I didnt see how hot my wax was I have a candle magic machine and thought it really didnt matter.

I dont have anything but crayons so I will have to order some chips?

Ecosoya Container Blend 135 Soy Wax 10 lbs. That is the soy wax I bought.

I used the 6oz tin jars.

I used the fragrance oils from peak that is where I got all my supplies

and I am not sure what wick I used it was zinc core. Size does matter...lmao - for real it does.

I didnt see how hot my wax was I have a candle magic machine and thought it really didnt matter. Temp matters as well. Get a pour pot and a thermometer - I am only saying that cause I have not a clue what a candle magic thinger mer bobber is.

I dont have anything but crayons so I will have to order some chips? Yes you need chips, liquid dye, etc.

Also, how long did they cure?

I let them sit for about 6 hours. A candle magin is basically this pot thing you plug in and it heats up to melt the wax and has a spout to pour. So chips will work better than the crayons? I am so lost on all this candle stuff lol I am sorry. I need xmas presents and want to try this. I plan on just making jar candles. I got the 2 pour thing down. So if you pour the wax when its not the right temp will that affect the scents? I dont have alot of money to spend on experimenting making all these bad canldes. Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately it is going to take $$$$.

Yes, the temp plays a part in incorporating the fo into the wax.

If you are using soy - which someone can chime in here better than I can {STELLA} (lol). You have to let it cure.. Some soy as early as 48 hours depending on the scents and up to 1-2 weeks.

Maybe someone can give you starting points on what size wick to use with the wax, fo and tin size.

Rarely people are lucky to get it right on the first try. So it is going to take time. Have a back up plan in place if these are not right by Christmas.

I am not trying to be harsh, but realistic.

You have to keep good notes. On what temp you added the fo, what temp you poured, how many chips/drops of die you used. To take it a little farther - the temp in the room when you poured - lol - that part is advanced I know....but I believe it can play a part.

I think of candlemaking like chemistry. formulas, formulas.

Keep going though...dont give up

I'm not Stella, but she's probably getting some sleep.

Soy wax is not the wax to tackle if you don't have a lot... and by a lot, I mean A LOT, of money to invest. I think that it's misleading to price soy wax a bit cheaper than paraffin wax... it sucks people in!! I'm teasing...

In my testing, I've found that zinc wicks just don't work in soy wax. They don't burn hot enough. Soy wax burns much cooler than paraffin, and it needs a hotter wick. Mind you, this will bring in a whole new set of problems, but one thing at a time. But, if the wick is too large, it just consumes your FO, and then you don't get a fragrant candle either. Confused yet? If you search through this vegetable section, you'll see countless threads about wicking and hot throw (the scent of the candle when burning).

FO... not all FO works in soy. Some that work for one person won't work for another. Peak has outstanding oils, but even they have some that won't work for me.

I understand that it's difficult to read through posts when you aren't sure what people are saying, but you'll make many, many cool points by doing some searching here. Every one of us was where you are now, and I think that most of the people who have stuck it out are the ones who show gumption to read and learn all they can. For example, if you search the vegetable wax section, use 'zinc' as your search word, you'll find pages of threads about zinc wicks. Not only that, but I've found that by doing things that way I get answers to questions I'd never have thought to ask.

There are so many important things that should be done... weigh everything, and weigh it accurately. Make sure the wax is at the right temperature, add the FO at the right temperature. Pour at the right temperature. Read the manufacturers guidelines for your wax. Come here and search for answers. Ask us specific questions. Get a second job to help finance your new addiction. The list is endless, as you can see...

Best of luck!

Where are you at butter? Maybe there's someone here that happens to be really close & can take you under their wing. Sounds like you've had a reality check on this being a little more complicated than just melting some wax, so I'll skip that lecture! Soy is a funky wax & one of the more difficult beasts to tame. If you want to give gifts by Christmas, you seriously need someone to help you meet that deadline. I'd consider skipping the color & going w/ natural color, cause frosting is going to bring you to tears! Since you're not using any additives, I'd let them cure for 2 wks to see if you have any hot throw. Everyone has different opinions, but I haven't found a lot of Peaks fo's give me the throw I'm looking for. Wonderful scents, just not very reliable in soy. There's a wonderful Victorian poem for Bayberry candles & makes a great Christmas tradition -- I'd walk you through that, if you can't find anyone to help you w/ what you're working on. Good luck.

Susan.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I do not have alot of money to spend here starting. What do you suggest that I try? The parrafin wax? I just want to know what exactly I need to buy to start experimenting. I will keep on reading threads. But suggestions of what to buy would be great. I just want to start out and practice. :smiley2:

First things first. You need to find your wax closer to save you on shipping. Candle Science in Wisconsin has Ecosoya CB 135 sometimes it can save you shipping and sometimes it cost just as much. You have to find that out for yourself. http://www.candlescience.com

You can get a thermometer at Walmart.

On Peak's site the heating information for your wax is heat to 155 deg. F then a starting point for pouring is 125 deg. F

Wicks, if you look up Ecosoya 135 you get 6 pages of threads. When reading I noticed Eco wicks are popular with that wax. So are LX, CD, and HTP's.

Peak's FO's are the best but here are some FO Suppliers in your state.

http://www.solascandle.com I think you could probably pick your FO's up there.

http://www.soywholesale.com

In Wisconsin there is:

http://www.candlesupply.com Bitter Creek

http://www.candlecacoon.com

http://www.thecandlemaker.com

http://www.candlescience.com

My opinion is to stick with just a few scents to test for presents and then after Christmas then test other scents. I know it can be tempting to buy a whole bunch of FO's but honestly you wont have the time to test them properly. And yes please buy dye wether it be chips or liquid.

Good Luck,

Mindy :)

Welcome butterfliewind! Sure wish you had found us BEFORE you loaded up on supplies... that candlemagic thing sounds like a SNUP tool to me (Serves No Useful Purpose). I am so jaded, old, suspicious and cynical, I probably wouldn't have bought it just because of the name - I don't believe in magic, at least not where handmade stuff is concerned!:wink2: OK, a gulp of coffee and away we go.

Candlemaking is not as simple as folks (especially craft stores and "kits") make it sound!

Soy wax is not the easiest wax with which to begin, but it's the one many folks (*puts hand up*) chose to start...

Navigate your way to the "General Candlemaking Forum," and click on the "sticky" post at the top of the forum that sez "Helpful Links for Newbies." Click on the link beside Abbreviations/Supplier Links. You will see a listing of suppliers, the abbreviations we use here for their names, and a link to their websites. BOOKMARK this page as it will come in VERY handy over time. Now click back to the "general Candlemaking Forum" and click on the OTHER sticky at the top that says "Suppliers by State". While this listing includes both soaper sites and candlemaking sites, there is some crossover. Look for suppliers in YOUR state or the next one over from you. Shipping is a big cost, so closer is better!

Since you are in Minnesota, there are several suppliers within a reasonable shipping distance from you (see Mindy's list except for CandleScience, which as grama pointed out is in NC). POUR over their sites and study the products they carry! You can learn a lot by studying supplier sites and the information they provide.

You've already been given some excellent advice...

buy a thermometer at WalMart, etc. - I bought two so I can doublecheck them against one another - one digital, the other a mercury candymaking thermometer. The digital costs more but is a little faster in measuring the temp.

I recommend liquid dyes over chips for soy wax. I use ones from JBN. Crayons are for coloring on paper, not candle wax.

I use NatureWaxC3. It is probably not the easiest wax to get along with, but it's pretty consistant so I know what to expect and how to correct problems with it.

EcoSoya is a good product, so since you have that, stick with it for a while.

I like CDN (Stabilo KST) wicks for soy candles because it, unlike CDs, which are identical in every other way, has been treated to make it perform better with veggie wax candles. Everyone has a favorite, so read the specs on the wicks (WICK IT), and make your own decision based on your wax manufacturer's recommendation, recommendations from people here and what you read from the candle specs.

Purchase a scale so that you can weigh your ingredients. Notice I said "weigh" and not measure. Candlemaking ingredients are measured by weight and not by volume (cups, teaspoons, etc.). Having said that, because so many folks HAVE measuring cups and spoons, get a set of each because some additive products DO have directions by the tablespoonful, teaspoonful, etc.

Purchase a graduated, glass measuring glass. Should hold about 4 fluid ounces. Good ones can usually be found in barware (for making large batches of Margaritas & Daiquiris without freepouring). You will use this to WEIGH your FOs (not all FOs weigh the same, so weigh them, don't measure them).

Get a notebook to record what you mix into a batch, the temperature you melt the wax up to, the temperature you add your FO, the temperature at which you pour. These are VERY important facts to know for when you have problems (and you will!). When you come back here to ask questions, the first thing we're gonna do is ask you all that information, so you will need to include it the first time around so we don't waste time extracting each bit of pertinent information from you, leaving plier marks on your skin.:)

I totally agree with Mindy's recommendation to keep your list of FOs very short. You will need to test each FO and wick combination and time is short between now and Christmas. If you cannot afford to buy a pouring pot or two, use washed out medium sized veggie cans, pinched to make a makeshift pouring spout.

Get your stuff together and get back to us before you pour next time and we'll try to walk you through. :)

Good luck and hope you get addicted!!:laugh2:

My suggestion? Don't buy anything else for a few days. Park your butt in a chair, and read this board. Read for days. Read the stickies for newbies at the top of the forums....just read threads. You will learn more in a few days of reading than you can imagine. You will gain a much better understanding of the cause and effect of doing certain things. You'll understand wicking, waxes, FO's, all that stuff. Then, when you get some more supplies you'll be able to make an educated choice as to what you want/need, and why. HTH.

bravo stella wonderful advice as usual. I use the ecosoya cb135 after switcing a few times. The wicks I find that work for me are the LX but I am in the process of testing the premier wicks now. I started with color/dye but then decided I just didnt want it so now I go with just the white that the soy has. Some FO are not soy strong even after the cure time. I tired zinc wicks and they just didnt work for me but everyone is different.

If you have some wicks that you are thinking of trying let me know and I can go through my stack to see if I have any of the ones you are looking for before you go and spend more money I will just ship them your way.

also there is gellumiantions (I am sure I spelled that wrong) in IA that sells the ecosoya, that is where I get mine cause I was in south dakota and they were the cheapest for me for shipping.

Candles are very addicting and by no means a cheap hobby, I am so excited once I found this great forum though

I just want to thank you all for your great advice. I am collecting links, and trust me I am reading and reading and reading on here lol. As for wicks I ordered the sample pack from peak with the zinc ones so I have some of all sizes. I do still have about 10 pounds of wax so I am going to do some reading, and I have some fo's, and then maybe try some new wicks and stick to the cream color for a bit with the soy. Maybe someone wants to trade some wicks so I can experiment before buying more wicks?

I have a question. It says heat wax to 155f I get that but then it says to pour at 125f so I heat it up to 155 then wait for it to cool then pour?

I heat mine up to about 170, when I pour it into the pour pot it automatically drops degree's cause the pour pot is metal and cool. I then add the FO and stir stir stir. I have poured at cooler temps and warmer temps and now I find a happy medium.

Again if you see wicks you may want to try give me a hollar and I would be happy to send you some free if I have the ones you need. I know all about ordering wicks that didnt work for me lol. may even have some sample FO's that I have never used but bought cause I just had to have :laugh2:

I heat mine up to about 170, when I pour it into the pour pot it automatically drops degree's cause the pour pot is metal and cool. I then add the FO and stir stir stir. I have poured at cooler temps and warmer temps and now I find a happy medium.

Again if you see wicks you may want to try give me a hollar and I would be happy to send you some free if I have the ones you need. I know all about ordering wicks that didnt work for me lol. may even have some sample FO's that I have never used but bought cause I just had to have :laugh2:

Same here - I may not have an array of wicks....but def samples of FOs if you want to try.

Couple things to watch for as you read, read, read:

Some FOs don't do well in soy and heavy oils are usually harder to get the wicking just right. Heavy oils are usually darker in color than lighter oils. some heavies are Vanilla, Patchouli, Cinnamon.

good luck & have fun:cheesy2: