Slim Lip Balm Tubes - Help?

kinipela

I got lip balm base today (Soapers Workshop), melted some according to directions, added flavor, and added it to slim lip balm tubes with a syringe as I read here. However, once it was in the syringe, it got cold quickly and basically seized in the tube and I couldn't get them even half way full. I heated up the base a bit more, and that didn't help much. What's the trick? What am I doing wrong? :( Can I get the balm out of the 20 tubes and try again? Or am I stuck with lots of chocolate balm just for me?

I don't know how you heated yours up..... but I melt my oils / butters in a double boiler. Once everything is melted, I keep the burner on LOW or OFF -- the residual heat from the water keeps evrything liquid enough that I don't get seizing.

I really don't know how you'd go about salvaging the used lip balm. I supposed you could try a scrape - n - swirl technique?

I'm pretty sure you can remelt it fully and if it cools too fast for tubes you can pot it up instead. And yes, I'd just screw those balm tubes all the way up, and let it fall back into the pot to be remelted. Then just be sure to unscrew them so they can be filled again. Also try to arrange things a bit better so that you can move quicker and not have to remove your base from the heat while you fill the tubes. The same thing happens to me because i'm just not that quick at it yet in my inexperience. I usually get them MOSTLY full before it cools too much.

I keep my base in a quart canning jar. When I want to use it, I stick it in a pot of boiling water until it's melted. I pour some into a small dixie cup, add the flavor and pinch the edge to make a spout, then pour into my tubes. It's faster and easier than the syringe method.

e

I masterbatch my base~ and nuke whatever qty I need in a pyrex measuring cup. Set this on a candlewarmer that is preheated. Then I use a small dixie bathroom cup and bend a small "spout" and pour. I do small amounts with this cup and leave the base on the warmer until I am done, so it's more accurate and a LOT less messy. Works for me and very little fuss with clean-up.

Syringes are seem easier, but they are a PITA!

I masterbatch my base~ and nuke whatever qty I need in a pyrex measuring cup. Set this on a candlewarmer that is preheated. Then I use a small dixie bathroom cup and bend a small "spout" and pour. I do small amounts with this cup and leave the base on the warmer until I am done, so it's more accurate and a LOT less messy. Works for me and very little fuss with clean-up.

Syringes are seem easier, but they are a PITA!

I do this too, except I use a large pipette instead of a cup. When it clogs, just add more heated mix to it...cleans it right out. :)

Hi, I just responded to another lip balm one.....now i'm really gettin' ansy to try this out.....so you melt the balm, pour some in a dixie cup - how much is some? Half dixie cup, full, 1/4 full? And like another one said how many drops do you use in this dixie cup method?

Thanks Again for any help,

~Carlena~

www.carlenascreations.com

Hi, I just responded to another lip balm one.....now i'm really gettin' ansy to try this out.....so you melt the balm, pour some in a dixie cup - how much is some? Half dixie cup, full, 1/4 full? And like another one said how many drops do you use in this dixie cup method?

Thanks Again for any help,

~Carlena~

You need to weigh the base in the cup and add 2-4% by weight of flavor.

If you had 2 ounces of base, that's .04 -.08 oz of flavor. That's where a gram scale comes in handy.

I ounce = 28.35 grams, so 2 oz = 56.7 grams of base and 1.13 - 2.27 grams of flavor.

e

Thanks for the help...although i dont have a gram scale - my hubby is good with #'s so he's trying to figure out an easier way for me to do this with my digital scale. I'm sooooooo hoping this works! And am 'greatful' for the help - like i said earlier, i have 'everything' even the lip balm holder from The Sage and i've not even broke these things in; i gave up cause my one & only lip tube didnt even have enough flavor at all - it was disappointing; but i'm willing to try this again.

Thanks So Much:yay:

~Carlena~

You could get a lip balm filling tray from www.thesage.com for $10. They make them for regular tubes and slim tubes.

That's not the problem. I'm using a chunk of styrofoam and it's working just fine. It's keeping the liquid warm enough so it doesn't sieze on me and only partially fill the tube. I'm going to try again this weekend, haven't had time yet.

I'm using a chunk of styrofoam and it's working just fine. It's keeping the liquid warm enough so it doesn't sieze on me and only partially fill the tube. I'm going to try again this weekend, haven't had time yet.

Ugh, don't mind me :) I actually have a slim lip balm holder thingy coming from MMS today. I had ordered it before I posted this :) Oops. I didn't have time this weekend, and with the holder coming today, I'm hoping I can play tonight and hopefully get it to work.