Cheaper to make several smaller orders for wax than by the case?

Because of the friggin' shipping? I'm thinking of buying a case of Green Leaf 70/30, but shipping is so high because of the weight that I'm wondering if any of you buy smaller quantities and end up paying less overall? I'm a hobbyist, not a retailer, so I don't need as much as you retailers but I still need a good quantity to make Christmas gifts.

Darbla

Not really because usually in buying smaller qty's the price is more expensive per lb since you aren't buying in bulk, so that negates any discount you would get in shipping. Also if you add the individual slabs together with shipping, and then multiply that by how much you would spend on a full case with shipping, I would bet it would come out to probably actually quite a bit more.

At least this has been my experience in doing the math when I have to get wax shipped in. (not very often though, since my wax supplier is local :) )

If I was to order just a slab, I would pay over nine dollars in shipping. If I order a case, I pay $28.00 for shipping 55-60 lbs. So think about it, if I ordered 5 slabs at different times, I'd be paying almost FIFTY dollars in shipping! So uh, yeah, it's better to order the case if you can.

P.S. I think we all agree that shipping SUCKS. But at least we have that option lol

If their shopping cart calculates shipping, you could try mocking up an order for 1 slab, 2 slabs, ... , 1 case to see how the shipping varies. At one point it was cheaper for me to order smaller quantities because the shipping quote more than doubled for a 60 lb case compared with if I ordered 3 slabs (30 lbs).

At one point it was cheaper for me to order smaller quantities because the shipping quote more than doubled for a 60 lb case compared with if I ordered 3 slabs (30 lbs).

See, that's what I wondered. I thought I'd heard somewhere that you're charged more for one very heavy item than for several smaller ones. I don't remember what the reasoning was. Maybe hazards to the deliverer for having to move that much weight? Don't know. Or maybe that was so at one point but has been adjusted now.

Guest Candelishis

Where do you live? If you're in the midwest and use soy, try gatewayfoodproducts.com and email Kris for a quote. I get my wax for $56.50 per case, shipping included. I usually get it overnight too.

I think a lot of us end up using products we can 'live with' because the supplier is close & doesn't kill us on shipping -- mostly wax & containers. It's takes a LOT of research to cut costs. I can actually save money ordering the same wax from NC, instead of a supplier 3hrs away from me, plus the cust serv is SO much better! Where are you at -- maybe we can steer you to a supplier to cut your costs.

Susan.

I checked shipping and it was almost the same, within pennies, to buy six 10 lb slabs or buy the case. Both were $36 and some change. So I ended up ordering the case since it was cheaper for the quantity in it.

What was so strange though....... I did those dummy orders and got that figure of $36 something, but then when I added several FOs it went DOWN almost a dollar. The shipping charge was $35 something when I finalized the order. :confused:

Darbla

I've found that shipping by the case is most cost effective. 2 cases even better. For some reason I think UPS and FedEx give better breaks once it goes over 100lbs. At least that how it used to be. I haven't ordered that much wax in a while.

Finding a supplier close to you is better, even if they are just a state over. Also if you can have it shipped to a commercial address as oppossed to your residence can help but you have to check with supplier. Some will give you a break if you ship to a business address and some don't.

I pretty much have all my supplies sent to work. But I'm fortunate enough to work for a company that will let me do that. I'm going to be owing the mailroom staff some candles this Christmas.