Fragrance oil load in B&B products

DaniGirl

Hi everyone. Sorry to just jump in here, but I was searching the net for an answer and came across this board. I'm loving it so far! So far I am just making bath products for myself, but now friends are asking if I can make them some goodies too. For myself I just add fragrance to my own taste, but I'm wondering, if there is a general amount used per lb of a recipe you should use or does it depend on the item you're making? I've found some recipes I like, but the finished product doesn't seem strong enough (I am using quality skin safe oils). I've tried bombs and bubble bars, soaps (mp) and other things and once added to the water, they smell fine, but don't leave a scent on my skin. Is this normal? Is there a max amount that applies to all products or as I said, does it depend on the recipe? I'm so tempted to add more to these recipes, but for friends, I don't want to risk it if it's not safe. Would it matter too much since it's being diluted in so much bath water?

If you do a search on here, I'm sure you will find the answer. There is a wealth of information here and most every question you could ask has probably been answered many times over.

You have to be careful how much FO you use, you don't want to cause problems with burning on the skin. I know if you put too much FO in soap you will get burning.... and in places that you don't want to burn :shocked2:, ask me how I know!

Also B&B Suppliers usually have recipes on their sites.

Do your research and testing BEFORE you give out products to friends and family or sell!

Thank you both. I have done some searching here and have followed all recipes I have found over the months to a T, but was hoping there was a safe amount I could up them to. Like a % I shouldn't go over per product or if the max is what the recipes call for already. I guess I should leave them as is then? I won't be selling anything and I was definitely going to test everything before giving them away. I'll keep searching and can't wait to keep digging around these boards :yay:

I have ... followed all recipes I have found over the months to a T, but was hoping there was a safe amount I could up them to.

Recipes are a guideline, but the definitive information will come from the manufacturer of your oils. Some manufacturers produce weaker oil concentrations that can be used more liberally, some produce stronger oils.

You need to read the materials on your suppliers site or call and ask about the specific oil in question.

Recipes are a guideline, but the definitive information will come from the manufacturer of your oils. Some manufacturers produce weaker oil concentrations that can be used more liberally, some produce stronger oils.

You need to read the materials on your suppliers site or call and ask about the specific oil in question.

I second SisterKya. Each manufacturer has its own level of percentage of oils that is safe to use in various products, but as always test test test.

Welcome to the boards! You will learn A LOT here!!!:yay:

I think it also depends on what you are making, I have had good luck with most scents I have put into sugar scrubs that stay fragrant on the skin. Soaps are the hardest to find just the right manufacturer for strong fragrances. It is hit or miss and not all manufactureres are the same, you just have to figure out which ones you like and from which place.

Most of the time there is a max to how much can be added to all products otherwise you compromise the finished product and/or harm the skin.

Thank you so much everybody. Love the calculator too, that will really come in handy. Yes I've noticed the differences in some suppliers fragrances compared to others and all have their different strengths. I don't do soaps as much, but right now I'm playing with bath bombs and trying to figure out about how much I should use. I knew that I should only use about 1% for lotions etc, but right now I'm stuck on bath bombs. I want something with butter and light oils and maybe some polysorbate and on top of that trying to figure out how much scent I should use. I'm not really sticking to any one recipe, but making up my own. I've tried comparing recipes to get a general idea of how much fragrance to use, but with the butter and oil in there, I'm getting confused. Don't want to put in too much, but so far, they aren't as strong as I would like. Is there a guideline as to how much liquid to use per batch? Still playing though and learning so much from these boards! Don't worry, I won't give anything away until I'm certain of how well each product does and their safety. I couldn't live with myself if I cause some sort of reaction. That's why I'm here :cheesy2: