Pretty Sure I Got A Phony Website Order..

Candybee

Got one of those emails from someone saying they were interested in buying about 500-600 of my candles to give as gifts to their employees around Christmas time. Sounds nice huh?

Until I read that she would like "sample" candles of the different scents I offer.

So I replied that I would give her an estimate of the time, candles, and shipping costs if she wants to order. I also stated that I require payment prior to filling an order but that I would knock off the cost of a candle she purchased as a sample (with her order of course).

I hope I did the right thing. It could be ligit but I smell a rat.

Got one of those emails from someone saying they were interested in buying about 500-600 of my candles to give as gifts to their employees around Christmas time. Sounds nice huh?

Until I read that she would like "sample" candles of the different scents I offer.

So I replied that I would give her an estimate of the time, candles, and shipping costs if she wants to order. I also stated that I require payment prior to filling an order but that I would knock off the cost of a candle she purchased as a sample (with her order of course).

I hope I did the right thing. It could be ligit but I smell a rat.

I got the same email yesterday - except she said 800-1000 various sized candles from my site. She actually looked thru my site and picked the scents she wanted. Most of the emails I get like that they ask for scents I do not even carry.

To weed out some scams, I tell them they can order tarts for samples and when they place their order I will give them credit for what they already paid.

I replied to her with the turnaround time I would need and about the samples.

Who knows.

Wow! I got the same email 2 days ago. Says she wants to buy 800-1000 candles for her employees for Christmas gift baskets. Gave me her name and she's in Canton, OH. Verified as good addy on google maps. Her email is bgauto@yahoo.com and her name that appears in the email is "me". Almost deleted it, but thought, what the heck......

That ALWAYS sends a flag up! Yes, she wanted samples, and I told her that I would sell her up to 6 of my 9 oz. for my wholesale price and she would have to pay shipping. And upon receiving the order, I would reimburse her the cost of the candles only, not shipping. Well, ya know what, no response.

I receive at least 6 of these per year around this time. Listen gals, it's just a hoax for people targeting us for FREE stuff. I NEVER give anything away for FREE, it's just not good business sense in this business. That's why I say, give me the order PAID and I'll reimburse you for the candles.

I also received another email from someone that is interested in buying my bail handled jar candles (75 of them) for an incentive program they are having for their employees (ok, another flag!). I told her she could order blah blah blah and she's doing just that! If I don't get the order, oh well, I sold some candles and made a profit to boot! And maybe a future customer, but who knows.........IT'S JUST NOT FREE!

You know the old saying, and I tell my boys that everyday, AIN'T NOTHIN' FREE! NEVER give your work out for FREE~!

Now to mention the customer in GA. that placed a $200 order from me, wanted my star cut out lids too, gave them to her for FREE and ate $12 in shipping. Got raves on the candles, then on the 2nd order, 2 weeks later, which was a 24 jar candle order, all of a sudden they are CRAP! Bitch, bitch, bitch, she wants more FREE, says they don't smell at all, says wicks are off center, husbands upset, blah blah blah! yea right! Been in business for 7 years with NO complaints from anyone! Just be ware and "customer isn't always right", I don't care who you are!

Thanks ~ just had to "hijack this thread" and vent just a tad.

I'm off the rest of the week, have Austin County Fair parade tomorrow and have to go look at my nephews goats and pigs! Whoo Hoo!

TTFN gals!

Carrie

I got the same email from the same email address candlelady mentioned a few days ago. I replied in a similar fashion knowing it wasn't for real and haven't heard back from her again. I didn't think I would but I thought what the heck. She picked out 15 scents that she wanted me to send to samples of.

I got the same e-mail I pretty much gave them a time frame and told them they could order sample from my site and if they decided to order from me I would refund the sample purchase price. I also knew it was a bogus e-mail but there is always the slight chance that it was not so I responded.

Wow! I got the same email 2 days ago. Says she wants to buy 800-1000 candles for her employees for Christmas gift baskets. Gave me her name and she's in Canton, OH. Verified as good addy on google maps. Her email is bgauto@yahoo.com and her name that appears in the email is "me". Almost deleted it, but thought, what the heck......

OMG! This gal calls herself Diana Schmidt from Canton, OH. She named some of my scents in her email and mentioned gift baskets for her employees. She wanted to order candles and make gift baskets.`

Well she will have to use a new "name" now cause Diana you have been called out!:laugh2:

Wouldn't it be fun to know what this woman does for a living & bombard her w/ emails requesting a 'sample' of her work. Well, she obviously doesn't do too much of anything if she has time to 'shop' everyone's site & make specific requests. Sadly, I bet her efforts pay off & she successfully scams quite a few hard working, yet naive, people.

Susan.

I got an e-mail yesterday requesting samples, claims she wants to purchase items for gift baskets for co-workers and family members. I totally figured it was a scam looking for free samples. But I answered politely, and friendly. I said we charge $1 per sample to offset the cost of packaging and shipping. And asked her what products and what scents she'd like to sample. And I mentioned that we'd send her a GC for the cost of the samples that she could put towards her first purchase. I just got an e-mail with the scent & product requests. And asking how she should send me the money for them. My jaw hit the floor. I totally expected this to be a scam looking for freebies. Looks like it may not be. I still won't send anything out until I get her money in my hot little hand (she asked about sending it through the mail, which with my business paypal fees, might be better! LOL! Darn fees!).

So I'm glad I replied politely. Yeah, there are way too many scammers out there, but not every person that requests samples is a scammer.

I'm not shipping full sized samples. She asked for lotion samples. I use 1/2 sample containers at the most, which I get for dirt cheap. And it will easily ship first class. So yeah, I don't make anything off it, not really, but it's enough to weed out the true freebie seekers.

Usually it's enough to make them go look elsewhere. This is honestly the first time I've ever had someone come back and say 'sure, I'll take it'. Since I'm 'refunding' the sample cost anyway on their first order, I'm not too worried about. It's there mainly as a weeding process for me. After this experience, if I decide $1.00 wasn't enough, then I'll change it. I'm still just shocked I actually had a bite. These guys almost never do.

I keep meaning to create an actual SAMPLE PACK and put it on my website (I've got one on my supply site, but not my retail site... all this is regarding my retail site), but time... I don't have nearly enough of it. And I haven't decided how I want to set it up either. That's what has been holding me up more than anything honestly. I don't always have soap samples to send, but I can easily make up lotion samples.

I too responded politely and did get a response back. She asked if she ordered by next week if that would leave enough time to complete the order. It's a shame that we have to be so suspicious of every inquiry we get. Like I said before, the bogus order inquiries are getting old. I'm curious to see if she ends up ordering from any of us.

OMG! I sent her another email after she didn't respond to mine just kinda letting her know that maybe she wasn't for real.........OMG! She responded, that she owns a carpet company with 18 employees and was wanting to give them all a scented type gift basket for Christmas. Says, she is totally offended by me thinking she was a sham......Needless to say, I did apologize, because that's just how I am. But, think of this! 800-1000 candles for 18 employees, plus family and friends. Then she says she doesn't even like candles, and if she did, she go out and buy them. She did give me her name and tele number. I'm not calling her. Said she just wanted to see if my candes would burn nicely, etc. ...etc.... Anyway, I told her that we chandlers are a pretty tight-knit group and we do communicate our various dealings thru our sites and that we get tons of these types of emails that just lead to dead ends. Told her that she needed to inform the companies that she's emailing with more info. because we like to be able to verify, etc... (at least I do). Anyway, she went on and on and I apologized. So that's a dead end deal!

Anybody get a response to their offers?

OH, by the way, the only email she did respond to was the "sham" email. Hmmmm....didn't take us up on our offers? Who knows....:confused:

I'm done.

Have a great day all!

Carrie

Wouldn't it be fun to know what this woman does for a living & bombard her w/ emails requesting a 'sample' of her work. Well, she obviously doesn't do too much of anything if she has time to 'shop' everyone's site & make specific requests.
I've often wondered this myself. I certainly don't have the time to write to so many people asking for samples. What do these people do for a living, I wonder.
800-1000 candles for 18 employees, plus family and friends.

Hmm, that's 44 candles each. I sure would like to work for such a generous employer.

I've often wondered this myself. I certainly don't have the time to write to so many people asking for samples. What do these people do for a living, I wonder.

Hmm, that's 44 candles each. I sure would like to work for such a generous employer.

I interpreted the email to say her and her employees make the gift baskets to give away.

See in my e-mail she made it sound like she was having a party for 800-1000 people. Even at the biggest wedding I've ever been to there was only 250 - 350 people. I didn't even bother with a response she is famous for pulling this kind of crap. She has been around the block a few to many times, I just deleted the whole thing and didn't bother with a response.

Karen B

I'm certainly not saying this couldn't be legit. My single largest order was from the Tx Farm Bureau - 300 votives for a seminar. They contacted me cause I'm in the same city & use soy wax ... that good ole 'renewable source from American farmers'!

Even though she responded, I still smell a rat. That's a LOT of candles. She didn't offer any info upfront to explain her request & never asked about pricing or discounts for a large order. Wouldn't a business owner be thinking in those lines? Also, people tend to gift things they like & she says she doesn't like candles. So, why would she need a sample to see how it burns, when it's a product she doesn't like? Actually, someone who doesn't 'like' candles would logically say they want to know how the candles smell & not be knowledgeable enough to question the burn. I wouldn't have been rude, but I would have put her butt to the fire for more logical answers ... just in case! <grin>

Susan.

I'm convinced that some of the people who pull these scams are right here on the same boards we're on. How many times do people pop out of nowhere on here and ask to see your websites? I know there are people who get no sales and hardly any hits on their sites, yet someone miraculously finds their site and wants a zillion samples.

Candlelady, I find it odd that a carpet company would give out gift baskets containing so many candles for only 18 employees, especially considering that most carpet stores are staffed with men. For her to be offended that you thought it was a sham, says to me she's overreacting for a reason. I still say she's not legit. Maybe she does work at a carpet store, and she gave you her work number. It doesn't mean she has any authority to buy candles on behalf of the company. She's full of it. What person who doesn't even "like candles" would 1. think to sample them to make sure they burned perfectly, and 2. give them away for gifts?

If somebody has the nerve to pull this scam over and over, I say make them jump through some hoops. If they claim they want samples because they want to make a huge order for their company, and you think it's bogus, tell them to please send their request on company letterhead to you along with their company business card. I would also state that due to the volume of requests, only valid requests will be processed in the order in which they are received. If they mail a hokey letterhead or business card printed on their home computer toss it. If they call hounding you about samples, say you're still filling requests and haven't gotten to theirs yet.

Depending on how you deal with them, most legitimate businesses won't be so offended by you wondering if you're being scammed because they usually have people coming to them asking for handouts all of the time too and they will understand. Me personally, if I were the carpet store lady I probably would have laughed about it and brushed it off rather than getting in a huff. There are too many choices for candles out there and there's no need for anyone to get worked up because they were refused a sample. Any legitimate business person would have just contacted another supplier.