Diluting FO oil?

melpitt

I bought some FO s on Ebay several months ago. I know, I know!! Any how.. These things were so diluted that even bayberry scent smell had nothing but a very slight scent but the oil it was diluted with was more over powering. I did write the lady about them and she offered to have me send them back and she would do a refill. She wanted me to pay shipping to her and then back with the refills. I told her it wasn't worth it to me. I see now she is no longer an Ebay member. Now here is my question.. what do they normally cut FOs with? It doesn't smell like any oil I smelt before. Also why do they dilute oils? Thanks In Advanced

I can't tell you what they cut them with, but I am guessing it is probably the cheapest oil they can find. You have to watch who you buy from on ebay, I have heard horror stories. I would file against her with ebay and paypal, hopefully you used paypal. If she is no longer a member, you will probably be awarded your money back with no problem!!!:yay:

Usually FO are cut with DPG - Di-Propylene Glycol. It's colorless and has a slight alcohol scent. I only cut the oils I sell for oil warmers. DPG is a must have for incense making.

A really good Bayberry is hard enough to find. I wouldn't recommend eBay.

You CAN use it for that, in that sense it's similar to glycerine....but it's not usually what is recommended or preferred. But it is a pretty well rounded versitile safe medium for lots of applications. I guess you could almost think of it as a modern version of Mineral oil. Maybe, lol.

Here is a quick descrption I grabbed for ya off an Essential Oil Wholesaler site

Dipropylene Glycol,(DPG)

Dipropylene Glycol,(DPG),is used to tone down reactive agents found within chemicals, therefore producing a skin safe oil. Dipropylene Glycol is often used to make fragrance oils and essential oils safe for use on the skin, as well as ensuring they are suitable to use in potpourri mixes and oil burners. Our Dipropylene Glycol is panel selected to ensure low odor, superior quality and frangrance grade. Our DPG is Lo Odor Fragrance Grade, Manufactured by Dow Chemical. Our Dipropylene Glycol is a water-soluble, colorless, low-odor liquid with low volatility, which means it is also perfect for body sprays and perfumes. Use our Dypropylene Glycol to dilute your fragrance oils & essential oils without additional (unwanted) odor. Our DPG is colorless, so it will not change the color of your products.

We recommend using Dipropylene Glycol with other carrier oils and aromatherapy essential oils to create the perfect consitency fragranced body spray that will keep your skin silky smooth and provide all of the benefits our high quality essential oils have to offer.

I've purchased 'fragrance oils' off ebay as well, but they were not meant to be for candles... it was an actual 'perfume oil' more than anything. It would be like me buying a zillion 1 oz bottles half a zillion oz's of straight FO, and adding some to some Sweet Almond Oil, and selling it as a perfume or massage oil. They just don't describe very well so if you are new to this hobby it would seem like you are buying actual FO's.