Balsam Peru EO in Soap

BLSoaps

I'm working on a custom EO blend for a customer. It's mostly citrus scents, and we're looking to anchor it with some other scents, and trying some different alternatives. We're doing testers with Ginger (doing well so far), Patchouli (not my favorite, but it seems to work). They asked me to try Peppermint and Rosemary with the citrus (my brain is gagging already, but I know citrus mint is big right now... don't get it, but I know the trend is there).

I just received a small bottle of Balsam Peru EO in. I've been eyeballing this EO for quite a while, but the price tag kept turning me off. It's not totally outrageous, but pricey for soaps if it doesn't stick. Since it's going into a blend, I'm good with using it as part of the blend (btw, OOB it smells fabulous! I love EOs and their properties, but I don't always like how they smell).

But before I toss money down the drain, has anyone soaped this EO? Any info would be appreciated. I tried searching the Scent Review Board, but I think my search was too broad, since this EO can be purchased from any number of sources. I know the main thing I'm looking for is does it stick. After that, the normal A&D notes.

If it doesn't work in soap, then it'll still be gorgeous in lotions at least!

That's all I found either on the SRB. Blends, but no notes on how they worked, how they stuck. Which is why I came here... hoping to find someone with personal experience with the stuff. If all else fails, I'll make a small test batch.

Thanks though!

ah - when you said your search on the SRB was too broad because of the number of suppliers I interpreted that to mean you were searching within each supplier.

I know it was an ingredient in Balmex diaper cream back when I worked for the company that made it and it always reminded me of marshmallows. Don't know how it translates to real life tho!

Lindsay, I soap this EO. I bought it from EOU. I bought it back when it was only $15 a pound. Now that's gone up to $40 a pound (this was a sudden jump, not a gradual increase) I don't buy it anymore.

I don't do citrus blends so I can't tell you anything about that. But I have mixed it with cinnamon leaf EO, lavender EO, and anise EO (all separately) and they smelled wonderful. No problems with the scent fading. In case you're not aware, it will color your soap to brown.

P.S. No acceleration, unless you mix it with another EO which accelerates.

Thanks Suds!

This is exactly what I was looking for info wise. I just added an ounce onto an order that was already being placed, so it wasn't a big deal. But I can see this EO becoming an addiction, which may not be a good thing.

The notes about discoloring to brown are good to know. I thought it might, but I'll admit I was hoping otherwise. The scent sticking is EXCELLENT news though. I'm going to play around with it in some blends tomorrow. I just have a very top note heavy blend, and need something to round out the bottom end of the blend. And it needs to be something that won't drive me nuts, since I'll be making lots and lots of this soap once we nail down the scent formula. (a lot of EOs give me headaches because of how strong they are)

Carebear, it's a woodsy vanilla like smell. Subtle and rich and I think it will add some awesome depth to our blend.

We're toying with Cedarwood, and I'm going to be making a small test batch with it. We're trying to stay away from anything sensitizing, like black pepper, otherwise I'd have gone with small amounts of cinnamon and clove (I make a wonderful Gingered Orange Spice Soap, but it's got clove and cinnamon EOs in it. I haven't had any one experience issues with it, but I've always forewarned that the soap was not intended for sensitive skin. We need a blend that is pretty unisex, and well rounded enough for pretty much any skin type. So as much as I'd like to play with a little cinnamon or clove, or even black pepper (I love blending vanilla with black pepper.... I haven't done that in a while.... hmmmm.... I just got more Olive Oil yesterday.... ), we need to keep sensitizers out of the blend mix. So frustrating, but necessary. Thank you for the suggestions though!

Ah, now this is something that had not come up in any of the research that I had done so far. I admit I haven't researched it tons, but I hate websites that don't mention things like this. (one of my major pet peeves is the sites that recommend all the citrus EOs in lip balms but never mention the increased sensitivity to sun) I'll definitely research it further. Thanks for the heads up!