Welcome! It looks like you are already making soy wax candles. I love your presentation and how the bamboo containers look - are they non-flammable? If not, you will need a LOT of product liability insurance... I would suggest a metal or glass liner...

Since this food grade vegetable wax is so pure it can be used directly on the skin as a moisturizer or massage oil....

...We provide more fragrance in each candle than the suggested minimums to ensure an additional value.

Fragrance oils are used in candles in concentrations much higher than are recommended for skin use. And on your website, you are telling folks the melted wax is okay for skin use? Ummmm... not a good idea. Not on MY skin!

Our candles are HAND CRAFTED here in the U.S. using ALL NATURAL materials !!!

Do you consider Fragrance Oils to be "all natural"? Their ingredients DO come from this planet, but they are "better-scenting-through-chemistry," not essential oils.

I am DELIGHTED to see HANDCRAFTED IN THE US!!! Now THAT warms my heart!!:yay:

I really DO like what y'all have come up with, but I think you need to reword some of the statements on your website as they are erroneous and misleading.

Yes you can use the melted soy wax as a moisturizer on your skin as long as the fo is body safe.

FOs are safe on the skin WHEN USED AS DIRECTED. The typical usage rate for a skin care product is 1% for leave-on or up to 6% or so for wash-off products. Since your wax would likely be left on for a while and residue rubbed into skin without washing off I think the level generally used in candles would be outside of the recommended range.

You should verify this with your supplier, of course.

Glad to help, Clarence. :) As lovely as those candles are, you don't need to hype 'em!

I am still concerned about the flammability of the bamboo, though - there's a thread here about coconut shells and even though some folks are making and selling them, the consensus is that they are flammable... http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59286

I have an old bamboo vase my parents bought in Japan when I was a baby (which makes it about older than dirt) that has a copper lining so that it will hold water. I know copper wouldn't be a good choice for candles, but would zinc work? Sure would be better than having one catch on fire!:shocked2: You just can't depend upon people to use good sense when playing with fire...:rolleyes2

Stella, the candles are only made of 4-5 inch diameter bamboo. We have done much testing and the bamboo is grenn, therefore it does not want to burn, but it doesn't get hot enough on the sides to catch fire if it wanted to. Let me know if you want a sample to ease your mind. You sound like you have more knowledge on here than most anyone else

the bamboo is grenn, therefore it does not want to burn, but it doesn't get hot enough on the sides to catch fire if it wanted to.

That is about the scariest statement I have ever read. What do your warning labels say. What happens if it decides it wants to burn??

Carole

Stella, the candles are only made of 4-5 inch diameter bamboo. We have done much testing and the bamboo is grenn, therefore it does not want to burn, but it doesn't get hot enough on the sides to catch fire if it wanted to. Let me know if you want a sample to ease your mind. You sound like you have more knowledge on here than most anyone else

Don't make rash statements I have been making candle for over 20 year and professionally for over 7 years. You will find a whole lot of us have a ton of knowledge about candle making.

I also think bamboo is a bad idea because of the flammability. What happens when some one buys it but waits two years to burn it. Trust me a pretty candle people like to look at a long time before they burn them. Have you thought about lining the inside with foil or even coating the insides with a flame resistant paint.

Hey Bamboo... what's with your attitude? Your defensiveness makes it seem as though you don't know as much as you thought you knew about making candles. There is no shame in admitting that you have a lot to learn! But I can tell you that you'll get very little in the way of helpful advice here with your smart ass problem! chill a little bit and know that when you get questioned about something here you don't need to take it personally! It doesn't mean that we think you have a bad product, we're simply doing what chandlers naturally do.. question the things that seem different, off, wrong, or unusual to us. Please excuse most of us for not falling all over ourselves with awe over your candles. If that's all you wanted, perhaps you should take your links somewhere else. If you have nothing to worry about then I would think you wouldn't be so offended by the natural questions that you've been asked or the comments made about your candles so far.. Now go take your humble medicine and come on back when you can handle it here! We're not that bad once you get to know us! :)

The Clarence comment was directed at Chris R and not you Stella. He thought I was doing something with bad intent. Sorry if misunderstood

SHE still thinks it reads like an ad to gain distributors for your products, by the way you worded it. "Want to get into some tips on making and candle shows in the area." It's my opinion and I'm entitled to one. You don't introduce yourself as wanting to 'learn' anything, just touting your sites.

Sorry for calling you Clarence, bamboocandlemaker - I thought you had signed your message as "Clarence" rather than it being part of the earlier statement. Sometimes the term "thick as a brick" has been used to describe me...:embarasse

ANYWAY... I hope you'll look into the fireproof liner idea and hang around to learn more about veggie waxes, fragrances and general candlemaking fun! :)

I joined for education. To constantly learn about techniques and fragrances and everything else that ya'll like to talk about/ Why did you join Donita. Should everyone who posts on here tell us their reason for reading posts.

Looks like you are getting one.

Bolding mine.

As soon as I read the original post I heard the storm start brewing, but I really think everyone's done fairly well biting their tongues. I joined this group before the board crashed & spent many months doing nothing but reading, to get a 'feel' for how things work. Bamboo, once you've been around here a little longer you'll better understand our reaction. This is a wonderfully supportive & informative group w/ a LOT of experience. We take it personally when people (not you) blow in saying they've made candles for 2 wks, it's so easy & now they're selling. That's bad enough, but then they ask questions that further illustrates how truly dangerous they are. Consumers are seriously stupid people who have made candles the #3 reason for all housefires. With those kind of odds, we get a bit defensive when we see someone we think is literally playing w/ fire & giving us all a bad name. So, if you would have lurked for a couple weeks, I bet you would have re-worded your opening statement to better represent yourself!

I think your candles are really beautiful, but they scare the hell outta me. Not because I'm questioning your talents -- because I've seen 1st hand what a customer can do! I'd be interested in knowing how long you've made these, how long you've sold them & how you've tested them. Have you ever test burned top to bottom continuously & let the flame go out on its own? My biggest fear would be these babies going up like a torch. I've tested my containers over & over in one continuous burn, to see if the glass will crack or explode. I would also be very fearful of a consumer letting that candle sit around for a couple yrs. You say the bamboo is 'green', but have you tested an aged piece of bamboo to see what it will do? I admire your determination & creativity, but I don't have enough insurance, Vodka, or Vicodin to make me feel comfortable enough to sell those. BTW, where do you get the bamboo -- is it from a supplier that sells these as candle containers, kinda like the coconut shells? Please don't read any 'tone' into my questions -- I'm seriously interested in your answers.

Susan.