Business License if on-line shop only?

bbutterflyw

Hi,

I am planning to get my on-line soy candle store up and running on 11/1. I am wondering if others have gotten a business license if this is all they had. I am making the candles in my home but I will only sell them on-line, not out of my house (like a home retail) or a literal shop in town. I am concerned when filling out the business license registration that I have to put an address but I am renting this house and don't want to get into any zoning issues. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and how to handle it.

Thanks!

Hi,

I am planning to get my on-line soy candle store up and running on 11/1. I am wondering if others have gotten a business license if this is all they had. I am making the candles in my home but I will only sell them on-line, not out of my house (like a home retail) or a literal shop in town. I am concerned when filling out the business license registration that I have to put an address but I am renting this house and don't want to get into any zoning issues. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and how to handle it.

Thanks!

It will depend on your local and state laws. I live in AZ and I had to get my business license; and although I only make candles and do not sell out of my home (i.e. no customers on property) I still had to get approval from the city and from the fire department. If you are renting, I would definitely get the approval of your landlord first as the forms I had to submit to the city here required signed approval from your landlord if you rent. Considering this is something that can affect your landlord's insurance, it would only be fair of you to notify them.

You should be able to find a wealth of information from your Secretary of State website. Most states require it as if you make sales that are in your state, you still need to collect taxes and in AZ I am required a transaction tax license as well.

Ditto what Di said. Depending on your city / county / state, the *type* of sales tax license you obtain may be different when you're doing online only. My business license indicates somewhere that I will be doing primarily online sales without a physical store location (still lets me sell at craft fairs once in awhile).

Check with your city / county -- most will allow a Home Occupation license depending on what category of business it is -- crafting generally does not cause an issue.

Good luck!