Easy Beginner Goat Milk Soap

Crafty1_AJ

Can someone explain water discount to me, please?:embarasse The receipe calls for 12 oz. GM and 12 oz. water. So, are you talking taking away some of the water? Sry, just learning the lingo, lol

Can someone explain water discount to me, please?:embarasse The receipe calls for 12 oz. GM and 12 oz. water. So, are you talking taking away some of the water? Sry, just learning the lingo, lol

Yes, a water discount is using less water than called for so that the soap will cure/harden faster. Some people always discount their water. Some people never do. I'm one of the never do's, because I'm not sure enough of my soap making abilities to change the percentages that soapcalc gives. And I definitely wouldn't try a water discount on a recipe with milk in it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey, sorry it took me so long to get back and answer your questions! *blushes* I do not recommend water discounting in the following circumstances:

1. Newbie soaper. :)

2. Using ingredients that accelerate trace and heat things up.

Milk, honey, and some spicy/perfumey/floral fo's are definite heater-upper, trace speeders. So if you are new to soapmaking with milks, I'd definitely use the full water amount recommended and not discount until you've gotten some experience under your belt. A general rule of thumb I use is 6 oz. water per pound of soap oils/fats. I'd say save discounting for castiles. ;)

Now as to covering the soap in the fridge? I wouldn't, but then I never put my soaps in the fridge. :) I don't mind if my soaps go to gel, and even if they heat up a bit, the worst that's ever happened is they get a little sweat on top (which I just blot off with a paper towel). No biggie! I encourage gel personally -- just my preference. I like the harder/firmer texture you get sooner when soaps gel. Ungelled soaps (for me) stay softer/stickier longer, and impatient AJ can't stand waiting to cut. :laugh2:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...