What causes this to happen???

I had some candles stored in a card board box with dividers..

I was getting them out, and it looked like some of them

had expanded, the wax had grew and almost was covering

the wicks... when I had made them and cut the wicks they were all at the

proper height..Has this happened to you, and what do you do? :o

I had this happen with some candles I had placed at a local business for sale. They were canning jars stored in the flat boxes in which they were purchased. I discovered that they were stored on top of a big beer box cooler... I think the heat from behind the cooler may have caused this. What is strange was that it only occurred with ONE FO and none of the others stored in the same carton.

Coincidentally, I broke out one of them last night to burn. The wax had "grown" around the wick and I had to melt the excess from around it to light! I had a tester from that batch that I had burned halfway down, so it was not stored under the same conditions, etc. Much to my surprise, after I melted the "bloomed wax" from around the wick, both containers burned exactly the same.

The hot throw, BTW, was outstanding! When I originally began testing it a week after it was poured, the hot throw was OK, but nothing to write home about. Both candles have "cured" for several months now and I was knocked out by the HT! I was burning these on my front porch, so usually hot throw is impossible to judge there because of the open air and breezes. Not last night! Despite the gentle breeze, my porch smelled GREAT!!

So the bottom line 8Gran1s, is that yes, it has happened to me once; not sure why; the candle seemed fine when burned. If I had wanted to sell these, I would have heatgunned the tops.

Yes, happened to me, too. The filled jelly jars were in a shop and the air conditioning went out ... the candle expanded so much you could only see the little hole where the wick was. Happened with only 3 of the 14 aromas I carry there. Candles poured at the same time but kept at 80 degrees were all fine. These were not in a box - but on the shelf.

I live in Calif. But they have always been stored in my house..I try to keep my house temp. around 75 to 79 degrees..that is what I have my thermostat at. But we have been having some strange weather..so who knows..I just heat gunned the top of 2 and took off just a small amount with a pipette, and they look like they will be fine..

thanks for the replies..I will say when I took the lids off some of them,,they smelled so good and strong..a really good CT

It's happens to me too, always when the weather gets really humid I notice it. Never have it happen in the winter months. Funny how it will happen to one candle out of a batch and not the others...can't explain that one!! I just heat gun the tops when this happens and they are good to go again!! Well...until the next eruption! So far I've never had it happen twice to the same candle...but...never say never!

xx.gifWick Disappears! paperclip.gif wick_bubble1.jpg

« on: Jun 27th, 2005, 5:05pm »I have had candles, sweat and get oily, but never a huge bubble like on a pizza pie!! My wick completely disappeared!

Both these candles swelled up, it has been pretty hot. I just zapped them with the heat gun and all was fine. Just thought it was weird!!

wick_bubble1.jpg

Yep, mine looked just like the one on the left. I haven't had a wick disappear yet, but I won't be surprised now if it happens!!

Yeah it's a common form of soy suckiness. Changes in the crystallinity of the wax can not only cause frosting but make the wax expand with temperature fluctuations or simply with time. I put an assortment of CB-135 tins in a closet for a year and every one of them did that, with variations according to FO. Unless you use some kind of stable blend, soy candles are best sold as quickly as possible.

Changes in the crystallinity of the wax can not only cause frosting but make the wax expand

Yep, this type of problem is a little different from frosting, though in that the expanded weird wax actually feels grainy... Haven't had this happen to any old candles, but frost certainly does occur frequently over time. The wax formula that I use seems pretty stable for long periods of time but is still quite sensitive to temperature fluctuations. I also don't think we can rule out that some components of FO have a direct bearing on the wax structure of soy wax over time, as so many were developed for paraffin.

I wish I had taken a picture, dadgummit! The wax on mine looked a little like cauliflower that had erupted and was nearly covering the wick in an area about 3/4" in diameter. All the others from the batches we poured the same day were fine - only the one FO had this problem. The others were stored under identical conditions, and had the same dyes, etc., so I have to think it was something peculiar to that FO...