Laundry Detergent

southern.scents

Not sure where this would go but I was just wondering if anyone had tried making scented laundry detergent. My mom has been begging me to make some so I picked up a box of unscented powdered detergent and mixed in some FO. It smells great. I am worried that the FO may mess up the clothes but she was determined... so we used it on some of our beach towels so that if they did get ruined it would not matter too much. I will let you all know how they turn out.

not sure about the USA, but I think there may be legal implications if you tried to sell it in the UK?

I think it is against the law to repackage some other company's product and then sell it as your own, whether you add FO to it or not? Not sure, but I asked this question a long time ago to some trading official and they gave me that reply...but then I wasn't going to add FOto it, was just gonna repackage and resell.

Call me an idiot, but why would anybody scent unscented detergent and sell it as a product? Is that what making stuff is all about? I can see using bases in b&b, especially when they are used to round out a certain line, but to just buy detergent and pour fo's into it and resell it...? And once you've bought the detergent, the fo's, the packaging, can you really charge enough for it to make something resembling a profit? Are there actually people out there that would buy scented unscented laundry detergent for a small fortune, and what's next, scented unscented kitty litter? I think I'll go back to bed!

It's a product that I would like to sell but as for now just for personal use. I can get the laundry detergent by the case at wholesale prices so by time I add fragrance I can sell it for around the same price as what it actually retails for. I think that is something that people might be interesed in buying and using.

Not sure where this would go but I was just wondering if anyone had tried making scented laundry detergent.

BTW, you are not "making" anything. You are merely adding scent to an already finished product, something any five-year-old can do.

Especially since he is a minor and any legal issues will fall onto the parents, not him! She should really be totally hands on with all of this. No way would I let any of my kids create any type of product to sell to the public for consumption before they hit 18, the age of liability. No way am I gonna be the one in court because my minor child created something that harmed someone else. Hell I won't even let the 11 and 9 year old have a lemonade stand to sell to their friends lol!

ANgi

I have seen that on Judge Judy (I know I know but I love her rofl!). Always something to do with cars or phones and some dork decided to go into a contract with a minor and it just does not hold up in court for anything so she ends up turning to the parents letting them know that since their minor can not legally enter into a contract that they have now become responsible!

Not me, no way, thankyou very much lol!

I have no problems getting mine to do laundry lol! If not then they get to go nekkid to school ROFL!

Angi

I hope this KID has great product insurance because I've been reading his post for awhile and having a great laugh. Maybe he wants to make the laundry detergant in his NEW stainless steel kitchen where he is going to make and sell jams andjellies as well!:shocked2: YIKES!!!!:tiptoe: And let's not forget all the permits either!:confused:

Fire

I don't even think a minor would be able to do all that. Which is why I sure hope his parents are more on hand and they need to get a handle on all that he is offering or wanting to offer. A lawsuit will be fastly approaching with that list of offered items and I sure wouldnt' want to be in their shoes let me tell you. Because it won't be the minor that will have to pay, it's gonna be the parents.

Angi

P.S. he certainly couldn't make laundry soap in his NEW kitchen that also produces jams and jellies..major major breaking of regulations right there rofl!

I don't even think a minor would be able to do all that. Which is why I sure hope his parents are more on hand and they need to get a handle on all that he is offering or wanting to offer. A lawsuit will be fastly approaching with that list of offered items and I sure wouldnt' want to be in their shoes let me tell you. Because it won't be the minor that will have to pay, it's gonna be the parents.

Angi

P.S. he certainly couldn't make laundry soap in his NEW kitchen that also produces jams and jellies..major major breaking of regulations right there rofl!

YOU & I KNOW that but I guess maybe this kid thinks he KNOWS it all! I have a friends who made Goat Milk Fudge for years and not only had to build a new kitchen seperate from his other kitchen, he had to have is goat milk parlor inspected once a month too! All of the milk gathering equipment had to be stainless steel too. He spent thousands and thousand bringing everything up to standards to allow the fudge to be made and sold to the public!

Then he he spent years making and selling to pay for the upgrade. When it was all paid off, he sold the business because it was too much work!

This kid is jumping around because he is easily bored too but a lawsuit can happen down the road!

I wonder if he is making sure the scents are skin safe????:shocked2:

Fire

Well, I realize that prices vary greatly in different countries and areas. 8 oz of good quality homemade jam in my area costs anywhere from $5.00 - $8.50. He's selling a pound for I think $5.00. He won't be paying off his kitchen anytime soon. His jams and jellies seem to have been a spur-of-the-moment thing like everything else, so God knows where he is making it.